Could Be A Memorable Day For Wind Damage, Keep Us Posted.

RichardB

Up here in the rarefied atmosphere of Lodge Moor (900+ feet ASL) we are used to high winds, and the regular chases to recover wheelie bins and their contents.

I was beginning to think things were a bit excessive when next doors dormer window extension flew over their roof and landed in the road and pavement outside with a MASSIVE crash.

I'd parked my car in the road outside because I was afraid that some of my tiles might fall on my drive.

A lump of timber with UPVC barge-board and five square metres of attached roofing landed about 8 inches away from the back of my car. It was so heavy it took me all my strength to shift it.

The aerodynamic dormer has removed a lot of their ridge tiles and an area of roofing tiles.

I know that the insurance company will pay the cost of repairs but it's a rotten thing to happen to nice neighbours just before Christmas..

If it continues like this we shall all finish up living in underground houses like our prehistoric ancestors.

HD

Up here in the rarefied atmosphere of Lodge Moor (900+ feet ASL) we are used to high winds, and the regular chases to recover wheelie bins and their contents.

I was beginning to think things were a bit excessive when next doors dormer window extension flew over their roof and landed in the road and pavement outside with a massive crash.

I'd parked my car in the road outside because I was afraid that some of my tiles might fall on my drive.

A lump of timber with UPVC barge-board and five square metres of attached roofing landed about 8 inches away from the back of my car. It was so heavy it took me all my strength to shift it.

The aerodynamic dormer has removed a lot of their ridge tiles and an area of roofing tiles.

I know that the insurance company will pay the cost of repairs but it's a rotten thing to happen to nice neighbours just before Christmas..

If it continues like this we shall all finish up living in underground houses like our prehistoric ancestors.

HD

Very windy today, but not a patch on that infamous day in February 1962.

Part of Mom's garage roof ripped off over at Hackenthorpe.

Apart from chasing my bike and the bird table around, along with a couple of broken plant-pots, there's no damage at my house.

(Not had a proper look at the roof yet though.)

A house across the back garden has lost a large patch of slates. I saw them go flying across the neighbouring gardens.

I was watching a blue bin box travelling up and down our road. It came down from Landseer Close travelled nearly halfway down Landseer Drive to Constable Road. Then came in the other direction passed our house heading towards Mawfa. That's the last we saw of it! lol

Several trees damaged near the Herdings Park Tram stop. A big one lost it's branch on the dual carriage way where the layby is on Norton Avenue. Workmen had to cut the branch up as it would have blocked the path.

I had an appointment to go to at 1 pm, as I would have been walking there I decided to phone up and cancel it.

The lady on the phone asked “why?”

I replied “Adverse weather conditions” as I didn't fancy walking over two miles and getting wet through, then walking back home.

She asked “haven't you got an umbrella?”.

:rolleyes:

Highest wind speed recorded in South Yorkshire today, 87 mph, High Bradfield.

High Bradfield village is almost exactly at the same height ASL as our bit of Lodge Moor, about 920 feet, but I think the weather station may well be much further up the hill at the Sheffield University Laboratories by the radio mast. This is 300 feet higher than the village itself.

HD

Forecast to peak between 9pm and midnight. In fact dropped quickly around 10pm, now relatively calm. (12pm) (On the other hand it might be a change in direction, we cop anything from SW to North, but get quite a bit of shelter form other directions.)

They complain that the Sheffield Telegraph contains a lot of old news, but today's issue has a photo in the bygone section of the damage at Arbourthorne in 1962. Late editing or co-incidence?

By coincidence Bayleaf, as yesterdays storm was exactly 52 years after the Sheffield gale of 1962.

So now I have experienced and lived through both.

Had to cancel a night out drinking and doing a boozer quiz with Stuart last night due to the weather.

By coincidence Bayleaf, as yesterdays storm was exactly 52 years after the Sheffield gale of 1962.

So now I have experienced and lived through both.

Had to cancel a night out drinking and doing a boozer quiz with Stuart last night due to the weather.

Well they got the date right but reckon it was " two nights of Hurricane force winds".

Yes the 1962 gale was, as I remember it, early hours of Monday 12 February 1962. It has often been quoted as being later in the week but I think this is due to The Star reporting it and putting out a special around the 16th February. Other sources are now saying that there were 2 nights of gales close together to allow for this date discrepancy. It could be true, but again from my recollection, all the damage was done in a single night and my "evacuation" to a safe place lasted 1 day only, that day was the Monday (12th) as the school was closed that day to temporarily provide shelter to those made homeless. An article in last Saturdays Star also claims that after the gale all the residents of the surviving prefabs grouped together and refused to pay their rent until the council did something to secure their homes in the event of a further, similar, storm. This was a new story to me, but my late father was the rent payer. My mother has no recollection of anyone refusing to pay rent at the time.