Drainspotting!

Calvin72

On Machon Bank, and on Walton Road off Ecclesall Road, there are a small number of these undated Corporation covers. I suspect they date from the late 1880's just before dates started being added.

A deep interest in grates and gullies isn't a new thing. The City was entertained by the "celebrated choked grates question" in 1883, which led to Alderman Harvey suggesting that Mr Bramley be known as the "Voluntary Inspector of Grates" despite Mr Bramley's limited understanding of how they worked.

Wadbrough Road, off Ecclesall Road, has several 'Sheffield Corporation' 1894 covers. Only one of these had previously been discovered, on Paradise Street.

Wadbrough Road, off Ecclesall Road, has several 'Sheffield Corporation' 1894 covers. Only one of these had previously been discovered, on Paradise Street.

Just as confirmation: Advert in the Evening Telegraph "Wanted - Workmen" section 10 Sept 1895 :

To Let, Plastering four houses at Wadbrough Road ; labour only ; good price given. Apply on job.

That's a new one with me!

Anyone else know anything about the 'Sheffield Telephone Exchange and Electric Light Company' ?

I visited tozzin's feature this morning - it is on Westbourne Road (not Melbourne Avenue unless there is one there too?), opposite no.36. Within an hour i had found another, in slightly worse condition, on Crookes Road, not far from the junction with Crookesmoor Road. As the company only lasted less than two years these are rare discoveries indeed.

I came across a drain cover on Durham Rd, its one of the clearest I've seen to say its dated 1897, the other one although not a drain cover harks back to the days of the term "Electric Light" this is on the pavement on Melbourne Avenue.

This is what i refer to above!

My avatar 'water works' feature has long since fascinated me - and now i think i have found another at the bottom (Broomhill end) of Crookes Road. What do you think? Is it the same?

S&HB By? Sheffield and 'something' boundary? I can't remember exactly where i saw this, but the order of photos on my phone suggests Abbeydale Road/London Road area.

And here one is ...

S&HB By? Sheffield and 'something' boundary? I can't remember exactly where i saw this, but the order of photos on my phone suggests Abbeydale Road/London Road area.

Previous discussion

I think there are a few of these boundary markers littered around our site.

Previous discussion

I think there are a few of these boundary markers littered around our site.

Thanks vox! - A couple of pages further down the 'Mystery Location' thread that you link to, you identified my photo as being at the Woodseats Road / Chantry Road junction and the feature to be a Sheffield & Hallamshire Bank Boundary marker.

Nathan Inman and John Hayhurst trading as

Inman & Hayhurst Limited, (, Ironmongers, Plumbers & Gasfitters).

Address: 39-41 Exchange Street, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

In business at least as early as 1888 and wound up in 1904.

Is this a relation of our Mr Hayhurst going it alone (complete with address)?

Is this a relation of our Mr Hayhurst going it alone (complete with address)?

William Hayhurst was John’s younger brother.

In 1891 William age 22 was an assistant Ironmonger living with relative John Hayhurst aged 33 Ironmonger, both were boarding at 7 Norfolk Road.

In October 1892 John Hayhurst and Nathan Inman of South Street Moor were prosecuted “that they unlawfully did sell to one Henry Andrews, a brace bit, to which a mark, so clearly resembling a trade mark of Frederick Brittain,….”. Brittains’ mark was a swan. Andrews worked for the Samuel Swann Brittain company and had been sent to several ironmongers looking for dubious products. He called at Messrs Inman and Hayhursts’ shop on the Moor. The court heard that a month before this purchase the shop had been sold to John Hayhurst’s brother William Hayhurst (whose name was not on the summons). It transpired that the Brittain company was building a case against the American Russell and Erwin company who were importing goods with a swan trademark. The case then went into details about trademarks and companies and the investigation. Debate then returned to who owned and sold the tools and who was the proprietor of the shop. The court found that William was the proprietor and the wrong persons had been named on the summons, case dismissed.

In 1896, May, William was in business on the Moor, selling lawn mowers, rollers and travelling trunks.

In 1901 William was aged 32 at 66 Glencoe Road with wife Nelly. He was born in Kendal, with wife Lily (recorded as Nelly in error) from Intake

An advert for the shop in 1902, shows an interesting variety of goods on sale:

In 1905 John Hayhurst was an Ironmonger trading at 80 Norfolk Road (Whites Directory).

John Hayhurst (Retired Ironmonger) died age 47 at 45 City Road and was buried on March 18, 1909 at City Road.

In 1911 William aged 42 retired to Woodhouse Road at Intake with Lily. The ironmonger business seems to have been quite successful to have provided for retirement at age 42.

I'm not sure why the photos above came out on their side. They were the right way up on my computer! Can anyone help turn them round please?

Back to the history... Here's another water works feature.

attachicon.gifSWWC2.jpg

There are plenty of things marked SCWW (Sheffield Corporation Water Works) around the city, but if you look closely this one reads SWWC. Could it be Sheffield Water Works Company and pre-date the corporation takeover perhaps?

I found a decent condition example of this pre-1888 Sheffield Water Works Company feature today - it is at the top of Dixon Lane and can be seen especially when the market stall holders have packed up for the day!

Thanks both - there are indeed plenty of Guest & Chrimes features around the City, usually water related. Looks like they had a good contract with Yorkshire Water if they are to be found all the way out in Whitby!

Don't know if you have this one but there is what looks like a Local Board cover, very worn, on the junction of Neepend Lane/Bardwell Road/Boyland Street.