91 Spital Hill

tozzin

I had a bit of a walk up Spital Hill today and I noticed this building, it has a name on one of the Quoins "Spital House", I know its had many different businesses over the years but who was the original tenant, can anyone help.

White's 1901.

81 Hewitt William, coal merchant
83 Stanley John, watch maker
85 Worthington Mrs. Sarah, tripe dresser
Lockwood Brothers Limited, merchants & manufacturers
Sorby John & Sons, edge tool mfrs
91 Dover Fredk. Wm. confectioner
93 & 95 Smith William Percival, hosier & draper
97 & 99 Hart James, tailor

Judging by the triangular building, number 83, (Just above the tunnel) I think what you have marked is a bit too low down the hill. (Probably where number 87 is/was) Putting 91 around about the end of the word "Works" on your map from 1890.

1950's OS Map

Rare occasion - got the 50's maps working - after a fashion. :)

It looks to me as thought No 87 is now No 91, if you look at this picture from Google Earth, you can see the building actually joins the building that runs off to the left.

1780 John and Henry Sorby, tool and knife making partnership, was founded at Spital Hill (Henry was the son of John). The Sorby residence, Spital Hill House, was on the southern edge of the manufacturing complex known as Spital Hill Works.

1849 Spital Hill House formerly the residence of John Sorby, was now an educational academy.

1850 John and Henry Sorby and its trademarks were sold to Lockwood Brothers, though Lockwood Brothers were operating in Spital Hill several years before this. Lockwood Brothers was founded in 1767 in Ecclesfield, and moved to Sheffield in 1798.

1861 The Spital Hill railway tunnel going through the grounds of Spital Hill House and supporting the foundations of the southern corner, collapsed killing six. Cracks in the house were probably there before the collapse.