Remember These?

tozzin

Either I am being immensely thick, or you're referring to the trellis-like structure at the edge of the roof. No, I don't remember them. I would guess that they are to catch any loose, falling tiles but I could be way off the mark. Do please enlighten us.

Now you have awakened a memory! The houses on our road had small front gardens, but quite nearby there were streets where the houses came right up to the pavement. I remember when we got a sunny warmer day after snowfall, sometimes you would hear a slow whoosh! followed by a dull thunk! as the snow slid down the pitched roofs and hit the pavement or street. So yes, you could be absolutely right about that trelliswork.

Funny that I don't ever remember seeing any, but then as a boy I wasn't in the habit of walking around staring up at house eaves.

Yes they were to prevent snow falling on to people, the one in the photo is directly over the front door of the property, you could also see them over looking any glass conservatories that were attached to the house.

Yes they were to prevent snow falling on to people, the one in the photo is directly over the front door of the property, you could also see them over looking any glass conservatories that were attached to the house.

The other thing on the photo that you do not see today is the wooden guttering.

I seem to remember in the 60's being told not to replace the wood with metal as this was not allowed. The reason being that due to the acid in the rain from the poor air quality in Sheffield metal would fail much faster than wood.

Many years ago a neighbour used to park her caravan close to the side of her house for the winter. After one heavy snowfall the whole lot slid off the roof and stove in the roof of the van. The insurance company refused to pay out as she hadn't fitted a snowguard to the roof.