Woodyards in Sheffield

Guest janice844

Guest janice844

I'm still looking into the origins of my house at Norton Lees, it was build by Fredrick Thomas Walker who lived at the nearby 'Woodlands,' he was the founder of the Ketton Cement Company in 1925 but at around the same time he is down as building my 'ketton cement bungalow' and it states he was a timber merchant.

I'm not sure where the 'Woodlands' was for a start but there's a Woodlands Rd nearby, what I'm after is where he ran the timber buisiness from? There must have been quite a few woodyards in Sheffield at the time, a neighbour says his father used to mention the carters bringing the wood up to the building site in the 20's, so maybe the yard wasn't too far away???

I could do with a map from that era, to have a scout around. Also, any information on Mr Walker, who died in 1932, would be much appreciated.

I'm still looking into the origins of my house at Norton Lees, it was build by Fredrick Thomas Walker who lived at the nearby 'Woodlands,' he was the founder of the Ketton Cement Company in 1925 but at around the same time he is down as building my 'ketton cement bungalow' and it states he was a timber merchant.

I'm not sure where the 'Woodlands' was for a start but there's a Woodlands Rd nearby, what I'm after is where he ran the timber buisiness from? There must have been quite a few woodyards in Sheffield at the time, a neighbour says his father used to mention the carters bringing the wood up to the building site in the 20's, so maybe the yard wasn't too far away???

I could do with a map from that era, to have a scout around. Also, any information on Mr Walker, who died in 1932, would be much appreciated.

1925 DIR.

Walker Frederick Thomas-manufacturer of sectional oak & stone buildings

Derbyshire Lane, Meersbrook Bank -tel.no. central 1274

House -The Woodlands, Norton Lees

Guest janice844

1925 DIR.

Walker Frederick Thomas-manufacturer of sectional oak & stone buildings

Derbyshire Lane, Meersbrook Bank -tel.no. central 1274

House -The Woodlands, Norton Lees

Thankyou, fast work!

So Frederick's carters didn't have far to come with the oak and stone/concrete, but it's all uphill, I presume it was at the bottom of Derbyshire Lane as if I put Meersbrook Bank in 'Google Earth,' it comes up with Meersbrook Bank School.

I'm still not sure where The Woodlands was though, there's a Woodland Road near Newfield School, it might have been there, I've a feeling it might have been one of the big posh houses that was here, and there might be some photos on Picture Sheffield....

I'm still after a map from about 100 years ago.

Thankyou, fast work!

So Frederick's carters didn't have far to come with the oak and stone/concrete, but it's all uphill, I presume it was at the bottom of Derbyshire Lane as if I put Meersbrook Bank in 'Google Earth,' it comes up with Meersbrook Bank School.

I'm still not sure where The Woodlands was though, there's a Woodland Road near Newfield School, it might have been there, I've a feeling it might have been one of the big posh houses that was here, and there might be some photos on Picture Sheffield....

I'm still after a map from about 100 years ago.

If you go to

http://www.gleadless.net/index.htm

Then look in maps, ordnance survey, 1924 and upper left section and you will be able to see exactly where Woodlands was.

It looks like Ketton Avenue and Essendine Crescent are on the land nowadays.

Guest janice844

Thanks JohnH,

You're right about the land we think. I'm after a photo of the Woodlands now, I think there's on of Thorpe House so I might be lucky, it sounds quite posh!