Drainspotting!

Calvin72

More of a access cover than a drain on St James Row

Don't worry - the definition of 'drain' is pretty stretched already!

As it happens i like the small pavement features too :-)

I have already posted this on the 'VR Post Boxes' thread - it appears to be on, or close to. the site of a long removed Victorian Post Box...

but what is it...?

Recently completed the full set of Sheffield Corporation 1890's drains with this one near Paradise Square...

Sheffield Corporation 1894

As my research reveals interesting patterns of dates across areas of the City, this is the breakdown of 1890s drains, which either says something about the installation pattern or the survival rate of particular year's examples. They appear to be of similar or identical quality so i believe that survival rates have been reasonably consistent across Sheffield (as long as there has not been any major clearance programmes etc).

Corporation of Sheffield 1890 - 7 or 8 (four in one small Sharrow street) - also one behind the Children's Hospital.

Sheffield Corporation 1891 - 1 (also Sharrow).

Sheffield Corporation 1892 - 7 or 8 (in or around the City Centre).

Sheffield Corporation 1893 - 4 or 5 (mainly Kelham Island).

Sheffield Corporation 1894 - 1 (above).

Sheffield Corporation 1895 - 6 or 7 (various) - also a pair of nice examples behind the University 'Information Commons'.

Sheffield Corporation 1896 - the first common date, 50 or more.

Sheffield Corporation 1897 - likewise, 100 or more.

Sheffield Corporation 1898 - more numerous again, probably 200 or more.

Sheffield Corporation 1899 - also 200 or more.

These are the approximate numbers based on examples i have actually seen - actual survivors numbers may be a lot higher. But there is a clear pattern of a change in policy or method from 1896 which is something i noticed right at the top of this thread - now we are just putting some 'meat on the bones'!

Some maker's names for more informed people than me to tell us all about ... :)

Ireson Edward (& Sons), builders & contractor, 57 & 59 Weston Street.

1901,1905,1911 & 1925.

I didn't get anywhere with that one either.

I read it as INMAN & HATHURST - is that what you see ?

Could be INMAN & H ASHURST?

Unfortunately i am only able to take smaller pics with my mobile at the moment - not sure why, maybe i have too many pics on there. I do keep clearing out the files. It doesn't help to identify small writing although i see it as Inman and Hathurst. I suppose it could be H Athurst.

Holland Thos. builders' merchant, 78 Melbourne Road, 1901.
Holland Thos. fire brick &c. factor, 23 Broomhall Street, 1905.
Holland Thos. builders' merchant, 23 Broomhall Steet & 249 Western Road, , 1911.
Holland Thos. builders' merchant, 21 Broomhall Steet, 1925.

Unfortunately i am only able to take smaller pics with my mobile at the moment - not sure why, maybe i have too many pics on there. I do keep clearing out the files. It doesn't help to identify small writing although i see it is as Inman and Hathurst. I suppose it could be H Athurst.

Nathan Inman and John Hayhurst trading as

Inman & Hayhurst Limited, (, Ironmongers, Plumbers & Gasfitters).

Address: 39-41 Exchange Street, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

In business at least as early as 1888 and wound up in 1904.

Corner of Lydgate Lane and Manchester Road, Crosspool

Sheffield Corporation 1933

attachicon.gifSheffield Corporation 1933.jpg

There's an identical cover to this one with the same date located on the footpath outside Allen Sike Farm on Redmires Road.

I don't know why but this farm, which has gone by this name (from the nearby spring), for many years, has now been renamed Hallam Sike Farm.

HD

I was in Nottingham yesterday and i am glad to report that a few cursory glances at the ground revealed several 'Charlton Ironworks' features.

Found a completely new 1890's design today in Crookes. Nothing like i have seen anywhere else anyway.

Sheffield Corporation 1892 ?

Just a thought calvin - I think you should add more precise locations to all your photos, rather than just a general area. :)

Just a thought calvin - I think you should add more precise locations to all your photos, rather than just a general area. :)

I started out by trying to prevent their 'disappearance' to be honest vox - not sure what to think now - if people are interested i will identify locations.