Bingley House Farm Or Farm On Bingley Lane? (Stannington/rivelin)

miked

I have a problem, I am trying to identify two farms nearly opposite each other on Bingley Lane.

Bingley House (O.S. maps) is now at least a farm and looks 19th c to me but I think replaced an older one, I have no idea what was there before,

Topside of the lane is Bingley farm (O.S. maps) or Bingley Lane Farm. This was due to be demolished because of a tree problem but not now. It has evidently some great age.

I have references to a "...farm on Bingley Lane" 1819 and later stated "... a farm at Bingley House" mentioned 1835. So description inconclusive.

I have a Mark and an earlier Charles Dyson (pre 1828, possibly pre 1800) Both cutlers and mentioned in connection with the "Bingley House Trust" - set up to educate the Stannington poor in the 17th c. and associated with Underbank School and chapel.

"Revitt, Jonathan, Born Mar 06 1820 in Nether Gate, Stannington, Yorkshire, Died Jun 06 1896 in Bingley House, Stannington" (Tribal page.)

There are Beals at Bingley Farm (I reckon) in the 1841 Census, another cutler.not yet found later Census

I have been unable to track down any old pics or old maps . Can anyone help please?

Mike

Hi

Thanks, its matching the descriptions that are ambiguous. Its possible its Bingley house but other clues seem to point to Bingley Farm. i.e. no cutlers mentioned at Bingley house in 1841c.

I will have to try again and find a Fairbanks map. the current building offers no help at all.

I think it may help if I can find out what these places were called in the early 1800s.

Thanks again

mike

In October 1867 Mr J Revitt of Bingley House Stannington won second prize for Turnips in the Farmers under 20 acres section of the Stannington and Loxley Agricultural Association show

On October 2nd 1877 Samuel Revitt died at Bingley House Stannington aged 51.

In August 1896 the Bradfield Parish council instructed their clerk to send further facts about the Bingley House Charity to the Charity Commissioners - and looking further back-

Page 565 onwards of the Report of the Charity Commisioners from 1828 contains details (and I do mean details) of the Bingley House charity. It refers to Mr Shore (the banker), Mr Swallow (the cutler) Mr Revett (of Dungworth), and Mark Dyson (the occupier):

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZTZbAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA569&dq=charity+commissioners+%22bingley+house%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-MhyUvDEBMmn0QWQ2IGAAQ&ved=0CEcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=charity%20commissioners%20%22bingley%20house%22&f=false

hi

Thanks, yes it is detailed!

Been down to Local studies , looked at "The history of Underbank Chapel", by Wood, 1944.

He says that Bingley House was sold in 1926 and the Trust terminated. Sold back to a Revell who I think owned it in the first place.

If I can get hold of this sale (Plan?) I hope it will answer a lot. Archives on Saturday!

Found a description by Clarion Ramblers, they seemed confused in 1957. (I will post on tomorrow.)

Mike

Below are some Dyson extracts from the Apprentices records in the HISTORY OF THE CUTLERS' COMPANY by ROBERT EADON LEADER. Vol 2

Dyson Abraham, son of Charles, Stannington ; to Father, k. ; Freedom 1791.

Dyson, George son of Isaac, Stannington, carp., dec. to Pickford Jonthn., Stngtn., c. ;7, 1768, F. 1777.

Dyson John, s. of John, fogr., dec. ; to Joseph, Attercliffe, fogr. ; 7, 1792, F. 1799.

Dyson John son of Joseph, Birley Carr, lab. ; Lto Fowler, Stephen, Wincobank, sc. ; 7, 1794.

Dyson John (I) s. of Geo., Stannington, ra., F. 1800. (2) s. of Mark, Stannington, k., F. 1804.

Dyson Mark, son of Abraham, Bradfield, t. ; to Redfearne Matthew, Worrall, c. ; 7, 1766, F. 1792.

Dyson Mark, son of Mark, Stannington ; to Father, k. ; 7, 1803.

k = knifemaker, F = Freedom, t = tailor, c = cutler, fogr = forger, ra = razor maker, lab = labourer, dec = deceased, sc = scissorsmith, 7 = length of apprenticeship

Thanks Edmund, well set out.

I think I have my tree sorted, as regards Bingley House.

The Abraham (8x my grt grandfather) was a Taylor from Worrall, his two sons became cutlers: George and Charles who end up at Bingley House. Joined later by two Marks and another George. Its a bit more complicated in that some end up at Clough Fields and as expected the slums of Sheffield

Just need to identify for certain "Bingley House. As mentioned the Clarion Ramblers in 1957 were as confused as me. They have Bingley House to the NORTH of the lane and also mention Francis Townsend instead of Creswick . (Admire their interest though)

Apart from my personal interest there's some intriguing stories here. The Underbank and Revell story in particular

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.revell/82/mb.ashx

In 1822 the following are listed in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer Directory of 1822.

Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" for BINGLEY SEAT –

Dyson Mark, pen & pocket knife mfr.

Nichols Isaac, pocket knife mfr.

Barber Thomas, pocket knife mfr.

Barnes John, pen and pocket knife manufacturer

Interesting that they come under Bingley Seat and that two also make penknives which may be unusual for Stannington.

Baines 1822

Dyson Mark, pen & pocket knife mfr. (Bingley House Farm)

Nichols Isaac, pocket knife mfr.

Barber Thomas, pocket knife mfr.

Barnes John, pen and pocket knife manufacturer (Sycamore Farm)

I now know Barnes was at Sycamore Farm. Now trying to find where Nichols (family) was... interesting link below.

Also Barber if anyone can help please? One probably at Bingley Cottage - not a farm though. I imagine Nichols could be on Rails

An Edward Nichols it appears was the finder of the Roman Diploma in 1761 (Addy in Hall of Waltheof 1893, quotes a statement made in 1863)

He said that the Lawns was then the property of Mr.Thompson, and that the diploma was found "in what is now a small rectangular Croft, skirted by a few trees, near this house." The croft, he said, "is the property of Mr. Nichols, who lives on a farm near Bingley-lane, to the right and the discovery of the tablets [the diploma] was made by his grand father 102 years ago, who then held the same farm. They had evidently been buried in a rather deep hole formed for the purpose, and were covered with a large stone."

If we find where Nichols lived then we may get a clue to where the diploma was found?

Thanks

mke

"Way back in 1761, Edward Nichols was
clearing a field known as Kings Piece at
Lawns Farm, Stannington where he found
the incomplete remains of a Roman
diploma."

Rivelin Valley Conservation Group

Is this Lawns farm ?

attachicon.gifFarm-Rivelin.jpg

Google streetview

I've had a look at some old maps and can't spot it. However if anyone has access to Sheffield Archives there's a couple of items that would help:

SY317/X3/4

Title 18 valuable freehold farms, small holdings etc at Redmires, Rivelin, Hollow Meadows, Crawshaw, Moscar, Loadbrook and Handsworth, with farm and fishing rights at Bamford (Dbys.) (Duke of Norfolk' estate) to be sold by auction at the Cutlers' Hall on 30 July 1919

Description Includes plans.

Includes:

Peat Farm, Redmires;

Knoll Top Farm, Redmires;

Rivelin Lodge Farm;

Fox Hagg Farm, Rivelin;

Low Coppice House Farm, Bell Hagg;

Coppice Farm;

Rails Farm, Rivelin;

Rail House Farm;

Lawns Farm;

Surrey Farm;

Hollow Meadows;

Swinglee Ford Farm, Hollow Meadows, Beeton Road Farm, Crawshaw, Load Brook Farm;

Rod Moor;

The Farm, Bamford [Derbyshire]

NHS3/2/2/1

Title Agreement

Description 1. Sheffield No 2 Hospital Management Committee

2. Thompson Brothers of the Lawns Farm, Rivelin Bridge, Sheffield, farmers and dairymen

Agreement to let 33 acres of the Middlewood Hospital estate for grazing and mowing purposes; with plan.

Date 22 Apr 1971

Hi

Thanks for tips, those plans could be useful

I wonder if anyone can find a Nichols on any of the 1841,51,61 Census please? It seems like they should be there somewhere

Lawns Farm is interesting because the name derived from a clearing in a deer forest (French root). The Thompson family were there till recently after hundreds of years!

I have an ancestor (Isaac) from Bingley House who worked and lived there in c1828 as a farm labourer (Bradfield Archive Militia list)

I reckon the diploma was found near Rails

Photo from old Hospital wood, Lawns farm is in the distance, it is not hard to imagine the deer forest. Its often not understood that "Forest" does not mean wall to wall trees) note the holly

Rivelin Pillar a few days ago

To the side of Lawns Farm is a huge underground treated water tank holding water from the Yorkshire Water treatment works over the other side of the A57.

Apart from the surface of a couple of fields looking unusually uniform, you wouldn't know it was there. They even re-instated the dry stone field boundary wall over the top. I think this was built around the time the treatment works was greatly enlarged in the mid nineties.

Looking down from Lodge Moor you would never think that the huge scar on the landscape during the construction would now be invisible.

HD