Drainspotting!

Calvin72

4 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

WG Jenkinson.

Abbeydale Rd South, near Ecclesall woods.

Jenkinson William George R P C. plumber &c.  43 Eyre Street. (1925 directory).

Edit:  Jenkinson William Geo., plumber,  43 Eyre Street. (1901, 1905 & 1911 directories).

• Thanks 1

I have just discovered the Drainspotting booklet and have tried to find the drain cover made by Charles Ross somewhere near the bottom of the Botanical Gardens. Does anyone know it’s exact location, please?

Richard Brown

9 hours ago, pmbrhb said:

I have just discovered the Drainspotting booklet and have tried to find the drain cover made by Charles Ross somewhere near the bottom of the Botanical Gardens. Does anyone know it’s exact location, please?

Richard Brown

Hello there,

I now know there are two, one on the left hand side of Thompson Rd before the junction with Khartoum Rd, and one at the corner with Khartoum. They are often buried under leaves and dirt though... As a bonus there is another different Charles Ross cover near the Queen Victoria statue in Endcliffe Park :)

I wonder if you can help on this one.

I have found an item on Rustlings Road with the name H Lingard, presumably from an iron foundry. but I can find no information about him on the web. Photo attached.

Richard

H Lingard.JPG

2 hours ago, pmbrhb said:

I have found an item on Rustlings Road with the name H Lingard, presumably from an iron foundry. but I can find no information about him on the web. Photo attached.

Richard

H Lingard.JPG

I think that's new addition to this thread! The names on these inspection covers were usually that of the builder rather than a foundry. Never seen Lingard before, good stuff.

Henry Lingard was born in1860, the son of Joseph Lingard a bricklayer, who later became a builder - Joseph's work included houses on Albert Road, Heeley.

In 1891 Henry was a builder living at 136 Fitzwilliam street

In 1901 he was a builder, employer of bricklayers living at 33 Cemetery Avenue (off Ecclesall Road - General Cemetery gates) and in 1900 sold several pairs of houses he had built in Cemetery Avenue

1995792613_33CemeteryAvenue.png.7711da512ece8a8e88bb343163563dee.png

By 1911 Henry and his wife Rose had moved to number 42 Cemetery Avenue and were still there in 1921.

292545995_42CemeteryAvenue.png.477d7fb314026f953f4ff568b5e40272.png

Henry died on 27th October 1929 at 234 Psalter Lane and was buried at Ecclesall church. His will left £4,248.

1160608186_234PsalterLane.png.02902cfda71ee6c1271b8b584e78f863.png

• Like 2

I have been following Drainspotting and have been to Forge Dam this morning to try to find the Ecclesall Highways drain cover, allegedly a few yards from the cafe. Gong back from the cafe towards Whitely Woods Road there is a possible site just past the entrance to the path alongside Porter Brook where there is a deep depression, full of water after the recent rains! is his where the drain(s) is?

Incidentally in passing, I found an unexpected drain cover at the bottom  of Brookhouse Hill where it turns into Whitely Lane, with an Ecclesfield address. If you are interested i can send a photo.

Richard

On 24/02/2022 at 15:00, pmbrhb said:

Richard

H Lingard.JPG

I've recently found that all the houses along the side of Stainton Rd running behind Rustlings Rd have one of these! Looks like Mr.Lingard was pretty busy :)

On 24/02/2022 at 15:00, pmbrhb said:

Richard

H Lingard.JPG

Charles Lingard, Iron Founders, Port Mahon, probably Charles seniors Son. 67, Henry Street.

Happy 10th birthday to the 'Drainspotting' thread :)

Looking back I did think that speed was of the essence with the road re-surfacing programme beginning around then, however the vast majority of early finds are still in situ. Not all, but 80-90% I would say. Hopefully some increased awareness resulted and, if so, it's been worth it.

The earliest date found on drain covers (or pavement features of any kind) remains 1890.

New finds are rare these days, but do happen occasionally to my continued excitement!

Many thanks to all the contributors over the years :)

• Like 2

On 21/01/2014 at 20:15, Calvin72 said:

No idea what this is - never seen another one.

post-20988-0-67050100-1390335260_thumb.jpg

Spotted this one in pavement on Redmires Rd whilst on a walk down the Conduit. 
Near (what Google informs me is) house no. 544. 
image.thumb.jpeg.0677803f44b6043b6be514456d98999b.jpeg

• Like 1

On 24/02/2015 at 14:26, saw119 said:

Do you know about the Sheffield Local Board cover that is on Redmires Road just before Allen Sike Farm at the entrance to the footpath there? I only ask as it raises some serious questions in my mind about whether these features are in situ. I find it almost impossible to conclude an early date for these covers if one is positioned so far away from what we could legitimately claim was the Sheffield Local Board area and I certainly find it hard to believe that the Local Board would have been digging drains out on Redmires Road in the early Victorian period.

I’m not the first, just seen it was previously spotted!

And here is the exit from the nearby drain mentioned by hilldweller. It’s not immediately adjacent so I was not certain if they were connected.

image.thumb.jpeg.36194990ad88656f09c739cbcff97ff4.jpeg

And in case you don’t have one of these yet -  a Guest and Chrimes cover from Graves Park (in grass to east of north drive from main lodge on Derbyshire Lane, between the commemorative oak trees).  
image.thumb.jpeg.d6efa753eb53efec8300ba6823ac0a9b.jpeg

8 hours ago, Archaeo said:

Spotted this one in pavement on Redmires Rd whilst on a walk down the Conduit. 
Near (what Google informs me is) house no. 544. 
image.thumb.jpeg.0677803f44b6043b6be514456d98999b.jpeg

These are said to be 'lamp holes' for lighting the way in the sewers. They are certainly found along the main sewer lines. There are quite a few around, usually in clusters. The 'Sheffield Corporation' versions have only been found dated 1932-37.

8 hours ago, Archaeo said:

I’m not the first, just seen it was previously spotted!

And here is the exit from the nearby drain mentioned by hilldweller. It’s not immediately adjacent so I was not certain if they were connected.

image.thumb.jpeg.36194990ad88656f09c739cbcff97ff4.jpeg

Do you mean this one? It's a Sheffield Corporation 19th century cover. I'm not aware of a 'Local Board' on Redmires Rd...

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qSCk7D389Z41gRx6A

10 hours ago, Archaeo said:

That is the property I was referring to in relation to the Sheffield Corporation 1936 cover.  Saw119 previously spotted it and wondered whether it was reused. Here is it (link will work on a mobile): https://maps.app.goo.gl/jqpx7uMY1A4EQAVC7?g_st=i

And in case the link does not work: 

image.thumb.jpeg.b903c7ba7a66114f0ce28058521bedbf.jpeg

We've been at cross purposes here. Ignore earlier reply, it must have been too early this morning...

This is a Sheffield Local Board cover of the type that saw119 was asking about - very rare mid-19th century cholera installations;

Local Board Ranmoor Rd.jpeg