1873 Hurricane

tozzin

On the 16th of December it will be 140 years since the great Hurricane hit Sheffield killing seven Townsfolk unfortunately I cannot find any photos or drawings of the event, I realise cameras were not an everyday item then but if anyone has any kind of images for publication, I would be grateful. A report of this event can be found by just typing 1873 Sheffield hurricane in your search box.

Interesting piece in the weather bit of today's Grauniad, talking about a cyclone that hit northern Europe in 1999, mainly affecting Denmark and Germany. Winds gusted to over 110mph, equivalent to a category 1 hurricane, but technically called an extra-tropical cyclone, or European winter storm. They differ from hurricanes because although they're circular, they don't have a calm 'eye' with a wall of dense storm cloud. Of the 20 most damaging European storms ever, 2 were in October, 5 in December, 9 in January, and 4 in February.

Can not find any images apart from Newspaper articles.

HURRICANE .

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Wednesday, December 17, 1873.