Embarrassing Defeats No 1

dunsbyowl1867

Danny Williams in the Programme "Of course we want to win in the cup today and go on in this competition but it's points I'm after and I'd cheerfully sacrifice cup glory for safety if that were possible"

The players obviously thought it was a good idea and promptly lost 2-1 at home to 4th division Scunthrope. Point of interest the Scunthorpe No 7 was attracting interest of a lot of 1st Division clubs! Wonder how he did?

And whatever happened to Nigel Cassidy who scored the two Scunny goals?

I'm torn between this game and Jack Charlton's 2nd game in charge when we lost 1-0 to non league Wigan at Springfield Park. His first game was also a defeat at Exeter. I went to both...

Guest fredmciverslovechild

And whatever happened to Nigel Cassidy who scored the two Scunny goals?

I'm torn between this game and Jack Charlton's 2nd game in charge when we lost 1-0 to non league Wigan at Springfield Park. His first game was also a defeat at Exeter. I went to both...

No, no, no!

The Wigan game was Big Jack's 13th....and I went to both that and the Exeter game as well!

One No would have been well sufficient.... <_<

You probably went to all the Div 3 games I went to. The whole thing was embarrassing, the Walsall washout, Tommy Tynan scoring in a 5-2 pasting at Swindon, nine minutes of injury time at Peterborough and Bury on boxing Day. They were times to forget really but perversely we have fond memories.

Now you're going to tell me it was 5-3 and that the Walsall game was played to a finish in paddle boats behind closed doors aren't you??

Guest owl capone

The Walsall game was abandoned after 30 mins with wednesday fans disrupting games in the local park on the way back to the coaches. The replayed match was a 2-2 draw with Wednesday losing a 2 goal lead.The following year we lost 5-1 after being 1-0 up. We also lost 1-0 at Scunny in 74 league cup. The boxing day match at Bury was a 0-0 draw and a lot of Wednesday fans thought the ref was playing loads of injury time. It hadn't dawned on us at the time that it was a 3.15 kick off!!!!

The ref did play loads of injury time,regardless of the 3.15 kick-off.This was Kevin McNally,a newsagent from the Chester area with a very dubious reputation.Both Bobby Moore and Alan Woodward received the only dismissals of their careers from this man.Moore actually led his Fulham side off the field at Bolton in protest at McNally's refereeing,and was not allowed back when order was restored.He sent Rodger Wylde off in the Bury game,and Dave Cusack was struggling with a head injury,so Wednesday's second-half rearguard action (lasting an hour!)was particularly commendable.

Guest kivetonowl

I remember one from a couple of years ago, losing to Cambridge over 2 legs in the Worthington Cup i think - that was very embarrasing

Guest marconi

You probably went to all the Div 3 games I went to. The whole thing was embarrassing, the Walsall washout, Tommy Tynan scoring in a 5-2 pasting at Swindon

I remember that game. Former Wednesday centre half Colin Prophet went in goal for Swindon, after jim Barron went off injured in the first half. Still managed to lose 5-2.

Tynan scored in what I think was his debut. Myself and a mate caught the train home that day, and travelled back as far as Birmingham, with non other than Tommy Tynan!