Cutlers of Hallamshire 1624-1699

dunsbyowl1867

List of masters in the Cutler's Company and Apprentices 1624-1699 - happy to look up any names for anyone.

List of masters in the Cutler's Company and Apprentices 1624-1699 - happy to look up any names for anyone.

Well, I like the look of that !!! :rolleyes: is it easy to get a hold of please ?

Well, I like the look of that !!! :rolleyes: is it easy to get a hold of please ?

Hi Richard - I bought it in Sheffield Archives i think - haven't seen it since. Maybe if you contact the University - I can't imagine it was a bestseller and they've probably got piles, books I mean. lol

and they've probably got piles, books I mean. lol

Interesting mental image lol

I'll take you up on the following surnames, please

Brant/Brunt/Gorrill/Wolstenholme

somewhat before the time I can connect my family tree back to, but, here's hoping lol

Interesting mental image lol

I'll take you up on the following surnames, please

Brant/Brunt/Gorrill/Wolstenholme

somewhat before the time I can connect my family tree back to, but, here's hoping lol

[/quote

Richard

Sorry - from the list of Masters in the Cutlers Company

Brant = None

Brunt = None

Gorrill = None

Wolstenholme = None

Well, I like the look of that !!! is it easy to get a hold of please ?

The book is available form Sheffield and District Family History Society.

Sheffield Scene on Surrey St also stock it.

ww.sheffieldfhs.org.uk

Hi, is the above offer of help still available? Would it be possible for you to look up one of my ancestors please? John Turton, born 1762, son of John Turton, shoemaker, took his apprenticeship in 1776. His master was William Woollen of Sheffield Park.  Did he complete his apprenticeship? I don't know what information your book contains but would appreciate it if you can tell me if John is mentioned. Many thanks, Richard.

Here is the entry for Turtons from Leader's History of the Corporation of Cutlers.  The Local Studies library has both volumes, they are huge books about 2 foot by 3 foot.  Using the key the full entry for John Turton is:

Turton John, son of John, Sheffield Park, shoemaker; to Woollen William Sheffield Park, cutler; 7 years from 1776, Freedom taken 1791

So he did complete his apprenticeship, but did not take his Freedom until 9 years after he had come out of his apprenticeship.  This was not unusual, especially at the end of the eighteenth century when "the Act of 1791 brought in large numbers who, not having cared to claim the privilege of Freedom during the disorganisation of the Company's affairs, availed themselves of their long dormant privilege under the new regime".  The 1791 Act repealed much of the original 1624 Act which required a 7 year apprenticeship and a limited number of apprentices per master.  The new act allowed the sale of Freedoms to outsiders for £20 plus fees.  The result was a huge increase - in 1791-2 1,346 freemen were admitted and 482 apprenticeships were admitted, and this level continued for many years, the cutlery trade then being open to almost anyone who wished.  Further deregulation was implemented with the 1814 Act, which put the Company into the doldrums, as it then seemed to serve no real purpose.

59c35a4e0b584_TurtonApprentices.png.a6a0edaeb436911ba43e12b4f47ed365.png

• Thanks 1

Hi Edmund, thank you so much for looking this up for me I really appreciate it. Is John Leader the 'Leader' in Leader Road Hillsborough I wonder? Just a thought. All I need to do is find a date of birth now! Many thanks again, 

Regards, Richard

10 hours ago, Richard Turton said:

Hi Edmund, thank you so much for looking this up for me I really appreciate it. Is John Leader the 'Leader' in Leader Road Hillsborough I wonder? Just a thought. All I need to do is find a date of birth now! Many thanks again, 

Regards, Richard

A possibility - a John Turton son a John Turton (shoemaker) was baptised on December 1st 1768 at Hill Top Chapel of Ease, Attercliffe (page 32).  A delayed baptism? Not sure what is meant by "Craft" as the father's occupation.

59c4b6500944e_JohnTurtonbaptismAttercliffe1768.png.b51d9b3adbf8ebf67e6735b49eff8b24.png

On 9/22/2017 at 08:06, Edmund said:

A possibility - a John Turton son a John Turton (shoemaker) was baptised on December 1st 1768 at Hill Top Chapel of Ease, Attercliffe (page 32).  A delayed baptism? Not sure what is meant by "Craft" as the father's occupation.

59c4b6500944e_JohnTurtonbaptismAttercliffe1768.png.b51d9b3adbf8ebf67e6735b49eff8b24.png

Hi, sorry about the delay, work blah blah blah. Yes, I agree, it is most certainly a possibility. There can't surely have been that many John's born the son of John Turton in such a relatively short space of time. Craft? Interesting. Would making shoes be deemed a craft or was there a previous occupation prior to shoemaking? At least it is something to chew over. So far I have been able to find very very little. There is a possible marriage to Hannah Kitchen, 23 May 1796 but I need more evidence yet to confirm it. Many thanks for finding this though, I am quite new to genealogy so I don't know all the ins and outs yet. Regards, Richard