Sign in to follow this  
sando

Bennett Grange

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help with any History of Bennett Grange, Harrison Lane, Fulwood, as I child I had heard the rumour below found in an extract from The Hall of Waltheof, Or: The Early Condition and Settlement of Hallamshire

In this neighbourhood, as in many other places, there are traditions about underground passages between one big house and another, between a castle and a church, a church and an abbey, and so on. For example it is said that there is an underground passage between Fulwood Hall and Bennett Grange.

I recently passed by again and noticed that lots of work was taking place on this beautiful old manor house, part of which included installation of a subterranean swimming pool, which no doubt gives a great opportunity to seek the tunnel.

Any history of the house would be gratefully appreciated.

According to "Picture Sheffield"....Plaster casts in dining room give date 1580. In 1663 it belonged to Hellen Hall of Fulwood later passing to the Hinds. In 1730 Hellen Hind passed it to her daughter Mary Bennett.

Cheers Lysander, I wonder if the Hinds were the Hinds that owned water wheels in both the Porter and Rivelin valleys. The picture on Picture Sheffield does not appear to reflect the current buildings grandeur. the hose supposedly recently sold for around £2,000,000 according to various websites.

Sold House Prices

Three highest price properties sold in last 12 months in Sheffield:

£2,000,000 - Bennet Grange, Harrison Lane, Sheffield, S10 4PA

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y02107&pos=2&action=zoom&id=49037

I have been told by someone who lived close by that the house was occupied by one of the master cutlers, by the name of Stephenson, the only Stephenson I can find as a master cutler was Sir Henry Kenyon Stephenson, 1st Baronet (16 August 1865 - 20 September 1947. If any can help further I would be grateful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Henry_Kenyon_Stephenson,_1st_Baronet

I don't know of a passage between the two houses. Why would there be one, and what purpose would it serve? However I do know that there is a stone lined land drain near Bennett Grange big enough for an adult to get down. There are many stone-lined drains around the Porter Valley, though not such big ones.