Another One Of Sheffield's History Down The Drain Again.

frechylass

Driving down Station Road toward Halfway on my way to Morrisons, I was so gobsmacked to see the old Mill known recently in the last past years as Joseph Glover pub, demolished! I near missed with a bus coming out of a junction. maybe he was just has gobsmacked as me seeing he pulled out in front of me.

The building which dates back to the 1700's, there goes another part of sheffield history. I thought this building was listed, but doing a little homework I found this wasn't so. Why the hell not? How did this building manage to fly out of the net? I still cannot believe SCC was allowed to demolish such an old building. What is their problem? Surely they was enough charm of the building still left into making grand apartments? Now all we will see in its stead is another wasteland up for auction around that area, somewhere which encourage people to fly-tip, or even maybe build ugly houses jammed up together to make homes for a quick buck. Can anyone tell me what is our heritage coming to? For i haven't the foggiest. :/

Even if it had been listed it wouldn't necessarily been protected. The problem is that local people may know something is endangered but on their own are not big enough numbers to launch a protest. If you think a building is in danger re developers you need to put the fact online as soon as possible. But given present Council Attitudes and Government attitudes I am not hopeful unless we can prove their present attitude is likely to lose them votes. English Heritage is being disbanded in effect so we are losing a strong voice there.

Unfortunately this is happening all over the world. Apathy is the word that comes to mind, That Building had potential, pity no one saw it.

One of the problems with old buildings are repair and rebuilding costs. There are no reductions and few grants to do a building up. It becomes cheaper to knock them down and build new. Till this situation changes decent old building will be knocked down. In fact the council might even get a government grant to improve areas. Which basically means clear away old buildings and put new boxes up which most people hate the look of.

Shameful. Was it for sale? Compared to some of the derelict shells I see on 'Renovation Man', this building was the palace of Versailles.

Glovers Flour mill after the fire (burned down14th August 1897) viewed from across the River.

Photographer: H.J. Crapper, Swallow Nest

Same owner, but not the same building as the one at Mosborough/Halfway.

The Hallamshire Historic Buildings Society made an application to have the building listed, but the application was rejected on the grounds that the building had little merit. Being originally in Derbyshire the mill was a typical Midlands type...but, unique in Yorkshire. When the " Mosborough township" was being developed, SCC saw that the disused building had some possible alternative uses and, as such, it was sold...cheaply...to a brewery who converted it into "The Mill". Falling on hard times and closed as a Pub, there were no serious buyers interested in re-opening and retaining the building. As a result,the Council had no option but to agree to its demolition.

The Mill had seen past use as a manufactury of scythes and sickles as well as of milling.