Brick Row, Hillsborough Or Indeed Owlerton Help Please !

RichardB

This seems to wander from what I would consider Holme Lane to hiding under Pizza Hut near the Sportsmans Group Pub of old. Any solid ideas please ?

"On the left bank of the river was a row of
houses called Brick Row. Down the back and
front of these houses the flood poured. They
were submerged to the top of the bedroom
ceilings and the mud on them showed that the
water had risen to eighteen feet above the
roadway. The first house was partially
destroyed. A portion of both ends and the
sidewall was swept away leaving the interior
exposed. In one of these houses it was noticed
that the clock had stopped at 27 minutes past
12; so the flood had been rather more than half
an hour travelling from the reservoir to this
point’"

Source

According to this description from Mick Armitage's site ----

BRICK ROW - HILLSBOROUGH
(Holme Lane)

Holme Lane runs parallel to- and directly at the far side of this building; Hillsborough being to the left. The right-hand end of the building is close to what is today the Haddon Street junction with Holme Lane; and the left-hand end covers the site of the current Tramway Medical Centre (which, in turn, was built on the site of the old 'Tramway Sheds').

It should have been about here --

Thanks Vox

I'd read the above information, SFCA seem to have some of the claims mapped way down Bradfield Road, or even pretty much at Hillsborough Corner. I suppose it could be an error on their part, on my part (the more likely event). Anyways up we have a good location, multiple pictures and depth information.

What I need is a dirty great big arrow pointing to Malin Bridge, or pointing to the Hillsborough Inn, pointing to anything really. If that's where the trams were, I can't work out what that bridge is - all seems strange to me.

If thats the bridge near the Freemasons, the houses are on the opposite side of the road to the tram sheds, aren't they ? Or, having lost the plot completely, is that the back ! Ha, may have sorted it !!!

What I need is a dirty great big arrow pointing to Malin Bridge,

Camera angle ?

IF this is indeed where Brick Row was, then what you can see should be Hill Bridge. Hillsborough Bridge would be out of shot.

Crop from Oldmaps.co.uk

Looking at the series of photo's on Picture Sheffield, and the use of 'Brick Row' as a location description, I don't think any one building was 'Brick Row'.

I think all the buildings on the left hand side of Holme Lane (probably with the exception of the Hillsborough Inn) were 'on' Brick Row.

But, if I had to pick one, my money would be the one circled!

Steve

Thank you very much. I like that a great deal,

Do you have a link to the website please, I need an extended look around on the 1863 maps..

Looking at the series of photo's on Picture Sheffield, and the use of 'Brick Row' as a location description, I don't think any one building was 'Brick Row'.

I think all the buildings on the left hand side of Holme Lane (probably with the exception of the Hillsborough Inn) were 'on' Brick Row.

But, if I had to pick one, my money would be the one circled!

Steve

Feeling foolish now, I've got as many miles on the clock with picturesheffield as anyone but never seen that option !

Now, I feel a task coming on for my tame map-person ...

I'm getting more than a little bit obsessed with this now!!!!!

Edmund at this location: http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/243-the-sheffield-flood/page-2

quotes from the Sheffield Independent:

Hillsborough, row of brick houses next to George Bisby’s pub, 1 st house occupied by Dyson family, last house by the Atkinsons – 16 to 18 foot above the roadway

and

1862 George Bisby (1864 Flood)

Malin Bridge / The Cleakum Inn
194 Holme Lane

However from http://www.mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/sheffield/book/w-page12.html we have:

The first house in Brick Row, Hillsbro', was occupied by Joseph Dyson

AND

In another house near Brick Row, two children named Atkinson were carried out of the window along with the bed on which they were lying, and were both drowned. James Atkinson, his wife, and three children, were drowned, as were also William Atkinson and his family

Is it possible that by 1864 George Bisby had moved to the Hillsborough Inn? and that Brick Row is 'the row of houses next to George Bisby's pub', i.e Brick Row is next to the Hillsborough Inn?

Another, although less likely scenario, is that Brick Row is at Malin Bridge, and not Hillsborough. For Brick Row to be at Malin Bridge the Independent and several other credible sources would have to have been wrong with their descriptions.

Another, even less likely possibility?, is that it is mere coincidence that families called Dyson and Atkinson were involved at BOTH Malin Bridge AND Hillsborough.

I might be clutching at straws in a desperate attempt to prove my red circle is correct!!! Any thoughts?

Steve.

I used to deliver papers to Brick Row which was still in existance until the late sixties. It is marked on the OS as Court 1.

It comprised of a row of back to back terraced houses and was located immediately to the east of the tramsheds and on the same side.

It was located right where Hillsborough Place was extended in about 1971 right through to Holme Lane.

There was a central gennel through to the back houses and the back end houses had offshot extensions.

By 1970 I was living in Hillsborough Place and remember the council coming at 7 am one morning to demolish the wall that marked the then end of Hillsborough Place and they then extended the road through. This was despite assurances to the residents that they weren't going to extend the road. That was the end of my parking right outside the house.

To the immediate east of the back to backs were a few two story cottages and the refusal of an old lady to move delayed the knocking down of the both rows for some time.

The houses still looked just as they did in the 1864 print except the west end had been rebuilt.

HD

I might be clutching at straws in a desperate attempt to prove my red circle is correct!!! Any thoughts?

Steve.

George Bisby , his wife and 5 children of Malin Bridge were listed as missing on 19th March 1864.

The Malin Bridge Inn / Cleakum Inn destruction never appears in the same picture as the Brick Row destruction.

The Ancestry census records are mis-indexed and the occupants of Brick row are "invisble" - but they do seem to be visible via FindmyPast but unfortunately I'm not subscribing with them - maybe someone with access can track who was where? From the Flood Claims database, here is a list of occupants of Brick Row (they do match the names in documented stories)

Claim for bodily injury #193

Claimant: James Dyson at Mr Shaw's, Owlerton, Wire Drawers

Injured person: The said James Dyson

Claimed: £50

Award: Assessed by Consent at £20

Granted: 30 May 1865

Claim for loss of property #630

Claimant: James Dyson Wire Drawer [at Wadsworth’s Mill Owlerton]

of: At Mary Shaws, Owlerton, late of Brickrow Hillsbro near Sheffield

Claimed: £24 3s 3d

Award: Assessed by Consent at £4 10s

Granted: 30 May 1865

631 (amnd) Samuel Higginbotham Wire Drawer At William Dearman's, Owlerton Road, near New Barracks, late of Brick Row £2

1053 Ralph Cooper Table Blade Grinder Greaves Street, late of Brick Row Hillsborough, near Sheffield £7

1057 James Smith Comb Maker Brick Row, Hillsborough, near Owlerton £5

2793 Henry Burgin Shoe Blade Grinder Brick Row, Owlerton £13

3063 Thomas Wadsworth Paper Maker Brick Row, Hillsborough

3087 Thomas Townrow Corn Miller Next 69 Addy Street, late of Brick row, Hillsborough £10

3109 William Booth File Grinder Hampden View, Sheffield, Late of Brick Row, Owlerton £6 4s 6d

3547 Elizabeth Bocking Widow Freedom Street, Hampden View, Sheffield; late Brick Row, Hillsbro' £7

3560 George Redfearn Pocket Blade Grinder Brick Row, Owlerton £3 14s

3595 Thomas Redfearn Carter Brick Row, Owlerton £10

3784 Anna Kirk Widow Brick Row, Hillsbro' £5

3978 Elizabeth Bretnall Widow Brick Row, Hillsbro'; late of Bowers Houses, Owlerton near Sheffield £8

4411 Joseph Hyde Dyer 8 Wicker Lane, Sheffield, late of Brick Row Hillsbro' £3 10s

4417 Matthew Nilson File Cutter Brick Row, Owlerton £8

5151 George Burrell; Jeremiah Buckle [George Burrell] Boot Maker; [Jeremiah B... [George Burrell] Change Alley; [Jeremiah Buckley] Brick Row, Owlerton £9 6s

5823 Mary Ann Rhodes Dress Maker Greaves Street, Hampden View, Sheffield, opposite "Burgoin Arms" late of Brick Row, Hillsbro' £6 12s

5890 Henry Guite File Grinder Greaves Street, Hampden View, Late of Brick Row, Hillsbro' £2

5898 John Redfern Labourer Brick Row, Owlerton £7

6417 Hannah Birks Widow Brick Row, Hillsbro'; late 14 Ebenezer Square, Sheffield £5

Camera angle ?

IF this is indeed where Brick Row was, then what you can see should be Hill Bridge. Hillsborough Bridge would be out of shot.

attachicon.gifBrick Row & bridges- poss position.jpg

Crop from Oldmaps.co.uk

Hill Bridge was completely removed by the flood, what you can see is Hillsborough Bridge.

Picture Sheffield v00980 shows the Brick Row on the far right just before the tramshed turn in.

It also shows the nearer smaller cottages (2 story) I mentioned earlier.

HD

By Email from Ron Clayton

"Interesting stuff. I recollect the 3 storey brick building and cottages that Hilldweller refers to and which is shown in the photograph.There is a painting by former local Eric Lesley of part of the building in the Tramways Medical Centre on Holme Lane itself."

Regards

Ron

I can't remember where I saw it but I do remember a reference to the Brick Row being originally built with insufficiently thick walls. I'm sure I read somewhere that when the flood damage was rectified the entire building had an extra layer of bricks added. If the painting is correct only the end wall appears to be more than one brick thick.

HD

Except Hill Bridge was completely swept away in the flood, so it must be Hillsborough Bridge you can see.

I've already been put right by Hilldweller - post 17 :)