Railway Line Over Wicker Arches

Stentor

A year or two ago i had a poke around up there and was chased off by Network Rail staff - i believe it is used on occasion although i don't think i have ever seen a train going over the arches. It is certainly still railway property!

It is still used to transfer steel to and fro from the Stocksbridge Steel Works and Rotherham. It's only single track and works on a only one train on the track at a time basis.

I'm not sure of the frequency of trains but I think it's several a week.

Works shunters take and fetch the trains to/from Deepcar Sidings where Network Rail or whatever they're called take over.

The main line past Deepcar Sidings was removed.

HD

You only need to look at the top of a railway line to see if it still used regularly. If it shines it's in use. If it is rusted over then no. It will soon loose it's shine. When the Supertram wasn't running last summer, the Herdings Park line rusted over quick.

It is still used to transfer steel to and fro from the Stocksbridge Steel Works and Rotherham. It's only single track and works on a only one train on the track at a time basis.

I'm not sure of the frequency of trains but I think it's several a week.

Works shunters take and fetch the trains to/from Deepcar Sidings where Network Rail or whatever they're called take over.

The main line past Deepcar Sidings was removed.

HD

A bit more information:

The only regular use for the line to Deepcar is steel from Aldwarke to Stocksbridge. As Hilldweller says, the mainline loco brings the train to Deepcar Exchange Sidings with the wagons being taken from Deepcar to Stocksbridge by the steel works locos (all Janus type 0-6-0 diesels made by Yorkshire Engine Company.

In the working timetable Deepcar Exchange Sidings is referred to as Stocksbridge Works and the Aldwarke location is referred to as Aldwarke UES - don't think it has been UES for some time :blink:.

The Aldwarke to Deepcar trains are scheduled in the working timetable to run every day, but Saturday and Sunday trips are less likely to run than Monday - Friday. The train certainly ran Monday & Tuesday this week and Wednesday, Thursday & Friday last week - I can't currently check back beyond 7 days ago.

Current Monday to Friday timings are

6J57 Aldwarke UES depart 1816, arrive Stocksbridge Works 1902

6J58 Stocksbridge Works depart 2033, arrive Aldwarke UES 2120

although early running is not unusual.

The only other scheduled service on the line is the railhead treatment train which runs as required in autumn only.

As Hilldweller says, the mainline loco brings the train to Deepcar Exchange Sidings with the wagons being taken from Deepcar to Stocksbridge by the steel works locos (all Janus type 0-6-0 diesels made by Yorkshire Engine Company.

When Hilldweller worked at the steelworks he had a close shave with a Janus Locomotive.

I was making my weary way back to the workshop with a heavy toolbag over my shoulder after a busy shift.

I approached the top entrance to the billet mill where a set of rail lines curved off the main track in the mill.

The loco's had a large bell fastened above one of the cranks with a bit of rubber attached to the clapper to warn people of an approaching loco.

I could hear a loco clang-clanging as it approached and looking over my shoulder saw that it had left the main line and was going into the mill.

I stopped about 8 feet short of the billet mill line and began to think about going home.

The loco sounded his air horns very urgently and I looked over my shoulder to see the loco heading straight for me.

It was only when I'd jumped out of the way that I realised that the train had left the tracks and was ploughing it's own furrow through the asphalt.

With a full load of waggons carrying ingots behind, he was having trouble stopping.

HD

Current Monday to Friday timings are

6J57 Aldwarke UES depart 1816, arrive Stocksbridge Works 1902

6J58 Stocksbridge Works depart 2033, arrive Aldwarke UES 2120

although early running is not unusual.

The only other scheduled service on the line is the railhead treatment train which runs as required in autumn only.

The 6J57 Aldwarke UES was certainly on time tonight, just heard it go past.

The 6J57 Aldwarke UES was certainly on time tonight, just heard it go past.

By the wonders of technology I can tell you that it left Aldwarke 9 minutes early (well it did according to the Network Rail train movement recording system TRUST)

Anyone know the date and time of the next one. I would like to see the Springs again by rail. W/E.

The loco appears to be 61626 a class B17 named "Brancepeth Castle". The engine was built in 1931 and withdrawn from service in 1959.

As a sometime" Ian Allen"addict I have to say I don't ever recall seeing that loco in Sheffield. From memory I recall B17s were common on a boat train to /from Harwich. ( Parkeston Quay)

The loco appears to be 61626 a class B17 named "Brancepeth Castle". The engine was built in 1931 and withdrawn from service in 1959.

As a sometime" Ian Allen"addict I have to say I don't ever recall seeing that loco in Sheffield. From memory I recall B17s were common on a boat train to /from Harwich. ( Parkeston Quay)

Withdrawn 11/01/1960, based in East Anglia, shed allocations from 1948 were Norwich, Kings Lynn, March and finally Cambridge, could have got this far north. Of course it could be the artist's favourite loco so he included it in his work|

Nigel L

Was looking for one with Blackpool on for another thread and came across this which seems to be Lytham Road Blackpool

Thanks for the invert, wonder what year for the tram.

neddy, why have we got a Blackpool tram in a Wicker Arches topic?

:unsure:

neddy, why have we got a Blackpool tram in a Wicker Arches topic?

:unsure:

First port of call on a transport thread, did it stop at Wicker arches?, perhaps you could put it on the right track. :)