Sheffield Tramway Manhole Covers

Calvin72

I've had a look in Kenneth Gandy's Sheffield Corporation Tramways book and the only route that was authorised but never built in that area was a short section down Sheldon Road to connect the Nether Edge and Abbeydale routes.

The only explanation I can think of is that cables were laid along South View Road to augment the traction supply to the Abbeydale route. This possibly happened when the Nether Edge route was closed down and the supply there was no longer needed. The heavy cables required would be in relatively short lengths and joint manholes would be required at regular intervals. Are the three pavement manholes spaced at regular intervals ? If so that might make the theory more plausible.

HD

Are the three pavement manholes spaced at regular intervals ? If so that might make the theory more plausible.

HD

Thanks HD - the first cover is right at the junction with Abbeydale Road, which i often pass and have seen many times, and then around one third and two thirds up South View Road, which i have only recently discovered. They are all on the left hand side going up the hill. They are spaced out very much as you suggest.

I've had a look in Kenneth Gandy's Sheffield Corporation Tramways book and the only route that was authorised but never built in that area was a short section down Sheldon Road to connect the Nether Edge and Abbeydale routes.

The only explanation I can think of is that cables were laid along South View Road to augment the traction supply to the Abbeydale route. This possibly happened when the Nether Edge route was closed down and the supply there was no longer needed. The heavy cables required would be in relatively short lengths and joint manholes would be required at regular intervals. Are the three pavement manholes spaced at regular intervals ? If so that might make the theory more plausible.

HD

Having had another look around i wonder if Gandy is mistaken about the road planned to link the two routes? Although Sheldon Road is a shorter, more direct connection it does seem strange that South View Road has the tramway features. The Nether Edge route, although short and an early closure, also has several feature remnants between Washington Road and Montgomery Road.

The London Gazette of 21st November 1899 contains a bill to be put before parliament which covers many aspects of the Corporation's work and which I think became the Sheffield Corporation Act 1900. The whole bill contains some fascinating information, but for this discussion the important bit is many proposed tramway works, including a line along Sheldon Road.

The relevant passage is on page 7244:

"Tramway No 7, commencing in Machon Bank Road, by a junction with the existing tramway therein, at a point 18 yards, or thereabouts west of the west side of Nether Edge Road, passing thence into and along Sheldon Road, and terminating in Abbeydale Road by a junction with Tramway No. 8, authorised by the Act of 1897, at. a point 5 yards, or thereabouts, north-east of the north side of Sheldon Road"

What I don't know is whether this tramway was actually authorised in the Act. Gandy clearly thinks so, but I have not yet found any corroborating evidence.

There is a Tramway cover half obscured outside Sheffield station on that side of the road on the way down towards Park Square (just before the steps and footbridge). Can't for the life of me think why i haven't seen it before unless it was completely covered by the surface until recently.

On my travels recently i found an amazing amount of these features on Rustlings Road (nine or ten i think).