Find 1637 Map

Guest Lakin

This is part of a map from 1637 of high green.
I am trying to find out who did this map so i can see
parts thats been chopped off.
& is there away of finding out who owned plot 277 at top left in 1637.

I believe this is a recreation map of a now lost map that was part of Harrison's Survey of 1637. It covers a bigger area than the bit you have.

A book by J.G. Ronksley was made in 1908 of the Survey called THE MANOR OF SHEFFIELD. However most people call it Harrison's Survey. It numbers each piece of land giving the size and name plus details of who owns it and what it was used for.

The recreation map you have is based on later maps and that book and by a person working out the size and shape of fields etc. It can be accurate if the field hasn't changed much and still has the same name. However other parts of this map is pure guesswork. For example the area that deals with Sheffield Park is mostly guesswork.

The original survey can be found in the Archives. The Library will have copies of the book for loan. (942.741)

The maps were reconstructed by G Scurfield as part of an article "17th Century Sheffield and its Environs" published in the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, vol 58 pages 147-171. As History Dude said, the Ronksley book is available in the City libraries, and the article is available in the Local Studies Library.

The entry in the original 1637 survey for plot 277, Stones Inge, reads

"The said Charles Smyth and Ralph Phillips hold a part of High greene farme with 2 cottages of 2 bayes & a piece of a Barne of one Baye, & an half of a Close called Stones Inge lying next to ye Lords lands in ye use of Ralph Stones North and North east & packman's lane South east, Morton Lee [Mortomley] Towne & lane South and high greene South west and containing 29 acres 00 roods 26 perch."

Looking at the list these 2 people also held several other plots in the area. It doesn't say who holds the other half of Stones Inge, unless the entry means they each hold half, or more likely the other half is not rented by anyone, and is part of the Lord of the Manor's land.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out they 'held' the land, which means it actually belonged to the Lord of the Manor, to whom they would pay rent. The Lord at the time was the Earl of Arundel and Surrey (among other titles) who owned the Manor by virtue of his marriage to Alatheia, who inherited the land from her father, the Earl of shrewsbury. The 1637 survey was commissioned to record the contents of the Manor and their value.

Far be it for me to contradict Bayleaf, but while these are definitely Scurfield recreations, I do not recall offhand if they were published as part of his YAJ article on 17th Century Sheffield and its Environs. It may have appeared in that article, but it (and a 1790 version covering the same area) does appear in the THAS volume 7 (1951-57) within An Historical Account of the Vegetation in the Sheffield District: the Parish of Ecclesfield in 1637, by Scurfield & Medley.

Lakin, if you cannot find a hard copy, I have most of the THAS volumes in my office and have scanned all of the Scurfield maps from these articles at 1200dpi and stitched them together. Unfortunately, each map file is in excess of 30mb, so it would probably just annoy people if I attempted to upload them. You are, however, welcome to drop in to our office on Friday afternoons if you want to have a look at the maps (or bring a memory stick and take a digital copy). We open our office to local history/heritage groups or interested individuals as part of the Hands on Our Heritage project, but please do email/ring in advance as we may be out in the field.

The copies I have are from the article I referenced, so yes, they were included. I haven't seen the other article, so thanks for the reference! As to uploading them, the file size limit is 64Mb per file, so I don't see any problem. They would be a welcome and excellent addition to this resource.

Alright... I have attached the 10548 x 7093 pixel version. If this causes any problems with the site, or people trying to view/load them, let me know and I will replace it with a reduced version and put the files in a drop box.

OK. It seems I cannot attach the file... so here are the reduced versions for 1637 & 1790 (at 90dpi rather than 600dpi). If anyone wants the originals (10548 x 7093) so they can zoom into unnecessary detail, I will see about setting up a drop box for historic maps.

Thanks T.Hey these are just what I needed. You could open a free Photobucket account & upload it to there. You can link it to this site then.