Long Established Companies Sheffield?

duckweed

How can I find what long established businesses there are? I know Tyzacks, Taylors Forgemasters & Edwards Pryor.

When I look up websites there are websites for businesses which are definitely no longer there as the building has been sold and turned into student flats. Some businesses have been amalgamated. Looking for companies which started in Sheffield and has stayed in Sheffield and are over 70 years old.

There must be a lot of cutlery and steel manufacturing businesses that fall into this category, but for starters. -

George Wostenholm, cutler's mark granted 22/12/1694

Edgar Allen, first cutler's mark granted 1733

William Wilkinson, established 1730

Samuel Osborn, cutler's mark granted 1770

William Jessop, established 1793

Thomas Jowitt, established 1848

Joseph Rodgers, cutler's mark granted 1682

And Dixons must be in there somewhere.

But are they still in business?

Rodgers yes even though they have moved.

Footprint Tools now in Hillsborough.

Spear And Jackson works only for Argos

Nowill which is now part of J Adams group

Wostenholme & Sons established 1785 they are now part of Eggington Brothers

Inkermann

Fletcher Robinson

The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire was founded in 1624 and its first Master was a Robert Soresby....There is still a well established company in Sheffield called...Robert Sorby ...Another one with an unbroken ancestry is Pryor Marking Technology who were founded in 1849 and are still hard at work producing marking tools and instruments.

A few more.....Richard Groves, Beehive Works...est 1770, Sheffield Assay Office...est 1773, Norton's, Rutland Road...est 1844 and, of course, the oldest Football Club in the world...Sheffield FC...est 1857.

I am currently researching a number of firms in connection with a book of the illustrations from Pawson and Brailsford's Illustrated Guides (1862-1899). I've just done Joseph Rodgers and found some good info on the Eggington Group web-site e.g. http://www.eggintongroup.co.uk/history/the-history-of-joseph-rodgers.html - this includes a link to early 1900s book of the history of the company at http://www.eggintongroup.co.uk/assets/files/PDFs/Under%20Five%20Sovereigns.pdf .

There are also potted hstories of the other companies now in the group - George Ibberson, and George Wostenholme. The groups also includes Eggington's themselves, and William Rodgers. They still produce knives under each of these names.

Adrian

Sheffield Forgemasters used to be English Steel Corporation (part of Vickers Group) although it had 2 pariods of being nationalised & then denationalised. I think it origially dates from 1928

Faireys Bathrooms on Penistone Road,formerly of Crookesmoor Rd & Barber Road.Estd. 1929.