Spital Hill

Sheffield Col

I was told many years ago that Spital Hill was so named because it was the site of the first hospital in Sheffield. Can any one validate this ?

The medieval hospital was dedicated to St. Leonard. These institutions were often difficult to differentiate between houses of religion and were often seen to be treating the spirit... which through such sins as gluttony and lust might manifest itself into physical infirmities.

The medieval hospital was dedicated to St. Leonard. These institutions were often difficult to differentiate between houses of religion and were often seen to be treating the spirit... which through such sins as gluttony and lust might manifest itself into physical infirmities.

Though what you are saying is right, since medieval people thought that everything to do with sickness and life itself was to do with God or his actions on the individual, then of course everything would be included.

It was therefore more like a complete care package. I believe you could just go to such places to stay the night or just get some food. So in a way it could be likened to a hotel, hence probably the connection with the word hospitality. Pilgrims were especially welcomed.

It however wasn't like a modern hospital with doctors and nurses to treat only sick people. Such places didn't really come into effect till after the 17th Century. Even then hospitals were generally for the poor or insane. It really should not be seen as the first "hospital" in the modern sense for Sheffield.

The word for hospital actually comes from the Latin for "guest room".

Many thanks for your replys, however the question is still unaswerd, Where did "Spital Hill" get its name from ? There is still the ruins of what I was led to believe was the first victorian hospital just opposite the new Tessco's, is this so ?

Spital Hill gets its name from the abbreviation of Hospital {Spital}As far as I know the earliest non-Medieval Hospital in Sheffield is the 17th century Shrewsbury Hospital on Norfolk Road which after rebuilding was re-opened in 1827. I knew the Wicker area quite well when it was a mass of small steel works with a large railway warehouse a pub and a car distributor but have never heard of it being the home of a Victorian hospital...ruined or otherwise!

As Gramps once stated .......

We need I think to distinguish between the old and new meaning of the word 'hospital'.

The leper, Shrewsbury and Hollis hospitals were really hospices for people unable to fend for themselves in society rather than places for the treatment of the sick and injured. The chapel on Lady's Bridge was also put to this purpose after the abolition of the Chanties.

Hospital...hostel, hospice,(X111 C) asylum for the infirm or destitute(XV C), institute for the care of the sick (XV1 C) from Old French... Hospital...Medieval Latin... hospitale.

Spital... aphetic re-spelling XV11C

OD of English Etymology