Wig & Pen Date

saw119

From when does 44-46 Campo Lane (Wig and Pen) date from as a building? I'm embarrassed to ask as I can usually find these things out. I've been putting my money on an 18th century date for it.

COCKER, William (Qualifying property, House and shop, 44 Campo Lane).
Residing at Campo Lane, Sheffield in 1864-65.
Recorded in: Sheffield Burgess Rolls.

Sheffield Indexers

Good question ! Street numbering is of no use. Bet the answer lies with Leader or maybe Twiss and Everard.

If I read it correctly, they start from Paradise Square and turn left down Campo Lane. Missing the part in question by a couple of buildings.

Henry Barker, Tailor & draper 44 Campo Lane (White's 1849)

For the "accommodation of an INCREASING BUSINESS" Henry removed to No 13, Door above the Post Office, Angel Street - in February 1850

The Law Times 1st November 1845 was reporting the activities of SHAM LAWYERS who demanded money without justification. One of these was reported as being William Kenyon of Thomas Guest and Co, operating from 44 Campo lane.

If I read it correctly, they start from Paradise Square and turn right down Campo Lane. Missing the part in question by a couple of buildings.

On page 26 Leader's gang recall Campo Lane from St James' Row to Townhead street (taking in the Wig and Pen location):

LEIGHTON: When last we met we mentally repeopled Campo lane with its old inhabitants, from the top of Paradise square to the bottom of the Hartshead and Watson’s walk. Suppose we now go in the opposite direction, taking the Lane from Virgin’s row to the Townhead.

WRAGG: Yes, that part is full of interest, though you moderns, Mr. Leonard, will scarcely credit it.

LEONARD: Well, it is difficult to find much romance there now, amid its dingy second·hand clothes shops and its squalid tenements. The only thing of interest about it I remember is a ghost story connected with the dreadful row of shops we come to first, going from St. James’s row, on the left, that look as if they had started life with great pretensions- but the force of adverse circumstances has brought them to a worse plight than that of their older neighbours. The latter, if poor, have an air of decent poverty about them ; but these have nothing but a seedy look of decayed snobbishness.

If I read it correctly, they start from Paradise Square and turn left down Campo Lane. Missing the part in question by a couple of buildings.

On page 26 Leader's gang recall Campo Lane from St James' Row to Townhead street (taking in the Wig and Pen location):

LEIGHTON: When last we met we mentally repeopled Campo lane with its old inhabitants, from the top of Paradise square to the bottom of the Hartshead and Watson’s walk. Suppose we now go in the opposite direction, taking the Lane from Virgin’s row to the Townhead.

WRAGG: Yes, that part is full of interest, though you moderns, Mr. Leonard, will scarcely credit it.

LEONARD: Well, it is difficult to find much romance there now, amid its dingy second·hand clothes shops and its squalid tenements. The only thing of interest about it I remember is a ghost story connected with the dreadful row of shops we come to first, going from St. James’s row, on the left, that look as if they had started life with great pretensions- but the force of adverse circumstances has brought them to a worse plight than that of their older neighbours. The latter, if poor, have an air of decent poverty about them ; but these have nothing but a seedy look of decayed snobbishness.

Stupidly I had written "Right" instead of "Left". now Edited :wacko:

Interesting stuff but I suppose we're not really much further on with a date of construction. I too was concerned with renumbering so wasn't sure wither references to no. 44 in trade directories was the correct 44. To my eyes it appears a little earlier than the earliest date of 1844 we have so far.

Here's a few from the Pigot's 1829 Trades Directory

6 Campo Lane William Henry Clayton, -Furniture Brokers

10 Campo Lane Edith Parkin .- Milliner

13 Campo Lane Thomas Clixby. - Cooper

15 Campo Lane. Slack Alice :o sorry Alice Slack - Horn, Haft ,Scale Presser

28 Campo Lane Hagger & Linley. - Brush manufacturer

And again 28 Campo Lane . Hagger & Linley - Rectifiers and Wine & Spirit Manufacturers

34 Campo Lane. Samuel James. - Boot & Shoe manufacturer

35 Campo Lane George Barnes. - Table Knife & Pocket Knife manufacturer

44 Campo Lane . Michael Hartshorn. - Cabinet Maker

48 Campo Lane . Mary Copley. - Hairdresser

49 Campo Lane Golden Ball

50 Campo Lane Dyson & Johnson - Watch & Clock makers

51 Campo Lane John Sawyer . - Linen Drapers.

53 Campo Lane John Pitt. - Plumber & Glazer

Another 53 Campo Lane. Elizabeth Hampson. Straw Hat manufacturer

54 Campo Lane Joseph Hague. - Patten & Clog makers

55 Campo Lane George Rogers. - Accountant

57 Campo Lane & 1 York Street. Must be on the corner which will give an idea of the numbering in 1829 Brice Garnett - Hairdressers

58 Campo Lane Ann Greaves - Milliner

Another 58 Campo Lane William Woodhead. - Cabinet Maker

59 Campo Lane Ann Elizabeth Brookes. - Sign Painters

60 Campo Lane Michael Hartshorn [ Also at 44 Campo Lane ] Cabinet maker

Another 60 Campo Lane. William Ward. - Tailor

Also 60 Campo Lane William Chapman. - Engravers 7 Copper Plate Printers

I can only think that those with the same numbers must be working on a different floor , perhaps upstairs or downstairs.

"Mr. Woolhouse was right in taking it for granted that everybody knew "that grocer's shop" at the corner of Paradise Street and Campo Lane; for there Thomas Newton and his successors did a large trade on small premises by supplying cutlers with emery, crocus and glue. Many of us remember it."

Thomas Newton, Grocer, Campo Lane (Gales & Martin 1787)
Joseph Lee, Grocer, 47 Campo Lane (Baine's 1822)
Samuel Marshall, Shopkeepers & Dealers in Groceries & Sundries, 33 Campo Lane (Pigot's 1828-9)
David Crossland, Grocer and flour dealer 46 Campo Lane (White's 1833)
David Crossland, Grocer & tea dealer 15 Campo Lane (Pigot's 1841)
David Crossland, Grocer & corn, emery &c. dealer, 15 Campo Lane (White's 1849)
David Crossland, Grocer And Corn Emery Dealer (&c), 13 Campo Lane (White's 1852)

From which I conclude .... nowt.

According to one source I have seen Wig and Pen was once called Old Cock. However Old Cock is listed as in Paradise Square and as a 1797 pub.

Old Cock, Paradise Square still floating around in 1852. Was in earlier times (1833) also described as an eating house.

Low numbers 6, 11 shown for Old Cock, Paradise Square put it "back to back" with Wig and Pen, possibly the rear of the premises.

Doesn't Wig and Pen sit at a rakish angle to Campo Lane itself - just to remind me on.

According to one source I have seen Wig and Pen was once called Old Cock. However Old Cock is listed as in Paradise Square and as a 1797 pub.

A few years ago just before the Wig and Pen changed hands to the present proprietor I had a meal there

and we were seated upstairs near a window over looking Paradise Square.

It was in the evening and with the street lighting it was a wonderful view, shame I never took a picture.

My thought is that looking at the Wig and pen is that the whole of what is there on Campo lane is quite possible an extension to a building in Paradise Square. What numbering is the building in Paradise Square directly behind them?

Interesting idea. I'm off down there in a little while so ill check. Those buildings on Campo Lane definitely look like shops to me with those early 19th century style bay windows but as you say they also look like they are attached to the rear of the Paradise Square buildings.

I'm getting confused by the numbering here and my conclusion is it must have changed considerably. Ukulele Lady has the P.H. Golden Ball as no. 49 Campo lane. However, Picture Sheffield shows the Golden Ball as being on the corner of Campo Lane/Townhead Street (St James st?). In another picture of the rear of the Golden Ball from St James churchyard the number of the P.H. seems to be given as 10. (Although its quite ambiguous as it reads "St James Churchyard and rear Golden Ball P.H. Campo Lane No 10 Townhead Street"). Surely what we have been calling no's 44-46 (Wig & Pen) cant be that if Golden Ball is no 49 but on the corner of Campo Lane/Townhead Street.

I hope this helps - the 1853 map superimposed on the 1953 map, plus each separately for clarity. I would suggest that number 46 did not exist in 1853 and that number 44 may have been an extension to the rear of the Old Cock?

That sounds very feasible to me Edmund.

They did play around with the numbers in the early days until they got it sorted after all most early property wasn't

numbered . With such a small population places where known by the persons name who were living there, cutler John etc.

Didn't I read somewhere that when they first started numbering it went . . 1 2 3 rather than odds and evens?

Didn't I hear somewhere that there was a Tailor in Paradise Square? The low building on the left of the Wig & Penn complex looks exactly like a cutting room for a Tailor's. Could it also have been the back end of a Tailors in Paradise Square?