Department Stores

sixspeed

I grew up in Sheffield during the fantastic 1960s. I used to spend my Saturday mornings wandering from shop to shop, Walsh's, Cole Brothers and all the big stores and of course Redgates. Sadly I left Sheffield in 1973 (not by choice) I have'nt been back much since and I am curious to know which shops survived and which did'nt. Can anyone help?

Guest darcy

I grew up in Sheffield during the fantastic 1960s. I used to spend my Saturday mornings wandering from shop to shop, Walsh's, Cole Brothers and all the big stores and of course Redgates. Sadly I left Sheffield in 1973 (not by choice) I have'nt been back much since and I am curious to know which shops survived and which did'nt. Can anyone help?

Hi Sixspeed.

Out of that list the only one left is Cole Brothers which was re-named to its parent company name John Lewis in 2001. Still in the same building on Barkers Pool though since 1963.

Atkinsons on the Moor have survived, Debenhams (Pauldens) on the Moor are still there, together with Coles that Darcy has mentioned, thats it for Sheffield City Centre.

Pretty poor really for a city the size of Sheffield.

Mrs. Athy reckons that the initials stand for "Bring Home Something".

I recall many visits to Cole's with my parents, but at that time the shop was situated on what was known as "Coles Corner". It was bought by a property developer called Charles Clore around 1962, shortly before we left Sheffield, and I remember The Star renaming the site "Clore Corner".