Sign in to follow this  
mickjj

Firth Park

My parents always talked of meeting on the "Monkey Run" down Stubbin Lane. That was back in the 30s. In the 50s there were still lots of places at the Terminus where lads and lasses met....with a quick snog in one of the shop entrances if you were lucky... until PC Plod came along with a " let's have yer...move on!" sort of thing. Serious "courting" and it was a trip on the back row of the Capitol ( Essoldo), Paragon, or a little further away ...the Roxy or Sunbeam....always hoping that with money so tight, the girl in question would go Dutch!

Your comment "not a place to hang around". What do you mean by that? When I was a lad, we used to play football in front of the Co-op and Barrons in the evenings until the coppers chased us off. Fortunately, they never caught us. Later, it was the meeting point for all the lads and their girlfriends. Even up to late evening, the was always some "action" there.

We went for a nostalgia trip to Firth Park this friday & I know what he mean't .......we called at Hartley Brook chippie ( ex Queenies )

& I felt deceidedly unsafe sat in the car whilst my hubby fetched the fish & chip's, it's horrible now as was the chips & we won't be going again in a hurry !!!

We went for a nostalgia trip to Firth Park this friday & I know what he mean't .......we called at Hartley Brook chippie ( ex Queenies )

& I felt deceidedly unsafe sat in the car whilst my hubby fetched the fish & chip's, it's horrible now as was the chips & we won't be going again in a hurry !!!

I can understand what you mean. My brother is still over there and he says that there are "no go areas" around Shiregreen and Firth Park. Three years ago, he took my South African wife to where we were brought up on Horninglow Road ( I couldn't make the trip, business commitments) and he said he felt like crying when he saw the state that it was in. Is there no pride anymore?

Self evidently, not a lot. I was brought up in my early years on Downham Road . I last visited the road back in 1996 and even then the area was becoming pretty rough....But I recall even in the 1950s some of it was rough even then!