Cavells High Street

duckweed

I have seen somewhere that Cavells is on the site of the Bell Inn. Is that correct and if so are there any remains of the former pub?

And secondly it says in a document I found re radical history walk that the Bell pub was the place that the prospective Pentrich rioters met. Not sure why they would meet in Sheffield but that is what it says.

Is there any truth behind either rumour?

It was the Bell...not sure whether it was just the Bell, Old Bell or even Blue Bell. I have never ever been inside Cavell's so couldn't say, although I had the occasional pint in the Bell!

As for the Pentrich riots,I agree, why would Derbyshire folk plot in a Sheffield pub...but it's not beyond the bounds of reason. Perhaps the folk memory is confusing that event with an earlier, serious, riot in 1812 Sheffield... when many unemployed men, protesting at the increased price of potatoes rioted in the Market area and even raided the local militia's arsenal.

The original Old Blue Bell was built in 1710 but was rebuilt some time in the 1800s, it was always known as "Up The Passage" as it only had a side entrance not one on High Street.

I think you may be right about riot being Sheffield based. At least now I know about the Bell I can do some more research and see what come up.

Courtesy of Google Street View

I seem to remember that in the 70's the Old Blue Bell was in the basement, you entered near the arrow

or was it at the other end near the present day Cavells?

Sure it was near the arrow

Green , I remember it being a shoe shop where the red arrow is and you went down stairs into the basement

where there were loads and loads of shoes. And I bought loads and loads of shoes but I can't remember the

name of the shop. This must have been in the late 60s and early 70s.

You must go back to tozzins first picture and judge by the tops of the buildings from the Star clock tower

it gives you an idea.

That shows the Old Blue Bell, not the 'New' Old Blue Bell

Green arrow it was next to Dolcis. The red arrow was Stylo's bargain basement I bought loads of shoes as well as going to The blue bell every weekend.

Green arrow it was next to Dolcis. The red arrow was Stylo's bargain basement I bought loads of shoes as well as going to The blue bell every weekend.

Well at least two females agree on this one if only because of the shoe shops. lol

The original Old Blue Bell was built in 1710 but was rebuilt some time in the 1800s, it was always known as "Up The Passage" as it only had a side entrance not one on High Street.

If you look at the photo I posted you can see the clock tower of the Star building, you wouldn't be able to see it from the Blue Arrow Agency, so the entrance was on the left as you face Cavell's and it wasn't down in the basement. There are internal photos on picture Sheffield.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

Courtesy of Google Street View

I seem to remember that in the 70's the Old Blue Bell was in the basement, you entered near the arrow

or was it at the other end near the present day Cavells?

Sure it was near the arrow

I think the basement bar you are thinking about was the Beer Keller just further up High St which is now Lloyds Bank, it was a German type beer cellar.