Granville Square.

russbeck

Does anyone have any old pictures which show the roundabout at the bottom of Granville Road as it used to be? The Google map from 1999 shows the area and pictures might include the British Rail goods yard and the Renault dealership Earnst & Young on Suffolk Rd. At the bottom of St. Marys road was the old Montgomery pub which was demolished by a lorry in 1964 ( I cycled past the accident just after it happened ).

Where's Granville College? Shouldn't it be in that big triangle on the right with the big trees in it?

Granville College is in the photo (the north side) now demolished, Suffolk Road is to the left,

Shrewsbury Road is where the light colored car is, bottom of Granville Road on the right.

Yea thanks for that, I've already seen that pic It's the only one I could find that actually has part of the roundabout on. As a youngster I used to spend ages round there on my bike and I can remember when it was spare ground at the side of Sheaf Gardens before DC Cook car sales was built. Also I used to visit a freind who lived in an old farmhouse which was accessed via a driveway at the bottom of Granville Rd. The farm is shown on maps but I've had no luck with any pics. I am angry with myself because I've been into photography sinse I was about 12 y/o so why didn't I photograph my local area. D'oh!

Yea thanks for that, I've already seen that pic It's the only one I could find that actually has part of the roundabout on. As a youngster I used to spend ages round there on my bike and I can remember when it was spare ground at the side of Sheaf Gardens before DC Cook car sales was built. Also I used to visit a freind who lived in an old farmhouse which was accessed via a driveway at the bottom of Granville Rd. The farm is shown on maps but I've had no luck with any pics. I am angry with myself because I've been into photography sinse I was about 12 y/o so why didn't I photograph my local area. D'oh!

Yes, I can remember you Russell

www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk-the-farm

;-)

Wow, the picture with the train and house in the background is brilliant and the postings make very interesting reading. The name David Watson definately rings a bell and I knew at the time the house was somthing to do with British Rail. I also remember going with David and freinds accross Queens road and into the water tunnel on our adventures. The arial photo shows the house and entrance clearly.

Where's Granville College? Shouldn't it be in that big triangle on the right with the big trees in it?

​Granville College was a bit further up Granville Road. I went there 1960 when only the workshop block was open and the main building was not completed. As there was no canteen yet 3 naughty lads went lads went down to the pub mentioned at lunchtime and ordered a pint. The woman serving said "Are you 18" one said "no" and the others immediately said "Of course we are". We all then got our first taste of beer!   

There's a couple of nice aerial shots on P.S. at the links here:

Farm Bridge (Granville Square) - Bottom Right - http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12347&pos=1&action=zoom&id=15268

Farm Bridge (Granville Square) - Top Right - http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12350&pos=1&action=zoom&id=15271

and a photo looking down Suffolk Road, towards Queens Road, with the Farm and Lodge in the left background

Suffolk Road to Farm Bridge (Granville Square) - http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u04517&pos=1&action=zoom&id=39625

One more, looking up Granville Road, from St. Mary's Road

St. Mary's Road to Granville Road - http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16368&pos=1&action=zoom&id=19097