Drainspotting!

Calvin72

Feature located on Bradfield Road outside the electricity power station, so very close by to Holme Lane.

Not sure if Hodkin & Jones have appeared in this thread yet - if not it's an oversight as there are loads about.

Probably my strangest find ...  Near the bottom of New Street, City Centre (opposite the Law Courts).

'Leicester Corporation Water'  ...

Leicester Corporation Water Works 1878-1974, when Trent Water took over. I think this feature dates from the earlier part of that period.

Leicester Corporation Water Works 1878-1974, when Trent Water took over. I think this feature dates from the earlier part of that period.

​Probably cast in Sheffield for LCWW, and got accidently mixed in with ours.

John Robinson, Royds Foundry Ltd, Ecclesfield

Quite a few at Millhouses

​"John Robinson, Royds Foundry Ltd., Ecclesfield", are listed in the 1925 directory.

​"John Robinson, Royds Foundry Ltd., Ecclesfield", are listed in the 1925 directory.

​Royds Foundry, Attercliffe, 1879 directory.

Robinson John, clay, mortar and gannister mills and general ironfounders, Royd's Foundry, Royds Mill Street; house, Norwood Villas, 4 Osgathorpe Lane.

​That's a particularly well preserved example. I'm not sure that cover was originally in that frame though. The patterns look different on the two parts.

These covers come in two sizes and two slightly different patterns. Originally they had holes in to vent the drains below and so surface water could enter. They are usually in the middle of the road, although some have ended up on pavements with changes to street layouts.

This one is in the middle of the road.

Here's another two drain covers,  one which you can see the date plainly is on Backfields, the other older one is on Bethel Walk, as you can see it has twelve slots. There are words on it and it looks like Sheffield across the top and Corporation along the bottom, just cant make the date out its 18??

002.JPG

001.JPG

Generally speaking the '12 slot' design was replaced by the '10 slot' one. Indeed the 12 slot only lasted from 1890 to 1893 and the vast majority of them are dated 1892, including quite a few in the City Centre (including, almost certainly, tozzin's example). The years between 1890 and 1893 saw a few experiments in drain covers which I have mentioned before on here. It looks like there were competing foundries or designs for a short period until the Corporation settled on the 10 slot design which are numerous and dated from 1893 to 1929.

Lots to look into there calvin.

I only wish I could stay on here for more this site for long enough to look into them. I keep getting error messages every time i try to do something. Hopefully it will be ok soon.

Henry White, builder, late of 81 Washington Road, Sheffield, died 3rd May 1941

Thomas W Rose (joiner and painter) 182 Derbyshire Lane, Norton Woodseats (Whites 1905).  His wife Ann Eliza died in September 1908

1901 directory.

Sharp William Thomas, builder, 714 Abbeydale Road.

"Sharpe" spelt without an 'e' in the directory.

A fine example of a 'Sheffield Water Works Company' cover, found at the corner of London Road and Abbeydale Road. I know about fifteen or so of these left. The Sheffield Water
Works HQ is now a Lloyds No.1 bar next to the City Hall and we can date the feature to pre-1888 as the Company was absorbed by the Corporation on Jan 2nd that year.

s w w c.jpg

Charles Ross of Heeley appears on iron from Tramway covers to coal chutes, but this is the first drain cover I have seen (near Botanical Gardens / Ecclesall Road).

ross drain.jpg

This set of initials came up before and it appears to stand for Wortley Rural District Council.