Firth Park

mickjj

31 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

The map was revised around 1920, the fountain does not appear to be marked on the 1930-34 map.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/100949849#zoom=6&lat=2857&lon=7367&layers=BT

Now the question is.... What happened to it, was it moved to another location out of the Park? 

I remember the "Day Nursery" but can't say I remember it there. 

Does anybody have any recollection of it in this area? 

I always imagined the Nursery was built during WW2. …can’t imagine there being demand for a nursery in the days before then of mass unemployment.

I have a dim memory of a drinking fountain on a pedestal in that area of the park.

12 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

I always imagined the Nursery was built during WW2. …can’t imagine there being demand for a nursery in the days before then of mass unemployment.

I have a dim memory of a drinking fountain on a pedestal in that area of the park.

I have a recollection of the Nursery being a long dark green coloured probably wooden building but the years since has probably dulled my memory. Not having any association with it, just remember young mums collecting their offspring. 

22 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

I thought it was white(ish). I wonder if there’s a photo?

This is the best one I've found. I think you're right Lysanderix about the colour. You have a better recollection than me. 

u06782.jpg.34ab97b813eeab958d98d3ad367b6c1f.jpgu06782

Firth Park Hucklow Road. 24th April 1972.

Photographer: SCC Engineer and Surveyor. 

On 17/11/2023 at 17:21, Lysanderix said:

On 17/11/2023 at 17:33, Ponytail said:

I have a recollection of the Nursery being a long dark green coloured probably wooden building but the years since has probably dulled my memory. Not having any association with it, just remember young mums collecting their offspring. 

On 17/11/2023 at 17:55, Lysanderix said:

I thought it was white(ish). I wonder if there’s a photo?

Fpk_nu.jpg

The nursery was a white building within the area where the present car park is near where the playground was until recent times. Definitely within the park boundary.

An interesting photograph…..the housing looks fairly new and the tram is open ended so I imagine the pic was taken in the late 20s/ early 30s. Not  sure what the white building is…but it’s not the nursery which, as Lyn says, was within the park boundary and somewhat larger .The open space behind the white building is where the Graves Trust Houses would be built in the late 1930s.

Do we have a date for the aerial photo? I imagine it’s early 1950 ish as it clearly shows the roundabout at the junction of Stubbin Lane, Sicey Avenue, Firth Park Road and Hucklow Road. The roundabout was built and opened sometime then. It was notable, in those dreary days, for having coloured lights around its edge……the tram going through the middle……as can be seen!

The  photo also shows the Nursery as well as the Boys Brigade hut ,Paragon Cinema, St Hilda’s Church, Firth Park Methodist Church and schoolroom as well as the Welfare Clinic…….from where ,as a small boy ,we obtained the most delicious “Welfare Cod Liver Oil and Malt!”

7 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

An interesting photograph…..the housing looks fairly new and the tram is open ended so I imagine the pic was taken in the late 20s/ early 30s. Not  sure what the white building is…but it’s not the nursery which, as Lyn says, was within the park boundary and somewhat larger .The open space behind the white building is where the Graves Trust Houses would be built in the late 1930s.

Correct 1926. Hard to see but it looks like a short canopy tramcar, if so I think they had all been withdrawn by 1931.

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/collections/aerial-photos/record/EPW015457

firth_park_1926.png

When you look at the amount of new Council housing( I even spotted the house in which I lived until I was 10) and you realise this was just one area of Council house development you begin to see just how extensive was the campaign to…” Build homes fit for heroes”.

• Like 1