Bennett Grange

sando

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help with any History of Bennett Grange, Harrison Lane, Fulwood, as I child I had heard the rumour below found in an extract from The Hall of Waltheof, Or: The Early Condition and Settlement of Hallamshire

In this neighbourhood, as in many other places, there are traditions about underground passages between one big house and another, between a castle and a church, a church and an abbey, and so on. For example it is said that there is an underground passage between Fulwood Hall and Bennett Grange.

I recently passed by again and noticed that lots of work was taking place on this beautiful old manor house, part of which included installation of a subterranean swimming pool, which no doubt gives a great opportunity to seek the tunnel.

Any history of the house would be gratefully appreciated.

According to "Picture Sheffield"....Plaster casts in dining room give date 1580. In 1663 it belonged to Hellen Hall of Fulwood later passing to the Hinds. In 1730 Hellen Hind passed it to her daughter Mary Bennett.

Cheers Lysander, I wonder if the Hinds were the Hinds that owned water wheels in both the Porter and Rivelin valleys. The picture on Picture Sheffield does not appear to reflect the current buildings grandeur. the hose supposedly recently sold for around £2,000,000 according to various websites.

Sold House Prices

Three highest price properties sold in last 12 months in Sheffield:

£2,000,000 - Bennet Grange, Harrison Lane, Sheffield, S10 4PA

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y02107&pos=2&action=zoom&id=49037

I have been told by someone who lived close by that the house was occupied by one of the master cutlers, by the name of Stephenson, the only Stephenson I can find as a master cutler was Sir Henry Kenyon Stephenson, 1st Baronet (16 August 1865 - 20 September 1947. If any can help further I would be grateful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Henry_Kenyon_Stephenson,_1st_Baronet

I don't know of a passage between the two houses. Why would there be one, and what purpose would it serve? However I do know that there is a stone lined land drain near Bennett Grange big enough for an adult to get down. There are many stone-lined drains around the Porter Valley, though not such big ones.

Sorry - a bit late to this party. My mum and dad worked at Bennett Grange in the late 50's for Mr & Mrs Stephenson. Mr Stephenson (I can't remember their first names) was the brother of Sir Henry Stephenson (who lived nearby). My dad was the gardener/handyman and my mum was housekeeper and chauffeur (dad couldn't drive due to health issues). They lived in a cottage "at the bottom of the garden" although I don't know if that is still there. The Stephenson's owned a steel company in Sheffield that made suspension springs for railway carriages (I did know the name of it but my memory is shot). I remember visiting them when I was about 7. Mrs S was very ladylike and 'proper' but Mr S was really funny (and tall!) and kept rolling me and my sister down the lawn slope. We didn't stay long but I remember that bit really well. I can't remember anything about a tunnel (and mum and dad are no longer with us to ask) but I remember mum saying it used to be home to a group of monks. Dad said that one winter when the snow was really bad they didn't use a snowplough to clear the roads but a snow blower which proceeded to blow a heap of snow over the wall and into the courtyard. Luckily no one was standing there at the time.  

Some background information on the Stephensons:

Sir Henry K. Stephenson (1827 - 1904) had been a prominent public figure after making his fortune in the Stephenson, Blake & Co typefounding business.

Sir Henry K. Stephenson (1865 - 1947) was Master Cutler in 1919 ,Chairman and Managing Director of Stephenson, Blake and Co., Typefounders; Chairman and Director of Thomas Turton and Sons Limited, steel file, saw and spring manufacturer. He was Mayor in 1908 and 1910. He lived at Banner Cross Hall, then Hassop Hall.

By the 1940s, the director of George Butler & Co. cutlers was William Raymond Shirecliffe Stephenson (1898-1977), who was the son of Sir Henry K. Stephenson.   In 1949, W.R.S. Stephenson became Master Cutler.  At that point he was in some capacity at Thomas Turtons. After the Second World War Butler's had difficulty in adapting to the mass market and was eventually liquidated in 1952. Between 1939 and 1947 W.R.S, Stephenson commissioned numeros plans for changes at Bennett Grange from architects Hadfield and Cawkwell.

The family had many links with the university and hospitals, with buildings named after family members.