Royal Hotel, 2 Finley St

Meersbrook

Hi,

I have looked for but can't find Royal Hotel on Finley St, I think. Landlord is a Alexandra Tillott. Bit of old age creeping on. Is this any use for your list.

Phil

It looks like it is listed as the Royal Albion, that is useful as it gives an address (2 Finlay Street), thanks Phil,

what year is it please?

Royal Albion
Hammond Street/Finlay Street
Open 1881
Closed
Span
Comments
Earlier
1881 James Warburton (Beer Retailer)
1891 Alexander Tillott

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/3531-pubs-n-to-s-keepers-picture-links/page-14#entry19022

2 Finlay Street.

1879 Stanley George, beerhouse

1901 Gabbatiss William, beerhouse

1905 Gabbatiss William, beerhouse

1911 Gabbatiss Mrs. Sarah J. beerhouse

1925 Lenthall Thos. Hy. beerhouse

It looks like it is listed as the Royal Albion, that is useful as it gives an address (2 Finlay Street), thanks Phil,

what year is it please?

Royal Albion

Hammond Street/Finlay Street

Open 1881

Closed

Span

Comments

Earlier

1881 James Warburton (Beer Retailer)

1891 Alexander Tillott

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/3531-pubs-n-to-s-keepers-picture-links/page-14#entry19022

Year of census. re the codes at bottom/side of census I think they mean

RG 7==1841

RG 8==1851

RG 9==1861

RG 10==1871

RG 11==1881

RG 12==1891

RG 13==1901

So RG 12 is the 1891 census

Phil

Year of census. re the codes at bottom/side of census I think they mean

RG 7==1841

RG 8==1851

RG 9==1861

RG 10==1871

RG 11==1881

RG 12==1891

RG 13==1901

So RG 12 is the 1891 census

Phil

Thanks Phil

Guest angel

Royal Albion, Finlay St.   My great grandfather Thomas Lenthall was licencee  till my maternal grandmother took over from him. She was Elsie Twell (nee Lenthall), and ran it until she died in 1945, by which time she had remarried a man called Walker (not sure of his Christian name but could probably find out) and I believe he took over the pub.

15 hours ago, angel said:

Royal Albion, Finlay St.   My great grandfather Thomas Lenthall was licencee  till my maternal grandmother took over from him. She was Elsie Twell (nee Lenthall), and ran it until she died in 1945, by which time she had remarried a man called Walker (not sure of his Christian name but could probably find out) and I believe he took over the pub.

ELSIE TWELL 
married
WILLIAM WALKER

My great grandmother, Mary Riley (1857-1924) married the widower Thomas Lenthall in 1888. She brought 2 children with her (Florence Riley, b. 1880) and Alfred Riley (b. 1888). She had given birth to my grandmother Lilian Riley in 1882, but Lilian was adopted in 1884 from the Ecclesall Bierlow Union workhouse by a couple living in Stockport. Mary and Thomas had a son named Robert Riley Lenthall in 1891. Thomas died in Feb of 1893; Mary gave birth to a son in Dec 1893 whose father was Thomas's son by his first wife (James Albert Lenthall) -- Mary's stepson. She then had two daughter with him -- in 1895 and 1898. I have matched DNA with the descendants of Robert Riley Lenthall, who now live in Ecuador. (James Albert Lenthall married Sarah Lodge in 1901 and had 7 more children,)