George Albert Wagland - Served In The Great War

emo924

George Albert Wagland was born in Sheffield in February 1897.

In 1903, his mother, Fanny, died followed in 1907 by the death of his father, Arthur William.

As a result, the family was split up with George being sent to a Dr Barnardo's Home in London where he is shown on the 1911 census.

In 1913, he was sent to Canada aboard the SS Corinthian. It appears he settled in Ontario.

At the outbreak of the Great War, he enlisted into the Canadian Forces at Staffa, Ontario on the 20th January 1916. However, it was to be February 1918 before he was sent to the Front.

He took his discharge in 1919 opting to remain in England rather than return to Canada.

In 1920, he married Alice Holmes in Sheffield and in 1922, their daughter, Marjorie was born.

He died in Sheffield in June 1987 aged 90.

I have recently acquired his 1st WW medals and if anyone has any information regarding George, I would be very grateful to hear from them.

Many thanks

Chris

The family were living on Guernsey Rd in the 1901 census

George's parents -

Wagland, Arthur William (Saw Piercer, age 48). Died at 14 Belgrave Square; Buried on August 27, 1907 in Consecrated ground;  Grave Number 9007, Section T of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
   W
AGLAND, Fanny (Wife of Arthur, age 35). Died at on way to Hospital; Buried on December 2, 1903 in Consecrated ground; 
     Grave Number 9007, Section T of City Road Cemetery,
Sheffield.

George may have been in the homes at Sheffield Union Workhouse prior to being sent to Barnardos. In 1911 he was in the Mile End Mission, London, a Dr Barnardo's Home along with other boys from Sheffield namely – Samuel Tinton 12yrs old, Wm Parkin 12 yrs old, Walter Ross 11 yrs old, Wesley Norton 12yrs old, Norman Hamar 12 yrs, Willis Darlow aged 13yrs  (also sent to Canada, served WW1).  Frederick James Betts 10yrs old, and Frank Lane 7 yrs old.

Lyn

On 14/09/2013 at 11:03, emo924 said:

I have recently acquired his 1st WW medals and if anyone has any information regarding George, I would be very grateful to hear from them.

Many thanks

Chris

George's daughter Marjorie married Kenneth Smith in 1954.  Their sons Stephen R Smith and Michael M Smith were born in London in 1956 and 1958 respectively.  Unfortunately there are many people with these names living in London.

1286449075_MarjorieWaglandLNERCertificate.jpg.365c45799c3bce20a3dc47582e65274d.jpg

Many thanks to those who have posted this extra information. I am very grateful.

I researched as far as I could when I acquired the medals - or at least as far as I thought I could - but wasn't aware his parents were buried in City Road. A visit is on the agenda now.

His daughter appears to have lived on Derbyshire Lane, Norton for several years. I am sure that she would have been living there when I was living literally a couple of hundred yards away - another coincidence in a small world.

I clearly need to revisit his life story so again many thanks for providing further incentives.

I still have George's medals.

Chris

Here is a picture of George's medals - British War and Victory plus a gold 'Welcome Home' medal given to him by

the citizens of Hibbert where it appears he was living before the war.

This would suggest that after the war he returned to Canada before coming home to England where he died in 1987.

Chris

IMG_0001.JPG

• Like 1

I am George Albert's great niece his younger brother Frederick William was my grandfather with whom he was reunited shortly before my grandfathers death. 

My Grandfather also was sent to Barnados in London but was adopted in Northamptonshire.

I have lots of information about the family.