Abacus House 84 Norfolk Street

tozzin

Can anyone remember when this building in Norfolk Street/Norfolk Row was a tobacconist? the side window on the left used to have a large rams head in the window that was a very ornate Snuff container, with silver mounts on the horns and a silver snuff container in the centre of its head, not a very pretty thing but I always stopped and had a look when I past. In the right hand window at the other side of the door, were bowls of different pipe tobaccos.

I cant remember it after the early sixties, I wonder where it went? The building itself goes back to 1791 and it used to have an outer spiral staircase at the rear of the property on Norfolk Row, I seem to think it used to be the Duke of Norfolk's offices, perhaps someone can enlighten me. It has been a Building Society from the late sixties.

From Sheffield Indexers

HYDE, John (Qualifying Property, House).

Residing at Norfolk Street, Sheffield in 1843 - 1844.

Recorded in: Sheffield Burgess Rolls.

Hyde, John (, Accountant).

Residing at 84 Norfolk Street, Sheffield in 1846.

Recorded in: Slaters 1846 Directory, Sheffield.

Hyde, John (, house etc. agent).

Residing at 84 Norfolk Street, Sheffield in 1846.

Recorded in: Slaters 1846 Directory, Sheffield.

Nichols, G. (~, Tailor & Drpr.).

Residing at 84 Norfolk Street, in 1871.

Recorded in: Whites Shefffield & District Directory - 1871.

From London Gazette Setember 30th 1856 (insolvent debtors):

Edward Hewer, formerly of No. 6, Britannia-row, Hoxton, part of the time Chemist and Druggist, and afterwards Surgeon, then of No. 8, Brudenell-place, New Northroad, Hoxton, then of No. 38, Brudenell-place aforesaid, Surgeon, then in lodgings at No. 39, Buckland-street, New North-road, Hoxton, out of business or employ, then of No. 36, Bookham-street, Hoxton, all in Middlesex, out of business or employ, and now of No. 84, Norfolk street, Sheffield, York, Assistant to a Surgeon.

In 1891 Henri Leclere (from Paris) confectioner and engraver, was offering dog collar engraving and shields to fiit to dog collars, from his premises at 84 Norfolk Street. (1s including rivets)

Mrs Eliza F Jones, Tobacconist, 87 Norfolk Street Kelly's 1893 through to at least 1925 - don't get tied down with street numbers, they lie, they change.