Firth Park

mickjj

i remember being taken here as a child . Firth Park Maternity and Child Clinic Welfare Centre opened June 28th 1938 - is it still on the go?

i remember being taken here as a child . Firth Park Maternity and Child Clinic Welfare Centre opened June 28th 1938 - is it still on the go?

I drove past it just last week while doing the childhood nostalgia trip lol It looks exactly the same. I remember going there for jabs etc as a kid

Firth Park and its Surroundings

Bell Houses demolished c 1925 - I am currently researching local history and collecting material with a view to writing a book about the Firth Park area and its surroundings. Firth Park did not exist before the opening of the actual park in 1875 and was totally rural. Since then the whole area around has changed rapidly over the years, more so in the last 40 or 50 years.

If you any information, photographs, memories or stories you would be willing to share with me about the past, please get in touch. This can be about school, work, play, church, the way we lived, housing, the people we knew or simply some story or memory handed down. Photographs can be copied by myself and returned to the owner if required. The main area of coverage will be Firth Park, Page Hall, Fir Vale up towards Firs Hill, Longley, Sheffield Lane Top, up towards the Flower Estate though anything of particular interest just outside these areas may be included.

If there isn't sufficient material for a book then everything collected will be deposited in the Local Studies Library in Sheffield so it isn't 'lost'.

Thanks

Guest bear2437

I remember Richardsons well the materials for dad's home improvment projects were always bought there. I did not check when I was back to see if they are still there. I am guessing not but looking at the phone number above the shop it has the "2" prefix which only came in after I had emigrated so must have been around for a while.

Do you also remember the Bike shop whic was the last one on the row? again the name escapes me.

richardsons is still there now i didnt realize they had been there so long and the butchers is now a sandwich shop

New life for the boating lake as was.

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org/archives/august-2011-issue/ripples-in-the-pond-new-life-for-old-boating/

Guest Border Reiver

I remember Richardsons well the materials for dad's home improvment projects were always bought there. I did not check when I was back to see if they are still there. I am guessing not but looking at the phone number above the shop it has the "2" prefix which only came in after I had emigrated so must have been around for a while.

Do you also remember the Bike shop whic was the last one on the row? again the name escapes me.

Allen's I think was the name of the bike shop. Went in there a time or two with my mate for inner-tubes, puncture outfits and chains for his bike.

Thanks for reviving this topic dunsbyowl, its the first time I have seen it.

I was fascinated by Mick jj's photographs at the beginning of this post, what an amazing story they tell, not only about the city we all love but about life itself. I look at the old black & white shots, crowds of people out in the streets, the shops bustling with life, their awnings dazzling in the sunlight, tramlines, belisha beacons, old men in flat caps leaning against the railings passing the time of day.

Then I look at the present day photo, how sad and sorry it looks, the shops are boarded up and all the people have disappeared. The railings have stopped them from crossing the road now, thats the domain of the motor car. Even the colour can't cheer things up, it just seems to emphasise the grey sky and the wet roofs.

Is this a fair description of how Sheffield has changed? As most of you are aware, I have no right to pass comment on a city I have visited only twice in the last 40 years but I read many posts on this and other forums along these very lines. I would like to hear your comments if you have any.

You're not far wrong - strange that in the colour photos Firth Park more drab than it does in B&W. Supermarkets haven't helped - people haven't got a lot of money to spend etc. I used to love going there on a Saturday morning now it's not a place you'd want to hang around in for long. There's quite a nice newish cafe in the Park but the wonderful library down towards Page Hall has closed and moved. Progress?

Lived in and around this area all my life - loved it now I hate it and as you say don't like to hang around too long. Go to the libarary but it is not the same at all as the old one. Might be busier where it is sited now but it certainly isn't nicer.

Lyn

I have only just seen this but crikey it brings back memories of collecting the free Orange Juice.

What was the name of the shop on the corner of Bellhouse Road and Sicey Avenue? Wasn't it a Bakery?

Styan's ?

C E Styan Ltd., bakers.

(Kelly's 1965)

I remember, as a child, taking my model boat down to the "duck pond".to sail it! Sometime, I suppose in the very early 1950s, they drained the pond, installed a fountain and paved around it to make a safe footpath. we quickly learned that any sailing had to then be done before 10.00am when they switched on the fountain...any boat that got within the fountains "clutches" was stuck there until the evening when the thing was switched off. Oh, how the Parkkeepers laughed. Latterly, having left the area and then returned, when I took my own children down there I noticed the fountain had gone.

As several people have already said what has happened to Firth Park is really sad. I am now 70, have lived in a few parts of the City but still have very fond memories of Firth Park and of the couple of years spent at school in the Methodist Church hall!

Pond drained 1971ish due to stagnant water from the springs running into it. I had just bought my five yr old a boat to use on it while on holiday and he never had chance to sail it.

Lyn

That would be about right...my own lad would have been about 5 the last time I "sailed" the pond. I find it interesting that the spring was said to be "stagnant" as spring water runs and only still water becomes stagnant. More likely, someone had an alternative agenda for the pond????

Lyn1...I think you and I may have been contemporaries . I went to Hucklow Road school and left , aged 10 , in Miss Brown's class!

That would be about right...my own lad would have been about 5 the last time I "sailed" the pond. I find it interesting that the spring was said to be "stagnant" as spring water runs and only still water becomes stagnant. More likely, someone had an alternative agenda for the pond????

Lyn1...I think you and I may have been contemporaries . I went to Hucklow Road school and left , aged 10 , in Miss Brown's class!

I lived Hamilton Rd until 5yrs of age went to Owler Lane, then moved to Flower estate & Shiregreen school but my grandparents lived still on Hamilton Rd. Returned To Hamilton Rd and moved around 30 plus yrs ago to Lane Top.

Lyn

I thught I had read that you attended Hucklow Road. After a spell on Littledale we moved to Shiregreen ...but I moved to Lane Top in 1965...so our paths might well have crossed.

My favourite place at the Terminus was Aunt Gladys and her "Drink Shop"... more formally known as the Mikado. Owler Lane was where the dreaded school dentist practised...I still have nightmares!

Ever spend any time in here?

attachicon.gifFPB.jpg

It has only taken six years to answer this but yes, I used to work on the Pin Machines when I was an apprentice at the GPO. Also I was one of the organisers of the Quadrant Football Club that was comprised of all the Members of the Bar upstairs. Great place and had great times there.

Yes that was the best, another photo - was Freidrichs was on the left here? Do you also remember the carefully arranged displays of Hendersons bottles and Cunninghams Pickle jars biggrin.gif

attachicon.gifbellhouser.jpg

Crikey that photo takes me back. I think it was Sykes Barbers where my Mom took me for my haircuts. We used to catch the Bus to go to my Grandmas on Concord Road. The first bus top was for the Wincobank bus. Where Kenyons shop is was the best shop in Firth Park, The Toy Shop! A magic wonderland and the place I used to get a "scutch" for pestering my Mom and Dad for new Toys. Great days!!

You're not far wrong - strange that in the colour photos Firth Park more drab than it does in B&W. Supermarkets haven't helped - people haven't got a lot of money to spend etc. I used to love going there on a Saturday morning now it's not a place you'd want to hang around in for long. There's quite a nice newish cafe in the Park but the wonderful library down towards Page Hall has closed and moved. Progress?

Your comment "not a place to hang around". What do you mean by that? When I was a lad, we used to play football in front of the Co-op and Barrons in the evenings until the coppers chased us off. Fortunately, they never caught us. Later, it was the meeting point for all the lads and their girlfriends. Even up to late evening, the was always some "action" there.