Ww1 Convalescence Belt

sando

I have come into the position of a belt made by my great grandfather whilst convalescing from injuries suffered in WW1, his name as Thomas Rycroft, the date on the belt is 1917 an he died aged 37 in 1919, we think from injuries sustained in WW.

The belt also has two groups of letters, SIBR and RFAS along with a number of flags. the flags we think are Hungary, Serbia, Russia, Italy and possibly Belgium and France.

My grandfather William Rycroft was 9 when his father died, his mum passed away in childbirth when he was 2, so we have very little family history other than a photo of his father and mother and this belt. He was brought up by a number of aunties.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Could the letters be the capital letters of the country to which the adjacent flag belongs. I'm not well up on flags but I can see:
France by F,
Australia by A.
R is by the old Russian Flag
I is by the Italian flag

Simply crying out for a 1911 censes search ....

Here they are, lodging with Mr and Mr Barnsley at Upper Allen Street, no sign of mum though:

I think I might have found Thomas on the 1911 census:

Thomas Rycroft 30 carter in iron works

Thomas Rycroft 3

William Rycroft 1

They were boarding with Albert & Julia Barnsley at 23 court 11 house Alen Street.

Although it said he was married the information was crossed out.

Hope this helps. By the way I do cross stitch and I can appreciate how much work has gone into the belt. It's lovely.

Jenny

Jen, Edmund, Vox.

That's great information, thank you for your help. the work on the belt is very intricate and must of taken lots of patience, the photos don't really do it justice.

Its interesting that the marriage entry was crossed out, I wonder if the death occurred around the time census was completed?

Free BMD: Marriage, Thomas Rycroft to Clara Pearson, December quarter 1908, Sheffield.

(The Charlotte Pearson on the 1911 census is most probably Clara's mother).

Birth Registrations: Thomas Rycroft, Mar Q 1908, Richard Rycroft, Mar Q 1909, William Rycroft Mar Q 1910, Lawrence Rycroft, Jun Q 1911 and Arthur Rycroft,

Dec Q 1912, all Sheffield.

Clara Rycroft aged 27yrs, died at Union Hospital and was buried 11th Nov., 1912 at City Road Cemetery.

Richardus Rycroft of 3/6 Newcastle Street, born 19/1/1909, Baptised 7th Feb 1909 at St. Maries R.C. Church, Sheffield. Parents, Clarae Pearson and Thomae.

Richard Rycroft buried 16th Oct 1909 At City Road Cemetery.

Marriage, William Rycroft (residing at 5 Attercliffe Road ) fathers name, Thomas Rycroft to Elizabeth Leigh (residing at 29 Netherfield Rd) father Edwin Leigh,

on 28th Dec 1935 at St. Vincents (R.C.) Sheffield.

Burial: Thomas Rycroft (shoe maker aged 37) died at 12 Dorking St. Buried 31 May, 1919 at Burngreave Cemetery.

Moira.

Hi

My mum has now found the two photos attached, which show my great granddad Thomas and wife Clara, both look as though they are in uniform, but we cannot trace any war record or regiment, the only thing I can find is a Thomas Rycroft from Goole / Hull.

70 percent of WWI service records were destroyed in a fire during the Second World War so finding a service record is quite unlikely. However, a medal card should be easy enough to find. Also, the uniform the man is wearing in the first two photos looks like a pre WWI uniform to me so that deserves some further investigation. Possibly a local militia?