Farm Buildings

Stuart0742

Mentioned in a topic about Norfolk Park Rd

So when did the Midland Railway take over "The Farm"

It may have been discussed before

Mentioned in a topic about Norfolk Park Rd

So when did the Midland Railway take over "The Farm"

It may have been discussed before

We have discussed The Farm before, but I cannot see anything about the date of purchase by the Midland Railway.

John Dunstan, in "The Origins of the Sheffield and Chesterfield Railway" (Dore Village Society, 1970) has the following:

"Between 1899 and 1905 the track between Dore and Sheffield Midland was widened on the east side to take four lines instead of two, and island platforms were constructed at Dore and the intermediate stations. The Company purchased The Farm and opened up the tunnel there. Near Olive Grove a dive-under was built to take the main-Line northbound trains under the Chinley trains to tbe new Platform I, the Midland Station being extended towards Pond Street. But all this is another story"

So between 1899 and 1905, perhaps

So between 1899 and 1905, perhaps

1905 directory has this.

Granville Road

Midland Railway Co. District Superintendent's Offices

Midland Railway Co. District Manager's Offices

Nothing shown in the 1901 directory, we could do with the 1903 directory.

Richard!

A rifle club has just been formed at Sheffield in connection with the staff of the Midland Railway Company. ... construction of the range, which will be situated in the grounds attached to the Farm, Granville Road, will be proceeded with at once.

Useless link, The Railway News, Volume 92.

A rifle club has just been formed at Sheffield in connection with the staff of the Midland Railway Company. ... construction of the range, which will be situated in the grounds attached to the Farm, Granville Road, will be proceeded with at once.

Useless link, The Railway News, Volume 92.

I played in that when I was younger, the caretakers always referred to it as the Rifle Butts

I played in that when I was younger, the caretakers always referred to it as the Rifle Butts

A butt being somewhere that you shoot from. As in the "grouse butts" dotted around the moors, but also the area, behind a target on a target range, where the shot or bullet is stopped safely.

Odd isn't it ? A novice might be told to "always shoot towards the butt" lol

(Although to be fair, I think the correct term for the ones behind the targets is "stop butts")