Drainspotting!

Calvin72

How about - the floor plate for mounting a flat section bollard (fits into the long cutout with securing screw in the middle). Would make sense in terms of being in the middle of the jennel - cyclist deterrent.

There wouldn't be a bollard in the middle of the entrance to the old fiirm on Sidney St, it would hamper carts and such going in and out and I can't see a bollard being put in the middle of a " Jennel". Is there a bollard at the entrance of the walk? That's where it would work not halfway down. Quite a few cellars have cellar grates tethered from inside by means of a chain with a bar on the surface, maybe fitting where the slot is on these particular covers. As you say the cover is a distance from the properties.

I have taken a few pics around Abbeydale Road and I have seen this feature before but I didn't really think it was interesting until now - as has been said, it appears to be something new! There is always something interesting around :)

Do you know about the Sheffield Local Board cover that is on Redmires Road just before Allen Sike Farm at the entrance to the footpath there? I only ask as it raises some serious questions in my mind about whether these features are in situ. I find it almost impossible to conclude an early date for these covers if one is positioned so far away from what we could legitimately claim was the Sheffield Local Board area and I certainly find it hard to believe that the Local Board would have been digging drains out on Redmires Road in the early Victorian period.

Thanks for the pointer saw119 - I don't know the area or feature. You raise an interesting point about things being 'in situ'. Just about everything of interest found so far in the City has been somewhere it COULD have been originally placed. The several Local Board covers in Palm Street, Walkley, for example match closely the date of the Board and the construction of the street. What is needed is to find features that could NOT be originally sited (as in your suggestion), and then we would know that re-location has happened. The only place that I have seen dates that definitely pre-date the road is on Prince of Wales Road which has many 1900 and 1901 covers and drains. I would think they came from street demolition elsewhere in the area.

Was just going to post that myself southside. I really wish it was a little bigger though. It appears as though the sewer line finishes at Crosspool on this map which makes the drain cover on Redmires Road an issue.

From Wikipedia:

"Water provision for the growing city of Sheffield was taken over from the private sector by the Water Committee of Sheffield Corporation in 1830. The Rivelin Dams were part of a series of reservoirs subsequently built to the west of the city by the Committee with the Lower being completed in 1845 and the Upper in 1848."

Drainage from the area would go into the Allen Sike and potentially into the reservoirs. Possibly the grates were installed at the time the dams were constructed or soon after?

I think that is a very good suggestion Edmund and could well explain the presence of a Local Board cover out there. It would also provide a very good date for the Local Board covers.

I think that is a very good suggestion Edmund and could well explain the presence of a Local Board cover out there. It would also provide a very good date for the Local Board covers.

1845-1848 is bang in the period that the Local Board installations were taking place in other parts of the City. Excellent stuff !

Hi saw119

Here's a map of showing Allen Sike in 1855, and a man made (ie bang straight) drainage channel approaching the sike from the south.

Where were the grates in relation to that? Possibly placed to empty surface water from the road into the sike.

The Local Board cover is positioned at the entrance to the footpath that borders the Allen Sike spring. I'd say that's close enough to the drainage ditch marked on the map.I'd recommend that you visit it Calvin.

Hi saw119

Here's a map of showing Allen Sike in 1855, and a man made (ie bang straight) drainage channel approaching the sike from the south.

Where were the grates in relation to that?  Possibly placed to empty surface water from the road into the sike.

Recent walking around the Rivelin Valley area has produced two very rare beasts indeed;  On Rivelin Terrace, off Rivelin Road,  a Sheffield Corporation 1890, and a little further up the hill on Linaker Road, a whole street of Sheffield Corporation 1891's. These are interesting as they are on the pavement / grass verge, so I wonder if the street has been narrowed, or the property boundaries altered at some point. Both of these examples have only been found in one or two places before, and 1890 remains the earliest dated drain cover on our streets.

">">

Charles Ross of Heeley already features in this thread and his"> work can be seen all over Heeley, Abbeydale and Ecclesall in particular. I recently saw a couple of his coal chute covers with name legible in the 'Lakes' area off Abbeydale Road. There are thousands of these covers about, but I have only seen a handful with the name remaining.

Just behind 'Champs' sports bar on Loxley New Road a new 'Sheffield Local Board' !  The question is, as ever, does the date of the development of the area match the mid-19th century date of the Local Board's activities?

">43516

Dawes (Plumber), Hillsborough

">dawes plumber.jpg

​1925 directory.

Dawes  George  William,  plumber  147,  &  house  149,
Holme lane,  Hillsbro.

​1925 directory.

Dawes  George  William,  plumber  147,  &  house  149,
Holme lane,  Hillsbro.

​Dawes  George  William,  plumber,  108  Holme  lane, Hillsborough (1905).
Dawes  George  William,  plumber,  147  Holme  lane, Hillsborough (1911).