Sheffield Buses 1980's

SteveHB

Could you please, perhaps add this photograph to the post started by SteveHB, entitled "Sheffield Buses 1980's" it would be good to get that post going again.

I loved to drive that bus but never saw it in those colours.

Your wish is my command boginspro :)

Well, thanks "jimmydunneclone" for putting me right. In the 80s I spent many happy days driving on excursions with residents from the many council run OAP establishments around our city. The care they received in those far off days was second to none. I will always remember the looks of gratitude and appreciation I was given whether it was a trip to Buxton, the coast or the Lake District. On one occasion on a trip up to the Lakes we had been held up with roadworks on the Motorway, on arriving at our destination we were just in time to see our boat disappearing in the distance, the next thing it had done a U-turn and came back to a rousing applause to pick everyone up. The attached photo shows the coach getting ready for the journey home. Happy days! W/E.attachicon.gifoap bus 007.JPG

• Like 1

I can remember when it used to cost me 4p on the bus from Anston to Sheffield!!

2p to town too!!

Bring back the 80's!!

Thanks for posting and bringing back the memories!!

I also remember the Curtesy notice about giving up your seat and the strong smell of petrol that made me travel sick!! Also we used to sit downstairs to avoid the smokers!!

On 18/09/2014 at 22:05, SteveHB said:

Your wish is my command boginspro :)

A very belated thank you SteveHB . I have just noticed that the route 60 bus has BUS STATION on the destination indicators, in my time on the buses, 60's, 70's and early 80's I can only remember having the choice of  CITY or  SHEFFIELD,  I wonder if that was introduced after I left or is my memory failing me?

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 00:25, Thorntons girl said:

2p to town too!!

Bring back the 80's!!

I also remember the Curtesy notice about giving up your seat and the strong smell of petrol that made me travel sick!! Also we used to sit downstairs to avoid the smokers!!

the problem of the 2p fare for children and 10p for adults was the rates we had to pay to subsidise this redistribution of wealth scheme. I lived at Bradway with 2 children and was also keeping my aged mother. I had to move to a similar house just over the border in Derbyshire as the rates there were a third of what we had to pay in Sheffield.

On 11/07/2018 at 15:50, Old rider said:

the problem of the 2p fare for children and 10p for adults was the rates we had to pay to subsidise this redistribution of wealth scheme. I lived at Bradway with 2 children and was also keeping my aged mother. I had to move to a similar house just over the border in Derbyshire as the rates there were a third of what we had to pay in Sheffield.

Interesting, I never realised this .

Maybe no to bringing back those fares!

Thanks for the info

On 08/07/2018 at 00:25, Thorntons girl said:

2p to town too!!

Bring back the 80's!!

I also remember when it was 2p when I went to Herries school and back. 

Then they changed the fare to 5p and SYT introduced those big square ticket machines instead of giving your money to the driver. They didn't seem to last very long as we used to grab plastic 5p money from our maths class or use washers the size of 5p back then to put in the ticket machine. That way we would have 5p spare at the end of school to buy a bag spice.