Wig & Pen Date

saw119

George Nichols, Tailor and draper, 16 Paradise Square (White's 1852); only one I found ... anyone else got one to throw in ?

Didn't I hear somewhere that there was a Tailor in Paradise Square? The low building on the left of the Wig & Penn complex looks exactly like a cutting room for a Tailor's. Could it also have been the back end of a Tailors in Paradise Square?

There's a tailor in the 1829 Trade directory as posted by ukulele lady earlier in the thread. His premises were 60 Campo Lane and his name was William Ward.

In Pigot's 1828-29 there are 3 Tailors on Campo Lane (no's. 35,61 & 60)

In White's 1833 this is reduced to two Tailors but they are two of the three Tailors from Pigot's 1828-29 but this time their no's. are 41 & 57.

Pigot's 1841 has three tailors but no number for two of them. The other is no. 61.(one of the previously named tailors above but two new ones)

White's 1849 lists 5 Tailors at numbers 8, 38, 44, 48 and unknown.

White's 1852 once again has three Tailors but none of them are the previously mentioned Tailors. (No's. 30, 48 & 77).

I can't make sense of that!

to Saw 119.

The Golden Ball is listed as number 49 Campo Lane in 1829 Pigots but also listed in 1854 as number 85 Campo Lane/6-10 Townhead Street.

Then again in 1871 listed as 69 Campo Lane .

No wonder we are all scratching our heads on this one, not forgetting the Golden Ball was rebuilt and re-sited at some time or other.

I didn't know that about the Golden Ball, that might explain it moving around. It's interesting that some of those Wig & Pen buildings have been knocked through into what was the Old Cock although I currently have little idea when that was done. The more I go and look at those buildings the more I think I haven't seen anything like them before and I can't think of any others like them in Sheffield.

I love these buildings too, they fascinate me. I'd love a guided tour around them, I think some of the people

who work in these type of buildings done really know the history of them.

The building on the corner right of Wig & Pen has an old feel to it.

What's the oldest map we have of Campo Lane? Could the present estate agents have been the grocers talked about? There seems to have been a lot of remodelling in the area in the 1840s and I think buildings on the left of the Wig and Pen probably are that era or even more modern.

I remember reading that Campo lane was very narrow. Certainly was behind Cathedral so imagine a lot of demolition going on in order to widen it. I think the lanes round about were probably more like Fig Tree Lane or narrower.

The last photo seems to only show the low building and, perhaps, the building furthest away from Paradise Square. The larger building behind the Cock Inn I can't see at all.

Quite possibly because it is more modern than that or had an extra floor put on. Building on Left looks like late Victorian or Edwardian in style. Does anyone have date for that.

If I'm remembering correctly the building in your photo dates from the 1930's. Had another look down there today and the smaller of the two flat roofed buildings has a low pitched roofed building projecting at a right angle connecting I with the back of Paradise Square. It looks very much like the low building that fronts onto Campo Lane. Those flat roofed buildings are such funny little buildings to build to face onto the street front.

The photos do show the "rakish angle" I was wobbling on about; almost following a different alignment to the rest of the Lane.

Not sure if these aerial photos from 1937 will help?

Going back to the numbering of the Golden Ball, The Pigot's 1829 directory names

two Golden Balls of that year on Campo Lane.

1829 Town Head Street landlord Hanna Marshall

1829 49 Campo Lane landlord Antipas Stevens

From Picture Sheffield dated 1851 - 1899
http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.=zoom&id=95111

From Picture Sheffield, dated 1960 -1979
http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14082&pos=1&action=zoom&id=16906

From Picture Sheffield dated 1972
http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w01862&pos=1&action=zoom&id=47077

The two flat roof buildings look to have been added, chimneys removed from single storey building, and building at side of Wig and Pen roofline altered, sometime in the late 60's?

Steve

Really like those photos Steve, don't know why I haven't come across them before. One thing I did notice last time I was down there was the smaller of the two flat roofed buildings has a low pitched roofed building at right angle from it and connecting it to the back of the Paradise Square houses. It does seem like some alterations have taken place.

......................"The lay-out of the hillside in 1736, according to Gosling's plan, was roughly as follows.

Starting from West Bar a narrow lane called Workhouse Lane (now Paradise Street) ran half way up the hill. On the east of it was a large orchard belonging to Andrew Wade, and on the west a field called Workhouse Croft belonging to the Town Trustees.

Above Wade's orchard and up to Campo Lane was a field known as the Near Jeoffrey Croft, which stretched back as far as Fig Tree Lane, and to the west of it another field, called the Far Jeoffrey Croft, or alternatively Hickstile Field."........................

........................Both the Jeoffrey Crofts belonged to the Trustees of the Shrewsbury Hospital. All along the northern side of Campo Lane there ran a row of tenements, probably of a very mean order..........................

...............................In 1771 Thomas Broadbent took it into his head to develop Hickstile Field, and evidently approached the Trustees of the Shrewsbury Hospital on the matter.

It all seems to have been curiously casual; somebody apparently told him that he could carry on with the work and that it would be all right, and so, either in person or through sub-tenants he proceeded to erect the other three sides of Paradise Square. Fairbanks map published in 1771, shows the square complete but it is put in with dotted lines, showing that it was projected only..............................

So to recap, it seems that Far Jeoffrey Croft/Hickstile Field ran up the hill to Campo Lane, either to the back of the row of tenements, or the tenements were further up Campo Lane. Then Paradise Square was built in 1771 (on Far Jeoffrey Croft/Hickstile Field). It is unlikely that the original low Wig and Pen building was part of the tenements, so I would say that at the earliest the Wig and Pen possibly dates from 1771, IF indeed it is part of paradise Square, or at least built at the same time.

Steve.

Found this here, in relation to The Shrewsbury Hospital estate:http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=199-sy645t&cid=-1#-1

Atlas Assurance Co. Ltd SY/645/T3/6 1908

Contents:

No. 14, Paradise Square, Sheffield, occupied by William Bradbury, glass and china dealer, as dwellinghouse, saleshop and stockrooms;
No. 16, Paradise Square occupied by the Arundel Printing Co. as office and stock and workrooms containing specified machinery;
Nos. 18 and 20 Paradise Square partly occupied by Charles Credland Ltd. as store for specified materials, and partly occupied by Sheffield Middle Class Schools with master's dwellinghouse;
No. 22 Paradise Square occupied as dwellinghouse and Hebrew School; buildings occupied by Credland as stables, harness room, fodder store, open cart shed; building occupied by Credland as store for empty casks and bottles and for cask painting; shed occupied by Credland as cart shed, empty can store and containing large brick set pot;
dwellinghouse situated at no. 24 Paradise Square;
No. 26 Paradise Square and no. 30 Silver Street Head occupied by W. H. Hattersley as office and wholesale warehouse for china, glass and earthenware, tin and ironware, brushes, toys and smallwares, and by Michael Lapatrick as dwellinghouse;
buildings situated at opposite corner of Paradise Square/Silver Street Head to last, in course of erection or alteration to be occupied by "House of Help for Friendless Girls";
No. 15 Paradise Square, dwellinghouse;
No. 13 Paradise Square occupied by Walter Eagers, certified bailiff, as office and dwellinghouse;
No. 11 Paradise Square occupied as dwellinghouse and police institute;
Nos. 7 and 9 Paradise Square, occupied by Dr. Harrison as dwellinghouse and surgery;
No. 5 Paradise Square, occupied by Brooke Brothers for letterpress printing, and by others as offices;
No. 3 Paradise Square, occupied by James Hill, razor manufacturer, as warehouse and workrooms and containing a brick built smith's hearth;
No. 1 Paradise Square occupied as a House of Help for Friendless Girls;
No. 44 Campo Lane, occupied as domestic washhouse and by Catholic Association as coal distributing depot;
No. 46 Campo Lane, partly occupied for domestic purposes and remainder by Househam and Co. for letterpress printing.
11th February 1908

Of course it doesn't prove anything, but I find it quite compelling evidence for a building date, that for insurance purposes, the Shrewsbury Hospital estate have 44-46 Campo Lane listed alongside the properties in Paradise Square.

Steve.

It's starting to look fairly unequivocal that those small flat roofed buildings were actually built as late as the 1960's/70's (for the new Wig & Pen Restaurant?) but the low pitched roofed building seems to date from at least the mid 19th century but has been altered as the door appears to have been moved from the centre of the building to the end.

Close by :

Tuesday 26th September 1882 The Sheffield Daily Telegraph (page 4)
This Day
To Capitalists, Sportsmen, Brewers, and Others.
Valuable Leasehold Estate in Derbyshire, and Freehold Beerhouse, and Freehold and Leasehold Property, in Campo lane, Sheffield

LOT 2. - The Beerhouse known by the name of "The Rubens Head," situate in Campo lane, Sheffield, and the Three Saleshops, being Nos. 37, 39, 1nd 41, in that lane, and the Auction Room adjoining, together with the Carpenter's Shop and Outbuildings at the back. The Site of the Beerhouse, Saleshops, and Auction Room is of Freehold tenure, and contains, by recent admeasurement, 390 square yards or thereabouts. The Site of the Carpenter's Shop and Outbuildings is Leasehold, and is held for the residue of a term of 99 years from the 29th September, 1786, at the yearly ground rent of £2 6s 6d. This Lot produces a rental of £91 10s per annum.

Source

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s03523&pos=33&action=zoom&id=7088

This photo of bomb damage explains the strange 'new' roof of the building next to the Wig and Pen. The angle of the photo tantalisingly doesn't quite show the Wig and Pen, but maybe it suffered some collateral damage?

Steve