PLAYGROUND GAMES

Guest coffee cup

Guest coffee cup

What playground games do you remember playing at school at break time ?

I remember playing

Finger, Thumb or Rusty Bum

Conkers

Tag

French Skipping (with elastic)

Rope Skipping

Piggy in the Middle ( I always seemed to be the Piggy which wasn't really fair as I was the smallest)

There came a Duke a riding - I remember this from Primary school , but all I can remember about it is walking round the school yard with a couple of friends, arms linked shouting " Who wants to play at came a duke a riding ?, NO BOYS " (we really shouted that bit), but I can not remember what it involved, can anyone else remember it ?

I am guessing that a few of the above are no longer played in the school grounds for health & saftey reasons, even though it didn't do us any harm, and I don't remember anyone getting hurt.

:( :(

french skipping is still played my 10 year old daughter went through a phase of playing it with her friends last summer.. i remember the hoopla thing it was a hoop placed around your ankle with a ball attached to it with elastic you used to swirl it round and jump over the ball ouch!!! and what about the 2 hard balls attached by something i cant remember what that you got going the balls used to hit each other below your wrist then above your wrist done with a flicking action i think!!1

Guest coffee cup

"Clackers", I had some of those, my balls were orange. Back then they tried to ban them because a lot of people broke their wrist, I remember the pain when the balls hit the wrist instead of each other. (Balls were attatched to pieces of cord)

I guess that was the 70's when everyone went "Clacker Crazy"

Also remember the hoop thing that went round your ankle, mine had a kind of rubber disc thing attached rather than a ball. Can't remember what they were called though.

lollollol lol

Finger, Thumb or Rusty Bum

Conkers

Tag

French Skipping (with elastic)

Rope Skipping

Piggy in the Middle ( I always seemed to be the Piggy which wasn't really fair as I was the smallest)

Remember playing these as a kid but also add Marbles to the list. Is it true they have now banned kids from playing conkers at school??

"Clackers", I had some of those, my balls were orange. Back then they tried to ban them because a lot of people broke their wrist, I remember the pain when the balls hit the wrist instead of each other. (Balls were attatched to pieces of cord)

I have sooo many things I want to come back with on this post but I am just going to bite my tongue lollol :rolleyes:

Guest coffee cup

I have sooo many things I want to come back with on this post but I am just going to bite my tongue lollol:rolleyes:

Sorry to all those faint hearted members, what I meant to say in reply to student nurses's post was the PLASTIC BALLS on my clackers were orange, there were clackers in varoius colours, never the less I guess the pain was the same , what ever the colour. :o:o

And yes according to the DailyExpress last Autum, Conkers had been banned in some schools, as well as finger, thumb or rusty bum for fear of damage to those taking part.

What is this world coming to ??

:o:(:o :(

Guest mackyD

To be honest the only thing I can remember playing in the school yard out of the above mentioned games was the skipping, but what I remember most was playing at 'Charlies Angels' (yes I was a 70's child!) and getting really annoyed when I wasn't Kelly!

To be honest the only thing I can remember playing in the school yard out of the above mentioned games was the skipping, but what I remember most was playing at 'Charlies Angels' (yes I was a 70's child!) and getting really annoyed when I wasn't Kelly!

Now I am really hoping that you are a female MackyD lol

Guest nosy nellie

we were always outside playing,different times of the year brought different fads and games.some i remember are.

kick can.

five stones.

whip and top.

hopscotch.

ball in a nylon stocking.

film stars.

two balls.

hand stand.

delivo.

fine thing or a very fine thing.

swinging on a rope wrapped around a gas lamp.

blind mans bluff.

statues.

there were no end to the things we could do we never said we were bored

Guest coffee cup

we were always outside playing,different times of the year brought different fads and games.some i remember are.

kick can.

five stones.

whip and top.

hopscotch.

film stars.

two balls.

hand stand.

delivo.

blind mans bluff.

statues.

God what year was this

Guest nosy nellie

it was a very good year,a child of the forties,are their any more out there.

surely i cannot be the only one left.

Guest coffee cup

Well before my time

Thought the 60's were also very good years as well

Guest tsavo

Well that makes at least two of us NN! I'm sure there are more....if they care to admit it. We can only wait and see.... lollol lol

Guest carlie167

kick can.

five stones.

whip and top.

hopscotch.

film stars.

two balls.

hand stand.

delivo.

blind mans bluff.

statues.

Guest coffee cup

kick can.

five stones.

whip and top.

hopscotch.

film stars.

two balls.

hand stand.

delivo.

blind mans bluff.

statues.

there were no end to the things we could do we never said we were bored[/quote

Sorry I dropped a major clanger, see my next post.

Guest carlie167

hi from a child of the 50s, i can remember playing most of the games, but what was delivo? cant remember that one ^_^

Guest nosy nellie

two balls was more or less juggling with two balls but throwing them against a wall.

delivo was a hide and seek game.

i feel as if i was born when the last dinasaurs were dying out.

after all this is a history forum. lol lol

Guest tommo

I have to admit I am also a child of the forties. In another 130 working days I'll still be a child of the forties - I refuse to be an OAP. :blink:

I have to admit I am also a child of the forties. In another 130 working days I'll still be a child of the forties - I refuse to be an OAP. :blink:

Surely you mean Elderly Citizen not OAP , and don't forget ...

Your only as old as you feel .. 'It's when you you stop feeling your old' lol

Guest plain talker

We used to play a couple of games with tennis balls (2-balls) where we'd throw the balls at the wall in turn:

one was "one, two, three, o'lary" which went (oddly enough lol !)

"one, two, three, o'lary

four-five-six o'lary,

seven, eight, nine o'lary

ten, eleven start again, 2-3 o'lary"

And Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, Next-door Neighbour Carry-On!" where we "2-balled" the tennis balls, and, at the words "carry-on" the next girl in line had to seamlessly take over the "2-balling" against the wall, not dropping the ball, repeating the rhyme, then passing the balls again, and the next person, again, in line, seamlessly taking over.

We played many forms of "tiggy"/ "tig":- tiggy off't ground, tiggy lamppost, tiggy-ball to name but three...

We'd skip to all sorts of rhymes, back then (30/40 yrs ago.)

"All in together girls! Never mind the weather girls! When it is your birthday, please jump out/ in"

Boomer car, boomer car, number 28...

"Teddy bear, teddy bear"

I remember one that is unacceptable to sing now, because of the offensive "n-word" in it:-

"I know an (N-word) boy, and he's double jointed, he gave me a kiss and he made me disappointed!" .

We did "french skipping", and we'd do "double dutch" (which was two skipping ropes twirled alternately, which meant you had to dodge the rope double-time.

The other rhyme I remember skipping to was "salt-mustard- vinegar- PEPPER!" where the rope would be twirled furiously and at high speed, upon the word "pepper!" and the girls would count how manytimes you'd "papper", (ie jump the rope, without stumbling)

We would play "Poor Mary What'cha Weeping For, On A Fine Summer's Day?" and "The Farmer's In His Dell/Den", "In And Out The Dusty Buebells" and "Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush".

We'd also do the "Hokey-kokey" as well.

We'd "dip" (a way of determining who would be "it" for tig or "grandmother's footsteps/ british bulldog type games.

"Ip, dip-dip,

My blue ship

Sailing on the water

like a cup and saucer...

Ip, dip-dip

you're not IT!"

or "one potato":-

one potato two potato, three potato , four

five potato, six potato, seven potato more.."

"eeny meeny miney mo":-

I knew three versions of this...

"eeny-meeny, miney-mo,

sit your baby on the "Po' (potty)

When 'es done

wipe 'is bum

eeny-meeny, miney-mo

'oh - you- tee' spells "out"

The other two versions were

"catch a tiger by the toe if he ro-ars, let him go.." or

"catch an (N-word) by the toe if he hollers, let him go" (again, this is unacceptable, these days because of the offensive word contained in it.)

We'd also play "The Big Ship Sails On The Alley-Alley-oe" which was played a little like "oranges and lemons" but the players would remain linked, as they wove in and out of each other's arms, and would end up all joined in a circle, with our hands held, a-la the singing of "auld lang syne"

Ooh, the memories!

(hopscotch was also a biggie amongst my frinds)

My childhood in the fifties was always full of things to do, I never said I was bored, otherwise mum would find me something to do!

Hop Scotch was very popular,

Cricket where we chalked the stumps on the wall, also french cricket

There was always a mum or two who would turn the skipping rope, 'Jelly on a plate' was one of the skipping songs, along with all the others mentioned.

We also played Kick Can, our dog (a collie) whould be the one to fetch the can :), if we weren't out playing, kids used to call for the dog to come and play, she was good at all the ball games too!

2 balls, was always a favourite with the girls.

In the playground, the boys used to play a game with cigarette cards, throwing them upto a wall, they also did it with coins?

Treasure Trail, one of the older kids would set a trail around the streets, using chalk to draw arrows and set clues.

Delavio - our version in Attercliffe. Was a type of hide and seek/tig game, played over many streets usually.

Whip and Tops, many a broken window, the neighbours never bothered too much as one of the men would always repair them.

Other things that kept us out of trouble in the long summer holidays:

building a cart, a find of a full set of wheels was real treasure.

building a bike from loads of bits of old bikes, my 2 brothers would spend weeks doing this

catching a bus from town to Fox House, we spent all day playing by the river, all we had was jam sandwiches and a bottle of water.

roller skates - I never managed to get the hang of those things

Many hours catching sticklebacks in the canal, while the older kids would swim in it.

High Hazels Park was always popular if we didn't have any bus fare for anywhere else.

Attercliffe baths, it was always busy!

Millhouses Park was always a treat.

Marion C

We used to play a couple of games with tennis balls (2-balls) where we'd throw the balls at the wall in turn:

one was "one, two, three, o'lary" which went (oddly enough lol !)

"one, two, three, o'lary

four-five-six o'lary,

seven, eight, nine o'lary

ten, eleven start again, 2-3 o'lary"

And Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, Next-door Neighbour Carry-On!" where we "2-balled" the tennis balls, and, at the words "carry-on" the next girl in line had to seamlessly take over the "2-balling" against the wall, not dropping the ball, repeating the rhyme, then passing the balls again, and the next person, again, in line, seamlessly taking over.

We played many forms of "tiggy"/ "tig":- tiggy off't ground, tiggy lamppost, tiggy-ball to name but three...

We'd skip to all sorts of rhymes, back then (30/40 yrs ago.)

"All in together girls! Never mind the weather girls! When it is your birthday, please jump out/ in"

Boomer car, boomer car, number 28...

"Teddy bear, teddy bear"

I remember one that is unacceptable to sing now, because of the offensive "n-word" in it:-

"I know an (N-word) boy, and he's double jointed, he gave me a kiss and he made me disappointed!" .

We did "french skipping", and we'd do "double dutch" (which was two skipping ropes twirled alternately, which meant you had to dodge the rope double-time.

The other rhyme I remember skipping to was "salt-mustard- vinegar- PEPPER!" where the rope would be twirled furiously and at high speed, upon the word "pepper!" and the girls would count how manytimes you'd "papper", (ie jump the rope, without stumbling)

We would play "Poor Mary What'cha Weeping For, On A Fine Summer's Day?" and "The Farmer's In His Dell/Den", "In And Out The Dusty Buebells" and "Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush".

We'd also do the "Hokey-kokey" as well.

We'd "dip" (a way of determining who would be "it" for tig or "grandmother's footsteps/ british bulldog type games.

"Ip, dip-dip,

My blue ship

Sailing on the water

like a cup and saucer...

Ip, dip-dip

you're not IT!"

or "one potato":-

one potato two potato, three potato , four

five potato, six potato, seven potato more.."

"eeny meeny miney mo":-

I knew three versions of this...

"eeny-meeny, miney-mo,

sit your baby on the "Po' (potty)

When 'es done

wipe 'is bum

eeny-meeny, miney-mo

'oh - you- tee' spells "out"

The other two versions were

"catch a tiger by the toe if he ro-ars, let him go.." or

"catch an (N-word) by the toe if he hollers, let him go" (again, this is unacceptable, these days because of the offensive word contained in it.)

We'd also play "The Big Ship Sails On The Alley-Alley-oe" which was played a little like "oranges and lemons" but the players would remain linked, as they wove in and out of each other's arms, and would end up all joined in a circle, with our hands held, a-la the singing of "auld lang syne"

Ooh, the memories!

(hopscotch was also a biggie amongst my frinds)

Oh wow, this brings back some brill memories, I had forgotten all the rhymes, brought back the playgrounds at Broomhill School and Nethergreen with a vengance, Thank you lol

Also remember the hoop thing that went round your ankle, mine had a kind of rubber disc thing attached rather than a ball. Can't remember what they were called though.

lollollollol

Just bought a set of these off ebay for a friend of mine in Greece, she used to have them in Germany when she was a child. Mine were pink ;-) ;-)