Hastin & Son (?) Cavendish St.

Opposite Christ Church, Pitsmoor.

Hastin&Son.jpg

3 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

Hastin & Son (?) Cavendish St.

Opposite Christ Church, Pitsmoor.

1925 directory.

1925.jpg

An oval shaped Post Office telephones cover on Ecclesall Road South. Don't think I've seen another one.

oval shape P.O cover.jpg

H C Atkinson, Shude Hill. Never seen one of these before. On Hunter House Road, near Hunter's Bar.

Shude Hill cover.jpeg

3 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

H C Atkinson, Shude Hill. Never seen one of these before. On Hunter House Road, near Hunter's Bar.

Shude Hill cover.jpeg

Not sure, nearest found: H G Atkinson, shown as a cement merchant at Shude Hill. shown in 1905, 1911, and 1925 directores ...

atkin 1925.jpg

8 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Not sure, nearest found: H G Atkinson, shown as a cement merchant at Shude Hill. shown in 1905, 1911, and 1925 directores ...

Was on Sheaf Street in 1889, advert.

Came across this yesterday on Manchester Road, close to Sale Hill.

G.P.O._joint_cover_Manchester_Road.png

On 19/03/2014 at 19:50, SteveHB said:

Could the arrow be there to show the direction of flow to the main drain, or direction of flow in the main drain?

I don't think this drain grate on the canal at Victoria Quays is that old, but I presume 'Traffic' and the 'Arrow' are referring to the directional flow of water ....

post-188-0-11182300-1395258321.jpg

post-188-0-71001000-1395258319_thumb.jpg

I've been right through this 'Drainspotting' thread and no one (I think) has mentioned the difference between drain covers that are 'lift out' and those that are hinged. This example is hinged at the bottom edge (of the photo that is), so the 'traffic' arrow is there to show the installer that the grate should be oriented so that wheeled traffic tends to push it down closed. If it was the other way round wheeled traffic could tend to lift the cover—or maybe vandals might lift them and leave them up—which would do a hell of a lot of damage to anything that hit them.

There has been quite a display of both hinged covers and 'lift out' covers on this thread but they are clearly different if you know what to look for. The older hinged covers tend to have a rounded or chamfered edge on the pivoted side, so that the lid can clear the surround as it swings up. As well as being more difficult to steal, the hinged covers save a lot of effort—cast iron drain covers are bloody heavy!   

The cover above posted by Steve is of a modern Stanton heavy duty drain cover (probably '70s or '80s). The pin that the lid pivots on can be seen through the gap at the bottom left. The gap on the right is too narrow to see the pin on the other side.

On 14/07/2014 at 12:28, Calvin72 said:

I have finally worked out how to use my new mobile and laptop!

Here are the three 1890 drain covers i refer to above.

post-20988-0-90485000-1405337144_thumb.jpeg

post-20988-0-71005900-1405337158_thumb.jpeg

post-20988-0-54314800-1405337246_thumb.jpg

Further to my last comment;

The middle of the three grates shown in Calvin's photos here, is hinged, The top and bottom ore 'lift-out'.

3 hours ago, John Russell said:

Further to my last comment;

The middle of the three grates shown in Calvin's photos here, is hinged, The top and bottom ore 'lift-out'.

And yet all date from the same time. Any thoughts on the reason?

Appreciate you reading the thread John, it's took me back a bit :)

4 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

And yet all date from the same time. Any thoughts on the reason?

Appreciate you reading the thread John, it's took me back a bit :)

The middle grate of the three you posted, Calvin, looks higher capacity (flows more water) than the other two. Could it be that by hinging it, the weight is reduced for anyone wanting to open it? Certainly the hinged version was the 'deluxe edition': a bit more complicated to manufacture and probably a higher price. Today nearly all the heavy duty 'gully grates' (correct name) are hinged and typically cost £50-£150 a piece, depending on strength.

They are usually graded by the weight they can carry. It's a lot more complicated today than it was in the C19th :-)

gully grate 2.jpg

grate loadings.JPG

The middle of the three 1890 examples only appears today dated from 1890 to 1892. I've often wondered why it was discontinued. There are a good few about, so they have lasted. However a different style was adopted after that by Sheffield Corporation.

These grates would have been mostly installed by builders and developers, not by the corporation itself, who would deal with main roads only.  In 1894 the corporation Highway Stock Account shows that they spent £1,722 18s 7d on "Grates, Frames and Manholes". Although the requirement for grates was specified by the corporation, I'm not sure how detailed the specification would have been, and manufacturers may have had a degree of flexibility as to hinged or lifting. Presumably the text on the grates was to both to deter theft and to reassure the private buyers that there was no risk of the design bringing a dispute with the corporation.

On 26/10/2017 at 08:15, Calvin72 said:

The middle of the three 1890 examples only appears today dated from 1890 to 1892. I've often wondered why it was discontinued. There are a good few about, so they have lasted. However a different style was adopted after that by Sheffield Corporation.

I think they didn't last because they would have been difficult to cast. The thinner iron parts would have been more difficult to get the iron to flow into in the sand mold. They probably discontinued them because of the number of unusable castings the foundry turned out just to get one good one. The thicker the bars the better from a casting point of view, which was also probably a conributing factor for the council going from the 12 slot to 10 slot design.

I have found a website that uses pictures of drain covers, walls and other things for model making purposes. I believe if you own the copyright on the pictures you could probably upload your pictures to the site and perhaps get paid for them!

If anyone wants to try or is into model making this is the link:

Textures for graphic design

Out and about delivering flyers today I got to see round the back of properties along Abbeydale Rd. Always interesting for me.

Henry White, Washington Rd.

Darwin & Co, Queen's Foundry.

Henry White.jpeg

Darwin Co.jpeg

• Like 1

Woodrow and Co, London.

Carr Bank Close, Fulwood.

Woodrow and Co.jpeg

E&HO Boundary (any ideas?), adjacent to 294 Handsworth Road.

E&HO Boundary.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 09/03/2019 at 07:46, Calvin72 said:

E&HO Boundary (any ideas?), adjacent to 294 Handsworth Road.

Just wondered is it lined up along the boundary of the property, if so could it mark where some service to the property becomes the responsibility of the property owner? 

Eckington boundary used to go to White Lane and Handsworth was up to Hurlfield Road. Maybe a link.