"firths" But Not The Steelworks

saw119

This could probably have gone in Sheffield Places Now Gone but I'm posting it here. Inspired by our recent discussion re. Outrages I began a little bit of research into it to find that my family were involved as they were saw grinders. I am mostly looking through the old newspaper reports and have identified at least two direct ancestors and marvellously where they did their grinding. One was easy to locate, Tower Wheel, but the other is simply named as Firths in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent of June 24th 1867 re. the attempted shooting of Hellewell. Does anyone here know where this Firths was?

Edit: I think it may have been Savile st.

One and the same company I believe, Norfolk Works in Savile Street. Firths made tools as well as steel. From Graces Guide:

1850 By this time the company had expanded and had 25 workers. Thomas Firth died and the company moved to the Norfolk works in Sheffield. Mark Firth took over the running of the business, helped by his brothers.

Although this advert is from 1882 it shows their product range extended beyond just steel

Edmund...you just beat me to it!...In 1842 Mark Firth and his brother Thomas, founded the company which, by 1850 had 25 employees and was operating from Norfolk Works on Savile Street. They later merged with John Brown to become Thos.Firth and John Brown.Ltd