Kendal Scissor Factory 23-31 Carver Street

duckweed

I know this is grade 2 listed and was a scissor Factory but don't know when it was built (only details I can find says early 19thc) or if Kendal refers to original owners and if so whether same company was there till it closed. Appreciate any info you can give of its history.

If the elongated "X" on the map marks an entrance, wouldn't the address be Carver Street ??

Address is Carver Street Richard, not sure where 'Kendal' comes into it

Equally confused by Kendal, assumed it might be after my period of interest.

Address is Carver Street Richard, not sure where 'Kendal' comes into it

"As a result the Kendal Works continues to stand empty and is not the only historic building in the City Centre which desperately needs to be brought back into use."

It says...

23 Carver Street Kendall works, Scissor forge in courtyard. Part of a bar (Crystal ?) No idea which century Kendal relates to mind you.

John Turton and Co. Ltd were around at 21-29 Carver Street (1919-25); also active at Kendal Works, 57 Arundel Street (1898-1916).

Mind you they were at Bow Street 1876-1898, all of which makes me want to say AAAGGGHH !

21 29 Turton John & Co Limited, electro plate manufacturers.
31 Pendleton & Dix, electro platers.

33 Corrie Jn B & Sons, plumbers.

Kelly's 1925

John Turton & Co. Ltd, Kendal Works, Carver Street, S1. Sheffield 22447 (1948)

John Turton and Co. Ltd were around at 21-29 Carver Street (1919-25); also active at Kendal Works, 57 Arundel Street (1898-1916).

Mind you they were at Bow Street 1876-1898, all of which makes me want to say AAAGGGHH !

You've pinched my son's Kendal mint cake!

It was in a very dilapidated condition wasn't it? I do think when someone takes over a grade 2 listed building they should put some info about it. More than just this was once a factory. As you may have gathered I am trying to find the history of all the ex works that have now been turned into bars and galleries etc.