Walkley Police Station

Steve457

I recently received an undated photograph of Walkley Police Station. Comparing it with the building in its "current" state on Google Earth it looks remarkably unchanged externally. However as the photo is undated I am now seeking assistance in dating it please.

In thee photograph all the Policemen wearing helmets have no badges on their helmets. The earliest police helmet plate for Sheffield that I am aware of was worn from 1865, so potentially this dates the photograph as pre-1865.

When was Walkley Police Station opened and when was it closed? The last I heard the building was in use as a dental surgery - is that still the case or is it now in use for something else?

Hi Steve, welcome to the Forum. There's a topic on police stations including Walkley here that you might find interesting. The one you're enquiring about did indeed use to be a dental surgery, but not for many years now. I think it's now a private house?

• Like 1

I don't believe the photograph can be pre 1865 as I am fairly sure that the 6 button tunic the policemen are wearing was introduced to replace the 8 button tunic which was brought in in the 1860's. I would date the photo to the 1880's.

• Like 1

First mention I can find of Burgoyne Road is 1893, that building is 4 Burgoyne Road. Does that help ?, can anyone find a better date for when Burgoyne Road was started pls?

Since found one single entry for a house owned by Edwin Garlick in 1864-5 (nowt to do with the photo and a bit odd it isn't mentioned in 1871 ...)

• Like 1

Looks like the building is actually on Langsett Road. Number 87.

There appear to be signs of the "Blue Lamp" being fixed above the door on the Langsett Road entrance, indicating that it was possibly the main entrance.

• Like 1

John Pindar Twibell, Inspector of police Police Station, 4 Burgoyne Road (Kelly's 1893) - SheffieldRecordsOnline - could well have changed.

Looks like the building is actually on Langsett Road. Number 87.

• Like 1

It was shown as separate addresses on the OS map in the 50's

4, Burgoyne Rd and 87, Langsett Rd.

It must have been split at some time, and then knocked back through more recently.

OS Map 31

Edit:

I think it still has the dentists sign in the stained glass panel over the side door.

• Like 1

It appears on

SHEFFIELD CITY COUNCIL
Central Community Assembly Report 2011

"Sheffield City Council is compiling a local list of buildings of
architectural and historic merit (The Local List’).
Local people have nominated buildings and structures for inclusion on
the list.
"

33 - Former police station - 87 Langsett Road 1 - Sheffield Listed Buildings Review 1990-95

• Like 1

When was Walkley Police Station opened and when was it closed?

In January 1872 the Town Council minutes show that the Finance Committee estimated probable expenses up to June to include £1,000 for the erection of a district Police Station at Langsett road. By July 1873 it was in operation and accepting "customers".

• Like 1

1891 Census request please, see if it existed ...

Census for John Pinder Twibell:

1871 - Policeman (29) living at 42 Brocco street with mum and dad

1881 - Police Constable Inspector living at 40 Whitworth lane, Attercliffe

1891 - Police Constable Inspector living at 87 Langsett road (Police Station) with Fanny Pinder (Housekeeper)

On September 5th 1877 the Watch Committee approved the promotion of Detective Twibell to the rank of Inspector, to replace Robert Day who had retired.

Within two weeks he had proved his worth - on September 21st he was in court having apprehended two truants who had stolen a duck. They were sentenced to12 strokes of the birch each.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I've not been back on here since I posted this query because of work commitments. However, a huge thank you for all your contributions! There is some fantastic stuff coming out here, so please if anybody knows anything else, keep it coming.

The information from the council minutes and the census is the sort of thing that starts to bring a photograph like this to life.

It was the section of this site on the Sheffield Police, particularly the info on Walkley Police Station, that prompted me to join the forum and post this query. A sound decision!

Once again, my grateful thanks for all your help (so far?) - I won't be a regular contributor to the site as at present this is the only Sheffield related photo I have, but I will be lurking in the background from time to time. One of my other interests is railways, not particularly Sheffield railways, but if I see any topics I think I can help with I will jump in.

Have a good weekend folks. Bye for now.

Having looked at photographs of the building as it is today I noticed the shield above the door on Langsett Road bearing a representation of the sheaf of arrows from the city coat of arms, representing the Burgery of Sheffield and the Twelve Capital Burgesses, the two bodies that bore the brunt of government in Sheffield before the formation of the Borough. The arms were not granted to Sheffield Borough Council until July 1875, so given the Police Station came into use in 1873,were they a later addition to the building?

Hi everyone,

I have just picked up this nice postcard showing Walkley Police Station.  It has been postally sent from Sheffield to an address in Grimsby and the stamp is franked 25 September 1905.  On the front of the postcard is printed "Police Station, Langsett Road".

Walkley Police Station.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this really classed as being in Walkley?

Sadly not looking so grand nowadays, but the climbing plant growing up the building seems to have survived..

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 23.08.36.png