Drainspotting!

Calvin72

On 23/06/2020 at 20:36, SteveHB said:

Coupe Brothers, Carting contractors, builders merchants & brick manufacturers 19 Carlisle Street East (1919-1925)

Coupe Brothers (Sheffield), carting contractors, builders merchants & brick manufacturers, 19 Carlisle Street East.

Listed in the 1957 Kelly's directory.

5 minutes ago, Calvin72 said:

Further to my June 3rd post about the European Heritage Days awards I'm excited and delighted to be one of the overall 2020 winners!

Eleven storytellers from across the continent have won a funded Council of Europe heritage project. Mine is going to be the design of an app and website to help count and trace every single piece of historic pavement furniture in the city and to plot every such location. This will hopefully enable study of what we have, why they are important, and what they tell us. Building on the collective work of this thread I will be able to answer a few of the questions that have been raised! The work will run from September 30th till March 31st 2021 and I will mention this site in any publicity. I have been invited to address the European Parliament in November to introduce the topic and Sheffield heritage in general which I am looking forward to. Just to say many thanks again to contributors to this thread and I'm delighted that looking at Sheffield drain covers takes it's place in the favourite European heritage stories of the year :)

http://www.europeanheritagedays.com/Story/cfbd0/Drainspotting-%40%40%40-A-European-Story%2c-Made-in-Sheffield^^^

Pleased to hear that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

W Ainsley, Whitehouse Lane. Seen today on Walkley Lane.

The 'N' of Lane appears to be upside down? 

W Ainsley, Whitehouse Lane.jpeg

2 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

W Ainsley, Whitehouse Lane. Seen today on Walkley Lane.

The 'N' of Lane appears to be upside down? 

W Ainsley, Whitehouse Lane.jpeg

William Ainsley (& Wilson), builder and contractor, 157 Whitehouse Lane. 1901 directory.
William Ainsley, builder and contractor, 157 Whitehouse Lane, (Sheffield 6). 1905 and 1911 directories.

Don't think Henry Boot has made his way into this thread yet. A nice 'starfish' style non-slip cover too.

Henry Boot starfish non-slip.jpeg

• Like 2

On 22/08/2020 at 15:55, Calvin72 said:

Don't think Henry Boot has made his way into this thread yet. A nice 'starfish' style non-slip cover too.

Love it! - whereabouts please? I know Henry Boot built the Union Inn at Nether Edge, and the cottages on Edge Bank (Cherry Tree Hill) but then I suppose they also built bits all over the place... 

5 hours ago, Jim2000 said:

Love it! - whereabouts please? I know Henry Boot built the Union Inn at Nether Edge, and the cottages on Edge Bank (Cherry Tree Hill) but then I suppose they also built bits all over the place... 

Yes, a well known name but not a common feature. It's at the top of an alley near the beginning of Glossop Road/West Street. On the right looking towards town opposite the Somme Barracks.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2020 at 15:55, Calvin72 said:

Inspired by your diligent work, we may all be in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars...

(probably a Wilde misquote)

• Like 1

The Council of Europe funded 'Drainspotting' project that I won earlier this year has begun. We have six months to find and log as much as we can of Sheffield's historic pavement features. Our app enables people to photograph and GPS plot their finds and we will draw up the maps showing the locations of the important finds, how many are left, and what that tells us.

Anyone interested in being involved I'd love to hear from you!

streetheritageresearchgroup@gmail.com

https://sites.google.com/view/streetheritage/the-street-heritage-research-group

https://www.europeanheritagedays.com/story/cfbd0/Drainspotting-A-European-Story-Made-in-Sheffield

• Like 1

I've seen a small number of these rather nice objects but always made by Brightside Foundry. Not sure Yeardley of Sheffield has appeared on this thread yet. Edward Street, city centre.

Yeardley, Sheffield.jpg

48 minutes ago, Calvin72 said:

I've seen a small number of these rather nice objects but always made by Brightside Foundry. Not sure Yeardley of Sheffield has appeared on this thread yet. Edward Street, city centre.

Could be?

Darwin, Yeardley & Co. Ltd., iron founders, 98  108 Queen Street.

1925 directory

May be a "G" rather than a "C" or maybe not.... Charles Peachey builder was the son of Goy Peachey (a builder), from a family of builders, grandfather John Peachey and great grandfather Samuel Peachey.  The Peacheys were based around Hunters Bar - 68 Sharrow Lane in 1887, 149 Club Garden Road in 1898, 1 Steel Road in 1901 ,  45 Walton Road in 1902, Lynton Road in 1906, 117 Psalter Lane in 1909, Clifford Road in 1920, 35 Wayland Road in 1931.  It's not clear where the christian name "Goy" came from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

May be a "G" rather than a "C" or maybe not.... 

On closer inspection it is a 'G'  :)

Looks like George William Rusling of 206 Brook Hill in 1911.  In 1896 the Rusling Brothers plumbing business based at 32 Spital Hill had been dissolved and brother Charles Oakes Rusling set up on his own at 62 Spital Hill.  By the time of his death in 1935 George was at 44 Leavygreave Road, though he died at 1 Rutland Park.  In his spare time George was chapel steward at the Carver Street chapel and was one of the original members of the Sheffield Methodist Council.  George's wife Ann helped in the shop and son George was also a plumber, in fact when George junior died in 1978 he had been a "Director of Plumbing"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

Looks like George William Rusling of 206 Brook Hill in 1911.  In 1896 the Rusling Brothers plumbing business based at 32 Spital Hill had been dissolved and brother Charles Oakes Rusling set up on his own at 62 Spital Hill.  By the time of his death in 1935 George was at 44 Leavygreave Road, though he died at 1 Rutland Park.  In his spare time George was chapel steward at the Carver Street chapel and was one of the original members of the Sheffield Methodist Council.  George's wife Ann helped in the shop and son George was also a plumber, in fact when George junior died in 1978 he had been a "Director of Plumbing"

Great stuff! Narrowed it down to two places and still...

George William Rusling, plumber, 206 Brookhill, house 44 Leavygreave Road. 1925 directory.

G. W. Rusling & Co. Ltd. (G Rusling, R.P., M.I.P., director). plumbers, 175 Brook Hill 3. 1957 directory.

Trip to City Rd cemetery today unexpectedly turned up several 19th century drain covers with a previously undiscovered form of lettering. A mystery - not many new discoveries these days...

City Rd cemetery cover 1.jpeg

City Rd cemetery cover close up.jpeg

Remnants of Watery Lane.

Inspection chamber covers along the course of Watery Lane on what is now The Ponderosa which survive as markers of where the street was originally laid. I recorded them in the following order walking east to west and estimate them to be situated near the following positions in comparison with the old streets that also existed at the time.

1 = Watery Lane/Adelphi St/Fountain Square

2 = Watery Lane /Adelphi St

3 = Watery Lane

4 = Watery Lane near the junction with Hammond St.

Watery Lane originally existed as a track that ran from Port Mahon towards the terraced dams at Crookes on what is now the upper reaches of the Ponderosa towards Crookes Valley Road and was recorded on various maps prior to the extensive development of the area around the 1830’s. I suspect these covers were put in when Watery Lane was developed and the small stream that ran along the course of the lane was culverted.

N.B. Photo's taken Feb 2021.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 2