Firth Park

mickjj

Here are a couple of comparison shots of Firth Park from the fifties to present day.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-14-1181016458.jpg,http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-14-1181016769.jpg

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-14-1181016480.jpg,

We used to live off Hucklow Road in the 1970s and had family up Bellhouse Road. It was a thriving shopping centre with everything you could ever went before "Superstores" starting killing off little shops. I remember there were 2 fantastic butchers shops. It looks so desolate now - I thought what's the difference - the people have disappeared!

Anyway here's my contribution! c.1911 Perhaps people bemoaned the way this changed!

Sorry that's Bellhouse road ! One shop on right.

One of the two butchers was "Freidrich's" the pork butchers. they used to have all the sausages and black puddings hung in the window,sawdust on the tiled floor and made the finest pork pies known to man.

One of the two butchers was "Freidrich's" the pork butchers. they used to have all the sausages and black puddings hung in the window,sawdust on the tiled floor and made the finest pork pies known to man.

Yes that was the best, another photo - was Freidrichs was on the left here? Do you also remember the carefully arranged displays of Hendersons bottles and Cunninghams Pickle jars lol

Yes that was the best, another photo - was Freidrichs was on the left here? Do you also remember the carefully arranged displays of Hendersons bottles and Cunninghams Pickle jars lol

Yes It was an the left, Watsons was the other butcher that sold lamb, beef etc but Freidrichs had the pork market cornered. I am salavating thinking of their products and the Cunninghams and hendersons. It is funny when you move away you really miss the local products. I do stock up though on my visits home.

Yes It was an the left, Watsons was the other butcher that sold lamb, beef etc but Freidrichs had the pork market cornered. I am salavating thinking of their products and the Cunninghams and hendersons. It is funny when you move away you really miss the local products. I do stock up though on my visits home.

Mickjj

Just another memory Jogger!

Mickjj

Just another memory Jogger!

That brings back memories Dunsbyowl, i used to work on the Wicker and Friedrich's was a regular call.

Two dripping cakes for breakfast and a greasy pork sarnie for lunch, makes me hungry thinking about it. lol

I remember Friedrichs in the wicker , it was on the same side as the Studio 7. Here is another one you may be able to help me with. Look at the picture of what is now the library. The main part used to be the B&C Co-op but on the right hand side used to be an electonic store whicjh had a record department downstairs. I think it was called "Telefusion" but I am not sure. I know I bought my first ever record there, "SUnshine Superman" by Donavan for 6/8. Do you remember the store?? Also what was the name of the fish shop up the lane to the right of it????

I remember Friedrichs in the wicker , it was on the same side as the Studio 7. Here is another one you may be able to help me with. Look at the picture of what is now the library. The main part used to be the B&C Co-op but on the right hand side used to be an electonic store whicjh had a record department downstairs. I think it was called "Telefusion" but I am not sure. I know I bought my first ever record there, "SUnshine Superman" by Donavan for 6/8. Do you remember the store?? Also what was the name of the fish shop up the lane to the right of it????

Sorry gou got me there - I remember the shops but not the names. :angry:

Ever spend any time in here?

I spent many a wasted teenage hour in the "Alley" being "up to no good" lol

Hi mickjj

I am not sure but was it Wild & Son and then became Ian Wilds ??

Ever spend any time in here?

I used to be there for the Monday leage and Wednesdays with S.Y.P.T.E. Shifts permiting.

Firth Park donated to the Town by ......

In what year .... (full date appreciated)

Opened by .....

Last small-white-crumbly deposited by a poodle called ....

Firth Park donated to the Town by ......Mark Firth (of Firth Brown fame)

In what year .... (full date appreciated)....August 1875

Opened by ..... HRH The Prince of Wales

Last small-white-crumbly deposited by a poodle called .... Fi Fi

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-14-1181370195.jpg,

Another then and now shot

Hi mickjj

Found this on the south yorksire site.

Hi mickjj

I am not sure but was it Wild & Son and then became Ian Wilds ??

Yes Syrup you are correct the caption to this photo reads the "jennel betwen the two shops led to Wild's wet fish shop"!

Another good butcher which my family used and an old style DIY shop!

I remember Richardsons well the materials for dad's home improvment projects were always bought there. I did not check when I was back to see if they are still there. I am guessing not but looking at the phone number above the shop it has the "2" prefix which only came in after I had emigrated so must have been around for a while.

Do you also remember the Bike shop whic was the last one on the row? again the name escapes me.

I remember there was a big green notice board at the entrance explaining about Firth's donation - a can still see it now - probably vandalised and long gone now. I think this print from the Ill London News is of the actual opening in the park itself.

I remember Richardsons well the materials for dad's home improvment projects were always bought there. I did not check when I was back to see if they are still there. I am guessing not but looking at the phone number above the shop it has the "2" prefix which only came in after I had emigrated so must have been around for a while.

Do you also remember the Bike shop whic was the last one on the row? again the name escapes me.

Can't remember that one - It was in this row yes? I assume this was from the war ? Do you think these sandbags were there to protect that police box?

The bike shop was JOHN ALLANS i believe, Later to become ALLANS CYCLES.

The bike shop was JOHN ALLANS i believe, Later to become ALLANS CYCLES.

Oh you are good very good. A schoolfriend of mine won twenty five quid on the premium bonds and bought a brand new bike from there

Another good butcher which my family used and an old style DIY shop!

HI,

John Spencer was a great mate of mine at school and at Boys Brigade. He was R Spencer's son's son !!

Each followed their dad as butchers and John's son ( whose name I can't remember) helped in the shop in the last few years before it shut sometime in the 1990's I think around the time John sadly died in his 50's.

It was a great butchers and we got our meat there until we left Sheffield in 1976.

Memories !!