Charlie Peace Of Nottingham

miked

Didn't he live in Nottingham for a time while on the run for murder?

They've probably got as good a claim on him as Leicester have on Richard of York!

Richard III he wasn't born in York but in Northamptonshire at Fotherinhay Castle and was Duke of Richmond before Duke of York so there's probably loads of places that could claim him. Prince Charles is Marquis of Bute and Duke of Lancaster but I'm willing to bet he won't be buried there or Wales.

To me he was buried a long time in Leicester and their University dug him up and proved his identity so why shouldn't he be reburied in Leicester? If he had remained king he would have been buried at Westminster, not York,

Re Charles Peace just think they would have had bigger audience for Charles Peace Play in Sheffield.

And do you know Dronfield Players have a production of "Stirrings"? What about Sheffield?

http://www.dlog.org.uk/

OMG - if I had known sooner, I would certainly have booked some time off and some tickets.

I remember seeing this at The Crucible Theatre back in the 70's, but I have never seen it offered since.

What are the Stirrings? Civil War? War of Roses? Outrages? Chartist?

Predominantly, but not entirely, a representation in music and song, of the times of William Broadhead and the activities of the Saw Grinders Union.

I seem to recall a couple of lines from a couple of the songs, which went something like:-

"Though coal was cheap in Sheffield and labour costs were low, the price of gas was twice as much as anywhere else at all"

"Bill Broadhead kept the Royal George, it stood on Carver Street, and there for recreation, the Sheffield Grinders meet"

Definately worth the price of a ticket, if you can afford the time.

Showing my age, but I saw the original production at the Sheffield Playhouse. It's fair to say that was where the first stirrings of my interest in local history began. As UR says, well worth seeing.