Calvin72

Drainspotting!

I think they changed it because haviong so many slots made them a bit weak. There are also two different versions of this 12 slot cover.

First there is this one, dated 1892.

There is also this one, with the word CORPORATION at the top instead of at the bottom.
So the history of drains in Sheffield goes something like this...
???? - Sheffield Local Board 8 slot

???? - Sheffield Corporation 8 slot

1892 - Sheffield Corporation 12 slot (Dates from examples found)
???? - Corporation at the top 12 slot
1893 -1912 - Sheffield Corporation 10 slot (Dates from examples found)
But it doesn't end there! Just the other day this turned up!

Cheers Andy - i only just noticed that the earliest dated example, 1892, is different to the next earliest, 1895, and that therefore the worn example with six slats is from the same period (pre 1895). Dates and provenance all helps the case for listing pavement and road surface features.

Another interesting day walking around today - this time in the Kelham Island and Shalesmoor area. I found an 1893 dated cover which confirms that the style changed between 1892 and 1893. What cracking condition this is in by the way!

On the same short backstreet is a dated 'earlier style' drain cover - it looks like 1894, but if it is then everything makes no sense at all :unsure:

In about 1895 there was a case - Sheffield Corporation versus Young", following which the Corporation had to allow the use of earthenware gullies, rather than restricting the material to cast iron, which was the material the Corporation used. I've not been able to find anything more than this, but the absence of any remaining earthenware gullies, perhaps shows that the Corporation were right?

Here's where you could buy Corporation pattern gullies:

In about 1895 there was a case - Sheffield Corporation versus Young", following which the Corporation had to allow the use of earthenware gullies, rather than restricting the material to cast iron, which was the material the Corporation used. I've not been able to find anything more than this, but the absence of any remaining earthenware gullies, perhaps shows that the Corporation were right?

Here's where you could buy Corporation pattern gullies:

attachicon.gifCast Iron Gullies 1893.png

That's a good find Edmund!

I wonder what they mean by gullies? I'd say it's an open drain on the ground that looks a bit like a piece of guttering, along which water flows. It could also be the funnel type thing under some of the grate covers we have found. Some just have a vertical brick shaft under them, but others definitely seem to have a cast iron funnel type thing directing the water down a narrower round pipe.

from the Medical Officer's report for 1898, discussing the lack of drainage in many properties:

"that the sink pipes discharge into more or less imperfect channels in the yards, and thence the slop water is conducted through the passage, across the pavement, and along what is often a more imperfect street channel, to the nearest street gulley. With arrangements such as these it has become a. common practice to throw the slop water on the surface of the street. In a large number of these streets the pavement is imperfect, often boulders set in ashes. The result is that the organic matter in the slop water is allowed to soak into the places between the stones, there to produce what is in my opinion, a good breeding ground for the organism of typhoid fever."

The Corporation had suffered from the refusal of loans from central government for street drainage. A £38,000 loan for highways use had been reduced by the amount of the drainage because the govenment believed that Sheffield's means of dealing with the collected effluent (ie Blackburn) was insufficient.

I saw these drain covers up around Brocco Bank, i.e. Newington Rd, Rossington Rd etc. The double one that was made in Bangor, I think they were actually based in Llandudno. Can you see the Government ARROW mark in the bottom right hand corner of the one dated 1899?

I saw these drain covers up around Brocco Bank, i.e. Newington Rd, Rossington Rd etc. The double one that was made in Bangor, I think they were actually based in Llandudno. Can you see the Government ARROW mark in the bottom right hand corner of the one dated 1899?

Thanks for these! Two new dates in 1922 and 1926 but i wonder if they are 'recycled' as the last two digits seem out of place? Certainly i have never seen any other dates after WW1. As for the arrow it also doesn't look 'real' and i have never seen another on a Sheffield Corporation drain. If i am right then more questions than answers arise from your pics and i will have to have a look in the area.

The arrow may be the mark made by the Ordnance Survey to show where a contour line passes?

I don't think the arrow is actually the government mark, common on wartime issued equipment. In this case I think it's just an imperfection in the casting or a mark that has been scratched into the casting accidentally somehow over the passage of time. As the covers are cast iron, it would be very difficult (maybe even impossible) to stamp a mark into them after manufacture as they would likely shatter. Also if it was made at the casting stage it would stand proud like the letters, not be recessed.

The different numerals in the second part of the dates shows how the lettering was detachable from the original patterns the green sand castings were made from. These letters and numbers, known as pattern makers letters, were available in different sizes and designs. Obviously be the twenties the foundry had run out of the original ones!

Also... Those Km examples look like some of the worst cast iron castings I've ever seen. Remind me not to use that foundry for anything!

I've spotted a lot of Blakes Foundry this week, I'm presuming that those drain covers aren't that old.

There are lots aren't there.

Here's one anyway, just for the record.

Bradley Street S10

And also on Bradley Street

Can't find any info on W Green and Co

Best guess is:

Green & Co., William (, ironfounders,kitchen range & stove-grate manuftrs).
Residing at Norfolk Foundry Ecclesfield & Sheffield, in 1905.
Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

I think that particular Blakes Foundry example probably dates from the 1930s. There are very similar ones in derbyshire marked DCC 193? which I guess is Derbyshire County Council and the date. It looks a bit art deco style too.

Best guess is:

Green & Co., William (, ironfounders,kitchen range & stove-grate manuftrs).

Residing at Norfolk Foundry Ecclesfield & Sheffield, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

Green William & Co. (Ecclesfield) Ltd. manufacturers of stove giates,

111 115 West Bar & Noifolk foundiy, Station Road, Ecclesfield.

Kelly's 1925.

We have wondered before about an earlier style that had 'Corporation' at the top but unfortunately every example we found was too worn to date.

Today i unexpectedly found a new design (Corporation of Sheffield) in great condition and 1890!

Has anyone seen any more of these, or indeed any older dates?

Two very small pavement features in Darnall - any ideas? what are they?

The square cover is a hinged stop-tap chamber cover. It bears the name of G. W. Dawes, a well known plumbing and heating company with it's origins dating from 1899 and originally located on Holme Lane, Hillsborough. There must be thousands of similar covers located on pavements adjacent to property boundaries. Many of them are marked SCWW (Sheffield Corporation Water Works), although that's not the version that a waterworks watchman told me when I was a little lad. His version was that it stood for Sheffield Chaps Wont Work or something similar. The little slot at the bottom is to insert a screwdriver to lever the rusted cover open.

The round cover bearing J. Parker & Sons, another well known builder's merchant is, I suspect, over a minor junction in a drain system. We had a similar one at the bottom of the entry leading to my childhood home. It was where the drains from the front roof fall pipes joined the main drain.

It's difficult to gauge the size from the photo but if it's bigger than about 6" diameter it might be a coal hole cover.

HD

PS When I first posted this I used the normal technical word to describe a stop valve and the site software automatically changed it to " wee wee tail"

I like it :rolleyes:

Edited by hilldweller

I'll go along with Hildweller on what the small features are. I think stop taps are a spot on explanation.

The 'CORPORATION OF SHEFFIELD' drain is interesting. Previously we've found one with 'CORPORATION' at the top with nothing at the bottom and wondered what it was. Now it looks like it was one of these with the 'OF SHEFFIELD' bit worn off.

So if you find a 12 slot 'CORPORATION OF SHEFFIELD' it's definitely sometime pre-1892. And if you find a 12 slot 'SHEFFIELD CORPORATION' it's definitely post-1890. we're just not sure which was in use during 1891.

Calvin, for your next challenge you need to find something dated 1891!

We're now getting so much information on this I'm starting to think we should write a small book or something.

There are indeed many, many small square 'SCWW' features on Sheffield pavements - however i have never seen one of the maker's name above! - it all adds up to the mystery of Sheffield's many road and pavement features.

Thanks for these! Two new dates in 1922 and 1926 but i wonder if they are 'recycled' as the last two digits seem out of place? Certainly i have never seen any other dates after WW1. As for the arrow it also doesn't look 'real' and i have never seen another on a Sheffield Corporation drain. If i am right then more questions than answers arise from your pics and i will have to have a look in the area.

The arrow may be the mark made by the Ordnance Survey to show where a contour line passes?

I don't think the arrow is actually the government mark, common on wartime issued equipment. In this case I think it's just an imperfection in the casting or a mark that has been scratched into the casting accidentally somehow over the passage of time. As the covers are cast iron, it would be very difficult (maybe even impossible) to stamp a mark into them after manufacture as they would likely shatter. Also if it was made at the casting stage it would stand proud like the letters, not be recessed.

The different numerals in the second part of the dates shows how the lettering was detachable from the original patterns the green sand castings were made from. These letters and numbers, known as pattern makers letters, were available in different sizes and designs. Obviously be the twenties the foundry had run out of the original ones!

Could the arrow be there to show the direction of flow to the main drain, or direction of flow in the main drain?

I don't think this drain grate on the canal at Victoria Quays is that old, but I presume 'Traffic' and the 'Arrow' are referring to the directional flow of water ....

Harveys Nonslip inspection cover.

There was one like this in the back yard of our old house on St. Mary's Road,

this one is at the corner of Charlotte Rd. & Shoreham Street.

Wilkinson Thomas & Sons, joiners & builders, Wilkinson's buildings, Guernsey road, Heeley. (White's 1901).

Wilkinson Thomas & Sons, joiners & builders, Woodbine works, Guernsey road, Heeley. (White's 1905, 1911).

Wilkinson Thomas & Sons, (Builders) Ltd builders &c (Olive Grove works) Midhill Road, Heeley. (Kelly's 1925, 1965).

Ow'er Calvins in't Star today. An't tha' seen it?

Lyn