How Did These 2 Houses Escape ?

vox

Hollybank Drive.

One of them was advertised for sale many years ago,and we went to have a look.

When I got on the road of new houses, I thought I must have the wrong address.

Drove past it twice before finding the pair set back from the road.

Google Streetview shows what I mean

I'm not surprised. Having spent the past 12 months looking for interesting places to photograph Sheffield is full of old and quirky buildings showing up in the middle of modern housing and industrial estates.

A friend of mine lives in one of these houses which are owned by the council, they used to live in a Dance Studio that was situated at No 2 Myrtle Rd, her Mum in the picture ( in the middle) was a Buffer at George Butlers that was on Sidney St. The photo was taken in the Buffing Shop on Sidney St.

That's an interesting question. But looking at a Google map of the area in 'satelite view' it appears the houses in this area are all different ages. For example, those opposite and to the west of this pair look like 1940s or 50s council houses, while those further to the east look like 70s or 80s. So I'd say Hollybank Drive looks like it got developed very slowly over decades, not all done at the same time in the way modern housing developments are. Look on Google Earth and you'll see the older houses tend to have bigger gardens and some have mature trees to help date the developments.

The 50's style council houses look identical to those on the Stradbroke Estate. These were built late 40's / early 50's I believe. The Stradbroke houses were obviously built when building materials were very scarce. The first floor joists were of concrete with rebates on the top surfaces to accomodate rows of very short floorboards running between joists.

HD

A friend of mine lives in one of these houses which are owned by the council,

That's odd then. One of them was certainly for sale. We wouldn't have been looking if it was for rent.

Maybe the council bought them later on, or perhaps the other way round. Ie. The occupier had bought from the council under the "Right to buy" scheme.

That's odd then tozzin. :huh: Ask him about next door then if you see him.

I've seen my friend today and she has confirmed it is a council property but the one next door is private. When my friend moved in she asked about buying it, she was quoted £82,000 but with the discount it was £62,000 but they decided not to buy.

I've seen my friend today and she has confirmed it is a council property but the one next door is private. When my friend moved in she asked about buying it, she was quoted £82,000 but with the discount it was £62,000 but they decided not to buy.

That's good then - I'm not going as doolally as I thought I might be. :)

It looks as though it is where the stream "spreads out" into, possibly, marsh land, as opposed to either continuing as a stream or forming a pond.

The first 2 1940s type houses on left going down holybank drive were originally police houses and after the 5 blocks of semis the rest of the road had prefabs on down to the bottom wnere they joined up with more 1940s type semis.When the prefabs were demolished Norths builders built the rest of the estate over about a 3 year period.the first batch was 6 detached and 4 blocks of semis on left hand side,i moved in to one of these new houses in july 1976. 

Hi - I was born in one of the prefabs on Hollybank Way in 1952 - we have a photo somewhere of the houses mentioned. I remember my mum saying that a lady called Mrs Howell lived in one of them.