Silverplate Markings

Stuart0742

I think I read somewhere that the reason that plated goods were often stamped with meaningless symbols, was to make them look a bit like silver markings, although that usually involved the use of symbols such as shields or crowns etc.

Other than that, Could these three be S then a stylised EP followed by a stylised P ? Possibly representing Silver - "Electroplate" - Plate ?

I'm pretty sure they won't have any meaning, except possibly as a way of the factory dating or batching them for their own purpose.

Someone may know better.

[ M & Co ] inside a shield

Marples & Co - Sheffield (possibly)-1900-1907

Active at Napier St, Sheffield (1900-1907). In 1908 the firm became Marples, Wingfield & Wilkins

Source silvercollection.it

Not traced them to Napier Street ?

Marples, Wingfield & Wilkins, electro plate manufacturers, 148 Eyre Street.

Wilkins Harry, electroplate manufacturer, (Marples, Wingfield & Wilkins),

h. 20 Bents Green Road.

(1925).

Also, but may not apply;

Marples & Co., cutlery manufacturers, 92 - 96, Mary Street.

(1901-1925 directories)

Marples Alfred ,cutlery manufacturer, Mary Street;

h. 77 Fitzwalter Road, Park.

(1925)

144 Eyre Street, Sykes Works.

Marples Charles, britannia metal manufacturer.

148 Wingfield W T & Co., electroplate manufacturers.

(1905)

Marples, Wingfield & Wilkins, electroplate manufacturers, 148 Eyre Street.

(1911)

Hello, here I am again replying to an old thread that I came upon looking for information on Marples and Co.

The lettering next to “M&Co” is as has been suggested “S” and a stylised “EP”. The “EP” is saying manufactured by electroplating as ”Vox” so rightly suggested and he is also correct in saying makers did put extra marks on electroplated ware to make the item look more like solid silver. These false types of marks are known as “pseudo hallmarks”. However the “S” should be an important thing to know as it is a good indication that the item was made in Sheffield. Yes I can see that Sheffield is marked underneath in full on this dish but many more items are smaller, as an electroplated teaspoon would be, and you have the full information in a short code. Thus you have the maker, the place and the manufacture method. The older the item the more likely you are to get the coding.

A “B” is commonly present on old Birmingham pieces and “G” on some Glasgow made cutlery and “L” usually means London. Some diverse concerns with more than one “branch” would have possibly “S” & “L” to indicate Sheffield and London bases.

Kalfred

• Thanks 1