London Road Rail Crossing

Guest Danny

Hi

Dont ask me why, i dont usually need a reason, but i was looking at London Road on PS. I jumped on to Google Maps to pin point something, and noticed that the railway crossing near Ponsford, at some point, was a double crossing.

There is an openiing in the wall on the south side of the crossing, on both sides of the road (both are now bricked up).

Then i found this on PS

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t01909&pos=84&action=zoom&id=32318

Which confirms it.

How would i go about finding out when this second bridge was removed, and why?

Ive only ever known it be a single crossing in my 36 years, so i am guessing it was removed way before my time.

Thanks

:-)

Guest Paul Berry

The railway overbridges at London Road (also close by at Gleadless Road, Saxon Road, Little London Road, etc) are or were actually three separate spans. The outer two, which in some locations have been removed, were for the slow, local lines, while the main middle ones were for the fast, main lines.

Where the outer bridges have been removed, you can clearly see the abutments and the bricked-up spaces at the top.

When the local lines and suburban stations were decommissioned in 1968 the decision was probably taken then to remove some of the bridges instead of paying for upkeep.

I don't know why all of the old ones haven't yet gone. From this aerial view you can see Gleadless Road has the original two outer bridges intact yet just yards away over London Road, they have long since gone. (Nothing to do with the current bridge work there.)

http://www.meersbrook.co.uk/postcards/former_heeley_post_office_london_road_sheffield_tram.html

Thanks Paul

I looked at the same areial view and TBH, I didnt notice the extra span at the bottom of Gleadless Road.

Very strange that they didnt remove both, being so close.

Could it something to do with the height of buses compared to trams and a bus wouldnt fit underneath maybe?

Thanks Paul

I looked at the same areial view and TBH, I didnt notice the extra span at the bottom of Gleadless Road.

Very strange that they didnt remove both, being so close.

Could it something to do with the height of buses compared to trams and a bus wouldn't fit underneath maybe?

The trams needed more height beneath a bridge than buses. The trams were over 16 ft in height compared to around 14 ft for buses, and the overhead wire had to be fitted in as well.

• Like 1

The track is still there on the Saxon Road crossing.

Google Stretview

Along with this sign which I think says Redundant Track.

Google Stretview

However, the track has been removed at the Little London Road crossing.

Google Stretview

In common with several other places the road at Heeley was "dropped" specifically to accommodate double deck trams, the others being Upwell Street and Brightside Lane. The overhead wire was arranged to be at the side of the tram almost level with the top deck guttering. Until recently the railway bridge had the fixings for the overhead still visible

Thanks for the replies :-)

I was aware of the drop in road height beneath some rail bridges being to accomodate double deck trams.

Still seems a little weird they took the bridge down in some places and not others.