Old House Broad Lane

tozzin

I had a walk on Broad Lane today, to take a photo of what was the house that the Duke Of Norfolk had built for his eldest son in 1704, its listed and its great little house. I had a chat with the present owner who furnished me with the info. Its also great to see the cobbles of the livestock market still in situ, unfortunately cars spoilt the full view of them.

I have been looking for information for this House for some time. Isn't it a bit small and insignificant for the Duke of Norfolk's Son? His Agent had a much bigger house than this. Is there documentary evidence for this? I had thought this was a Horn Merchants house but I have no real evidence for that either. What livestock market was this please? And when?

I can tell you that it will date to around 1790 to 1800 from the style of the stonework around the windows. It doesn't look posh enough to be for the Duke's son. In fact there are houses near the Elm Tree on City Road that use the same style of windows, which were miners houses. If it belonged, or was used by one person or family, then it would have been a middle class dwelling. This would of course depend on if the entrance was "shared". Though again looking at the doorway I would have thought not.

1797 trade Index gives it as a pen-knife manufacturer. I would doubt it is a lot older than that. So possibly he built the House? There seems to have been a growing number of these residences in the Redhill Broad Lane area re House and adjoining works.

An extract from R.E. Leader's Remininscences of Old Sheffield (1875) refers to this house as being next to the Quakers Burial Ground:

A few yards from Red hill, down Broad lane, there is a blank space enclosed with a high and substantial wall. Few persons of the present generation will be aware of that spot having been a Cemetery. At the commencement of this century it was the only Quakers' burial ground in the town ; though they had several places in the country. I myself have seen two persons interred in this plot, both of them adult females.

The next building below was a large and respectable house, with a clock in front of it. This was the residence of Mr. Samuel Hill, who was much celebrated in his day for his proficiency in clock making and repairing. Many of his clocks may be seen in the town, but more especially in the neighbouring villages, with his name on the face. He was a tall man, wearing a broad-brimmed hat, long coat, with breeches and leggings. He kept a stout pony on which to go his rounds in the country, with his case of tools ; and at their own houses cleaned and repaired the clocks of the farmers and villagers. He was a respectable man, and very widely and generally esteemed.

Hill, Samuel (clock maker). Residing at Broad Lane. Recorded in: Gales & Martin Directory of Sheffield - 1787.

1808 map showing the burial ground and my estimate of the position of No. 194 Broad Lane:

And an advert for the sale of the house from 1844:

Some Trade Directory entries for Lister - with numbering discrepancies:

Lister & Co, (merchants and factors). Residing at 70 Broad Lane. Recorded in Gells 1825 Directory of Sheffield.

Lister, Wm Son & Co (Merchts). Residing at 70 Broad Lane, in 1837.Recorded in Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.

Lister, Wm. (merchant and table knife mfcr).and another entry for (mfrs. of spring and table knives, razors etc.) Residing at 116 Broad lane, in 1841. Recorded in Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheffield & Rotherham Directory - 1841.

If I remember rightly the house had a large crack down the front of it and looked un-lived in for many years. Eventually it was repaired (probably quite a few years ago now).

The information about it being built for the Duke Of Norfolk's son came directly from the Duke Of Norfolk's Office on St James Street and was supplied to the present owner. Just because it isn't BIG doesn't mean it was built for Norfolk's son, he could have just used it as an office and not a home which is more likely.

If I remember rightly the house had a large crack down the front of it and looked un-lived in for many years. Eventually it was repaired (probably quite a few years ago now).

It cost £70,000 to put it right.

Bits in bold need attention, either that or he lived a very long time.

An extract from R.E. Leader's Remininscences of Old Sheffield (1875) refers to this house as being next to the Quakers Burial Ground:

Hill, Samuel (clock maker). Residing at Broad Lane, in 1911. Recorded in: Gales & Martin Directory of Sheffield - 1787.

1808 map showing the burial ground and my estimate of the position of No. 194 Broad Lane:

And an advert for the sale of the house from 1844:

Some Trade Directory entries fro Lister - with numbering discrepancies:

Lister & Co, (merchants and factors). Residing at 70 Broad Lane, in 1846. Recorded in Gells 1825 Directory of Sheffield.

Lister, Wm Son & Co (Merchts). Residing at 70 Broad Lane, in 1837.Recorded in Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.

Lister, Wm. (merchant and table knife mfcr).and another entry for (mfrs. of spring and table knives, razors etc.) Residing at 116 Broad lane, in 1841. Recorded in Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheffield & Rotherham Directory - 1841.

Bits in bold need attention, either that or he lived a very long time.

Extract from the Directory below. I've dropped the Indexers a line, they seem to have a problem with dates on several directories.

Original post edited and proof reader sacked.

Some Trade Directory entries for Lister - with numbering discrepancies:

Lister & Co., Merchants, 70 Broad Lane - Baine's 1822 Directory.

Lister & Co., Merchants and factors, 70 Broad Lane - Gells 1825 Directory.

Lister & Co., Merchants and button dealers, 74 Broad Lane - White's 1833 Directory. (Edward Batty, Carrier & c., h. 70 Broad Lane - White's 1833 Directory.

Lister, Wm Son & Co., Merchants, 70 Broad Lane, Whites 1837 Directory. (Also Miss E. Harvey, 70 Broad Lane - White's 1837)

Lister, Wm., Merchant and table knife manufacturer and another entry for Manufacturers. of spring and table knives, razors etc. - 116 Broad Lane, Henry & Thos. Rodgers 1841 Directory.

(added to original list.)

My grandad lived in the house that was just above this one.They were bombed out in WWII but the gable wall was still standing in the '80's and the fireplace could still be seen.

I know all the land there belonged to the Duke of Norfolk. Still can't see it being his son's especially as they already had a House that the family used when in town. Also given date of House and the documentary evidence unless the Duke of Norfolk had an illegitimate son who was a manufacturer how could it be his son's house unless he owned it rather than lived in it.

The 9th Duke of Norfolk who lived through most of the 18th century and died in 1777 didn't have a son. He died with no male heir and the estate passed to a cousin. So he couldn't have built it for his Son.

The 9th Duke of Norfolk who lived through most of the 18th century and died in 1777 didn't have a son. He died with no male heir and the estate passed to a cousin. So he couldn't have built it for his Son.

I only posted what the present owner told me after he contacted the Estate office, I'm presently waiting for a history of the house from the Norfolk's estate as to whether it did indeed belong to the Norfolk's.

Just checked my e-mails and duckweed is completely correct, I've had confirmation from the Norfolk Estate and they don't have ANY record of this house in their archives, its suggested that the Dukes local agent had it built and it may have passed from him to his son. I cant understand why the owner of the house told me a quite believable story which isn't true. I am going to contact him with the truth about the house BUT I should have used my own instincts as he also told me (which I know isn't true) that the Montgomery drinking fountain on Broad Lane was erected as a tribute to a Doctor that supposedly lived in the house, who did a lot of good work at the time of the Cholera epidemic, so I should have checked his Norfolk information myself as duckweed did, I promise to wear sackcloth and short trousers with the backside hanging out as a penance for six weeks.

I have learned by doing Genealogy research that even what seems a good source always to look for other sources. My husbands family all claim an Ancestor was born in Scotland but looking up documents found his mother was but not him. What is true is that the area was gardens and that it belonged to Norfolk estates but then so does a lot of Sheffield. Duke of Norfolk may possibly be mentioned in deeds as original owner of the land or as landlord.

From Sheffield Independent 21 October 1872

PERSONAL RECOLLECTIONS OF BROAD LANE AND ITS VICINITY.

“Brickholes.” This comprised the large brickfield that extended from St. John’s street, nearly to Bailey lane. This was the property of the late Thomas Harrison, Esq.,the father of Miss Harrison, of Weston. ‘The chief manager of this brickyard was old Joseph Marsden, the father of Tom Marsden, afterwards the celebrated cricket player, but who then worked with his father at making bricks. A large space out of which the clay had been dug became by supplies from various sources filled with water, so as to form a pond extending from Newcastle street to a little beyond Rockingham street. In the winter seasons this was a noted place for sliding and skating. In one part the water was of such a depth that I once saw a person have a very narrow escape from drowning. It was a winter’s day, the ice being of great thickness, when, just at dusk, a man who was coming from Trippet lane to Broad lane, in crossing over did not happen to see that there was a hole broken in the ice ; and in he went over head! With his hands grasping the edge of the ice he cried out loudly and piteously for help, when a tall young man, snatching a knur stick out of my hand, and another, similarly provided, rushed to his aid, and rescued the poor fellow from his extreme peril. The part of Rockingham street where this occurrence took place is, of course, “made ground” across the “Brick hole;” and certain portions of Newcastle street and St. Thomas street are the same. 

These “ personal recollections of Broad lane” it will hardly do to conclude without some brief reference to its annual “ festival”—an event long anticipated and much* enjoyed, especially by the young folks. It was held on “Holy Thursday,” and regarded as a general holiday. In preparation for it during the previous week, there was a great stir of whitewashing and cleaning, so as to put on the very best appearance. On that day the Sunday clothes were worn. The best thing about that “Festival,” as it now appears to me, was that it partook very much of the spirit and character of a social gathering of relatives and friends—when the married daughter came to her former home with her children to see “grandmother,” and aunts and uncles, with youthful cousins of both sexes, met in kindly association, indulged in joke and laughter, and keenly enjoying ball-play and all other innocent merriments. Such, at least, was my home experience; and, from all I saw, my impression is that of our neighbours was of a similar kind, But the great attraction for us youngsters was the gingerbread stalls, the ‘* crankies,” the swings, the puppet shows, and the “races.” The open space at the bottom of Townhead street and Broad lane was just like a “fair.” Amidst all this life and animation, restless activity, din, and turmoil, in perfect contrast might be seen the “ blacksmith,” with pipe in his mouth, and bare brawny arms resting on the smithy door, looking on the busy scene, with countenance calm and complacent. But the grand expectation and sight were the “races.” These were run by donkeys and ponies; the “jockeys” being generally milk boys out of the country ; who, disencumbering their asses of saddles and milk barrels, prepared for the contest. The prizes usually were a hat, a smock-frock, or a teapot; and the “courses” Bailey field, Bailey lane, and Broad lane. How the riders managed to rush up and down the steepness of Bailey field, and the narrowness of Bailey lane without some breaking of the necks or limbs, either of themselves or the spectators, is to me up to this day a mystery. Wearing the new hat, adorned with flying colours, his ruddy face and bright eyes beaming with conscious triumph, the victor, after re-saddling his ass, was then accompanied a short distance homeward, amidst shrill and loud, and hearty acclamations. Such, in“ auld lang syne,” was Broad lane Feast. 

There is just another spot that I intended to have touched upon, the “ Brocco” and “ Jericho,” but I have already trespassed on your space. Hoping that these reminiscences of one locality of “Old Sheffield,” about half a century ago, may not be unacceptable to at least a certain class of the readers of the Independent, I remain, Mr. Editor, your obliged, S. E.

Im guessing that the cobbled area was the original road, with quite a steep camber, since widened to include todays modern road by its side?