Joseph Nutt Of Wadsley B.1737

popt

I am trying to find the death of Joseph Nutt who lived in Wadsley working as a Pocket Knife maker.

He was married to Nanny Downing and they had a son Joseph who was born in 1766.

Any information appreciated.

PopT

A Joseph Nutt was buried at St Mary's Ecclesfield on 3rd February 1817 aged 82, abode given as Wadsley. This gives a calculated year of birth as 1735 so could be a contender?

Here is more detail of the Nutt in St Mary's (date of death will be 1st Feb) taken from gravestone inscription:

The Joseph mentioned above is in grave 681 with another Joseph born 1763 (probably his son) and Joseph's wife Sarah. If you want to visit the grave there's a graveyard map available somewhere (can't place it at the moment)

Hi Edmond

Thankyou for your post it was just what I was looking for.

I am now looking for the site of Nutt Hall at Wadsley.

William Woolhouse a Saw Grinder was living there in 1851 but after that it seems to have disappeared.

PopT

The Joseph mentioned above is in grave 681 with another Joseph born 1763 (probably his son) and Joseph's wife Sarah. If you want to visit the grave there's a graveyard map available somewhere (can't place it at the moment)

The plan of St Mary's graveyard is at the link below. The Nutt graves 680, 681 are in the middle of plot 5, near the path

http://www.stmarysecclesfield.com/files/Churchyard_Burials/Churchyard_Plans.pdf